Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-14-2004, 01:13 AM
Inactive User

Axel Bearings

hey guys. i need to press of my axel bearings and collars, but do not want to have it done professionally. our neighbor's press was not tall enough to do the job. we will not be re-using the collars or the bearings. does anybody have any ideas to what i might be able to do to get these off without having to take the axels in. i guess you could call me a backyard mechanic, i like to do and learn new things myself, and would enjoy staying that way. this way, the cost stays to a minimum. lol. thank you.
Chris
Old 10-14-2004, 02:23 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

take a diegrinder with a cut off whell and split the bearing on two sides or take a cutting torch and cut it off or use common sense and take it to a machen shop and get them done the right way alot less headache
Old 10-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Inactive User

we were tring to keep the machine shop as a last option. the other thing was, we didnt want to cut it off because we dont want to slip and screw up the axel. that could be a costly mistake. is there any way other then that to somehow pound it off, or something? the main thing is that i do not want to risk hurting my axel.....
chris
Old 10-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Inactive User

I've seen guys remove them with hammer and chisel. If you tag the axle a little just dress it out. I've seen a buddy pop them off in one or two wacks. I prefer to use the die grinder and cut off wheel, takes a little longer but it works for me.

If you do the hammer and chisel... be carful of the chance of flying shrapnel... the hardened race could splinter when it breaks and small pieces can fly anywhere.. I got stung on the nose once... bled like a pig... of course everyone that was there helping had to have a laugh at that... a rag or somthing can help avoid that though...

One other piece of advice about the chisel thing, coming from experiance, is hold the chisel with a water pump plier... it avoids things like haveing to talk about the sex life the hammer has with it's mother and trying to send it to eternal existance in fire and brimstone when you miss the chisel head.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:35 PM
Inactive User

Red face

Ive done them in the woods with a splittin mall and the rear bumper.More 1/2 ton fords with too much firewood on than anything else.The other day I had to weld with some jumper cables hooked to a good battery.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:19 PM

holy cow marck that was funny
Old 10-14-2004, 08:45 PM
Inactive User

Laugh

Oh yea-whats not funny is walking out 70 miles from the scene of the screwup.At least during hunting season there are more idiots up there than usual.But then they need CB radio lessons to keep from running into them.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:40 PM

you walked 70 miles dam dude so you really changed them with a axe and and a jack that must be a guiness book thing on auto fixes
Old 10-14-2004, 10:19 PM

My local machine shop would press off a pair for 15 bucks. Its installing them that he wanted 15 a piece. Manual says to cut out the cage with dikes and the outer race along with the bearings would fall away, then you whack the anvil supported inner race with a cape chisel on both sides until it cracks then you slip it off. If you want to try and install them, you could get the bearing hot on a hotplate or something and get the axle COLD as in a chest freezer overnight and slip them together real fast. Make sure you know exactly where your old bearing was with a mark and remember to replace the outer dust seal before you put the new bearing on, they are cheap. I got the 8 3/4 outer seals if anyone wants them, just send me a self addressed/postaged padded envelope and Ill drop them in free (wasnt worth the bearing pressing/new collar fee to replace as they were not leaking, just the inners)