Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Inactive User

Question SB Mopar Edelbrock Pro-flo Multipoint fuel injection...

Hey all, I'm a Mopar guy from Melbourne Australia. I own an Australian 1972 E55 Charger. At present the 340 is making 480 HP on the dyno using, ported Edelbrock RPM Performer heads, a modified 850 comp series annular Holley, Edelbrock Air-Gap RPM Performer manifold, Custom 1.75 inch 4 into 1 headers, with 10.8 to 1 compression. I'm more than happy with the current combo. My question is, does anyone know much about the Edelbrock fuel injection setup for SB Mopars? I would like to hear from anyone who has, or is currently using this system. I've emailed the tech guys from Edelbrock, and they suggest using the injection setup with bigger injectors, good for 560 HP. My main concerns are for economy, reliablity, plug foulling issues, cold starting, and a more streetable setup. I hope to make around 500 HP with a little tuning, and hope also to gain a broader flatter torque curve using injection. The system I'm refering to is the Performer RPM Pro-Flo® EFI System
Up to 450 HP in Small-Block Chryslers, part number 3526. Any advice would be very much appreciated before I give it the go ahead.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Default Welcome aboard

Sorry, no advice on it. It is very new here as well. However, on this board there is a fella that works for Edelbrock. RogerH. Perhaps he may very well be a little more helpful (And cheaper phone bill wise) to talk to.
Not a fuel injected guy myself, I could onnly guess that injector size should be met. After that, Edelbrock does some very good work. I don't think you'll have any issues. Allways good to ask though.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Inactive User

Nice numbers out of the engine!

I know some about the 3526 Pro-Flo, I did design the intake manifold.

The fuel injectors that come with the kit (29 lb/hr) are good for about 460-470 horsepower at the flywheel. The best injector for you would be to switch to a 35 lb/hr injector. We do not offer the kit with this injector, but you can take the injectors out of the intake manifold and exchange them with us directly for a $40 charge. If you run into any problems with that, just send me a message and I can see what I can do for you.

The Pro-Flo system as a whole is a great EFI for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of time tuning, or that doesn't want to go thru the complexity of doing their own laptop tuning.

The system still needs to be properly tuned. Mostly for fuel. Based on your camshaft profile, we provide you with a chip to put in the ECU. In most cases the timing curve will be almost tuned for your camshaft.

The kit does not come with a ECU chip, so you wont be able to run the system until you send us the card. Being that you are overseas, you can probably scan it and email it. Let me know if you need assistance with that.

You will also need to have a modern style coil, we don't provide that in the kit (it one of the few items not included). A late model Ford style coil works great, and I post up a link to one that is reccommended.

The great thing about the EFI system is the ablity to run as well as your current setup with using less fuel!
Old 10-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Default Speak of the Devil :)

Hey ! RogerH. How are ya.

Whats the RPM range of the intake?
Is there a injector size limit?
What other coils than a late model Ford can we use. Lord knows whats on my shelf. That coil list would be great.
Anything else besides cam chip, coil & gaskets that are missing?
(Don't say air cleaner)

Thanks buddy

Old 10-27-2004, 11:08 PM

As its MPFI, The air/fuel is no longer being mixed by the intake. The RPM range is mostly in the programming of the computer.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Inactive User

A coil similar in contruction to this.

Sample Coil

RPM range of the intake manifold, idle - 6500, probably more if you can spin it! It is a single plane so it will like to make top end power. On the low end, it will depend on the camshaft, but being that its EFI, you can tune the low end better than you can with a carb. Runner length is still important in determining the rpm opertaing range, no matter if its a carb or EFI manifold. The more modern engines are much more sensitive to it, such as Hondas.

Hmm, what else do you need besides the kit. A tool set, towels, case of engine oil, oil filter, spark plugs, jack, jack stands......LOL Just teasing, I'd have to look up a set of installation instructions, which I don't have on had at the moment. It lists things you'll need, like an intake gasket and such.

The wire harness has the connector to plug into the Ford style coil, but you can cut that off and wire it to any other coil with similar construction. Its highly not advised to use the standard factory coils that came on the car.

The injector size limit is 44 lb/hr, that the maxium we offer. The injectors are special, in that they are smaller than standard Bosch injectors. We use these injectors, called Pico injectors, from Magneti Marelli since they are easier to package and to target toward the back of the intake valve.

The limiting factor with the Pro-Flo kit is the fuel pump, that it can only support upto 630 horsepower. After that, an upgraded pump is needed.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:17 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

ehostler How true.

RogerH, Thanks very much. The intake does look like it could handle 7000 rpms. But I figure I ask anyways. It couldn't hurt.
44 lbs injectors are max. OK, cool. Ya say that can equal 630 HP. I think that covers 99% of the general hot rodders out there. It'll cover me for awhile.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:17 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish360
44 lbs injectors are max. OK, cool. Ya say that can equal 630 HP. I think that covers 99% of the general hot rodders out there. It'll cover me for awhile.
The max size injector we have is a 44 lb/hr, which is about 680 horsepower. (that's assuming a .50 bsfc) The fuel pump can only support 630 horsepower.

Yeah, I don't think there are many small block running past 630 hp, and if they were, I'd reccommend another EFI system. The Pro-Flo units are meant more as a Performer RPM level with some room to grow. Once you get in the Victor Jr to Victor level you need some finer adjustablility. That's also why we are coming out with our Pro-Tuner EFI product line. Laptop adjustable, fully programmable EFI system. That won't be a complete system, but DIY type EFI.

I wouldn't see why the manifolds wouldn't be good up to 7000 rpm, or even 7500 rpm. The runner size will be small for a 650 horsepower application, with the 3526 Pro-Flo, probably only have to port the manifold open a little.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:32 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Roger; Thakns a ton. Allways great to hear from you.
E55charger. Hows that for you?