Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-30-2004, 10:14 AM

Biggrin Ignition-compression

I'm currently running 11.3:1 compression in my 440 and stock type electronic ignition. Is this a ok combo or should I be running MSD or somthing like that. Ive just learned About the relation between comp and ign. Is there a formula or rule of thumb to go by ???? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-30-2004, 11:26 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Yes,there is. I do not have it in my head though. But, a coil upgrade would be a good idea at a min. IMO.
The MSD is a muliti spark discharger. This insures (Or reallly reallly helps) in igniting all the air and fuel.
The amount of spark need to make a jump on the plug increases with pressure. (For those who don't know) Try a trip to the track/ empty street at night in a industral park where theres no traffic and straight roads or a hwy run.
Get those RPM's up and beaware of any miss fires and about where it occours rpm wise.
One of the best coils I have EVER used is a Jacobs. This WILL hurt someone. Make sure your cap/rotor terminals are not the steel type. Good wires and plugs for your test.
IMO, I would purchase an MSD or = tupe of unit to run. I have had VERY good results from there use in terms of mileage & power. I would never want to run a old car without it ever again.