Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:17 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Default Super stock springs and relocation on a b-body

Well after getting my front suspension Kit from PST. Which I will say right now fits perfectly and is highly recommended on my part for late b-body cars. I have decided to toss out the old leaf sprinsg which are pretty weathered and starting to sag with brand new kyb shocks installed less than 1,000 miles on them.

My questions is what is involved in upgrading to super stock springs? Do I need to relocated the perches? Also if this is not the case how hard is it to do the leaf spring relocation kit that mopar performance sells. I am tired of seeing sooo much wheel well just not being filled.

I should add this is on my 73 roadrunner.

-Juan
Old 10-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Inactive User

If you buy the springs then you also need to buy the replacement hangers that match them. They are very easy to install as I have them on my 71 RR clone. If you plan on racing only then get the lightest ones rated by LBS. If you want to put crap in the trunk and a couple of big buddys in the back seat, get the heavy ones. Be aware though they are meant to sit in the same locating holes on the brackets; both on top or both on bottom, and when doing this your ass end will be a little higher on one side. This is to compensate for axle twist when you romp on it. I set mine offset to level it out because my little 318 just isnt that buff. As far as PST goes never again for me. I had popping upper ball joints and had to buy MOOG. PST wouldnt warranty them because they were allready installed on my car Thats not a 20 year warranty if you ask me
Old 10-27-2004, 09:49 PM
Inactive User

Default Juan Ramon

replacing the springs you dont have to relocate the perches. if your going with the mp relocating kit you will have to relocate the perches, front spring box{ by cutting the frame and welding in the new boxes} and removing the rear hangers and installing new hangers through the frame. also you should buy longer rear shocks with the new ss springs. this is recommended. when welding in new perches make sure your pinion angle is correct!

good luck
george

i did this and stuffed in 31-16.50/15. if you want big like this you have to mini tub it also to the frame. i did this to a 68 RR.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:52 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Ramon
Well after getting my front suspension Kit from PST. Which I will say right now fits perfectly and is highly recommended on my part for late b-body cars. I have decided to toss out the old leaf sprinsg which are pretty weathered and starting to sag with brand new kyb shocks installed less than 1,000 miles on them.

My questions is what is involved in upgrading to super stock springs? Do I need to relocated the perches? Also if this is not the case how hard is it to do the leaf spring relocation kit that mopar performance sells. I am tired of seeing sooo much wheel well just not being filled.

-Juan
Before going to a ladder bar set up with coil overs - I installed some SS springs on my 65 plymouth. I had to pick up new set of front hangers (F) and then drill a hole that was located one inch further towards the rear from that of the original location of the stock hangers. The SS springs for the 65 ply are one inch shorter than the stock springs. Therefore to keep the axle in the original location, I had to drill a new hole in the hanger.

However, my friend has a 69 road runner, bought the same hanger and was not required to drill the hole. The F hangers are already set up for the later model B bodies.

The spring relocation kit seems to take some expert fabrication. If you're accurate with fitting and measuring, then it seems like any other fabrication job. However, if you are not an experience fabricator, you may want to spend a few hundred bucks to have a fab shop fit them in. On the surface, it is as simple as nothcing the frame and fitting the relocation kit in.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:49 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Ramon

-Juan
Here's the answer to your question. To install SS springs onyour car, you will only need the front extened 2" hanger and that's it. The relocation kit is not needed and should only be installed by a good frame and body shop if you don't wont to end up with a twisted frame and doors that wont open. There's no need to move your springs over. You can get a 275 60 15 tire under a B body quite easily with the proper wheels and that's the biggest 60 you can get anyways. Any other ratio is not worth messing with. The 2" bracket is needed cause the springs were designed for use in A and F body drag and road race cars of the time. The bracket is a large U with 2 holes on each side where the front spring eye mounts and the bracket bolts to the frame where your stock front spring eye bracket mounts now. If you need any more help with it send me a PM and I'll be glad to help you out.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:31 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Thanks to all for the info. I understand now why they extra length is needed. Now my final question is "IF", and this is a big "if" at this point, I were infact going to go with the super stock springs and a relocation kit this would require off set shackles and hangers? I was going through mancini racings catalog last night and noticed they sold only the standard shackels but no offset ones. I would asssume it would require offset hangers? Also how the hell would you determine pinion angle? And would this be too drastic for a street strip car?
-Juan
Old 10-28-2004, 10:28 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Some need offset hangers and some don't. Depends on how your frame rails run under your car. Most don't need them. You really should not need that kit unless your putting some 15 inch wide tires under it. Most 9 sec cars can run on 10 inch slicks with no problems. Stock pinion angle can be found using an angle finder which will cost you about 10 bucks from Lowes. Simple adding a shim can be used to make slight pinion angle changes. 3 to 5 down (past the stock settting) for a street strip car is enough.