Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-17-2004, 10:33 PM

Default 98 Neon in need of help

Hi All,

I need some help. My brother has a 98 Neon, bone-stock, and is having some problems with it.

It is almost impossible to get started and keep it running. In a 50 ft length from his house to his garage, the car stalled 15 times. Once the car is running and brought up to highway speed, it runs fine. But as soon as you slow down at an intersection, the car dies.

They replaced the ECM about two or three months ago, and everything was fine until the other day when he drove it to work and turned it off. When he came back out at the end of the day, the car started acting this way. No forewarning or any reason to suspect anything.

I don't know much about Neon's, so I didn't have any specific thing to tell him to check on his car. The only things I could think of to check were all of the typical things to look at, like the throttle position sensor, idle air control motor, the mass air flow sensor, and the timing to see if the belt had jumped (unlikely, but worth checking, right?). I also suggested he check all the connections to the new ECM, and all the underhood vacuum lines. He said they all looked okay and he didn't notice anything loose or missing, but would check them again.

Can anyone suggest anything else to check?

Any help would be appreciated.