Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Inactive User

Default can't get gas to fuel pump

Car runs from gas can. New fuel pump. Cleaned out gas tank. Changed tank pickup. Changed fuel line from tank to fuel pump. Start car squirting gas into carb. Keep it running a minute. Fuel pump not getting gas. Should only take 15 sec. to get gas. What gives. Am I missing something? 8 gals. gas in tank. Do you have to prime the line. Can it get air locked. I,m about nuts with this. Help!
Old 11-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Inactive User

Is the tank vented?loosen the cap and try again.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Inactive User

Tank is vented and gas cap fits loose.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:36 PM

You didn't give any info on the car, but I presume it is the Dart with the 360. Mechanical fuel pump I presume. Could be you got a bad pump. Wouldn't be the first time. Could be an air leak in the new line. Its a long shot, but is the actuating arm bent or too short? did you test the pump on the bench by moving the arm and feeling for suction or pressure. Are you sure the new line isn't pinched, that the fittings are all tight and none are cracked? Sure that the new pickup is near the bottom of the tank? I would look at the pump again.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:33 PM

When the car "runs from gas can" is the pump drawing from the can or is it being poured?

If the pump isn't drawing from the can I'd suspect the pump like Dick says. Is this a big block or small block?
Old 11-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Inactive User

Gripe

Yep, it's the 360 Dart(mare). Pump drawing gas from can, runs fine. New hoses and clamps. Old fuel line (which I assumed was the problem) was fine, not plugged or rotten. So, had the problem with both fuel lines. Checked to make sure tank pickup was clear.
Could I pressurize tank ,with shop vac, with pump dissconnected, to blow gas up to the pump. Maybe pump is too weak to draw from tank.
I've been plumbing pools for 15 years, so I'm familiar with suck and blow theory. Might have to try another pump.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:54 PM
Inactive User

Arrow

Hope you get it,sounds like you have been every where else.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryke
I'm familiar with suck and blow theory.

Did you replace the rubber lines as well?? If they are leaking air, you will never get the pump to draw out fuel. You could disconnec the tank line from the pump and try to manually draw fuel through it. That will tell you if the poump is sucking air, if there is a blockage, or if the pump just isn't up to it.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Inactive User

Confirmed the line to the gas tank is clear. Fuel pump Must not suck good enough. Can pull gas from a can a foot away ,but not from the tank. I could probably prime the line, but the pump sucks. Gonna order a quality pump tomorrow. What a pain in the neck?
Old 11-04-2004, 11:26 PM
Inactive User

Idea

I would install an electric in the rear-wouldnt have to be a fancy one either.Cheaper and better too.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:48 PM

Don't forget, much louder...
Old 11-04-2004, 11:58 PM

Noramally, five gallons will gravity feed a trickle to the pump. I've pulled the line off of the pump before and gas continues to trickle from the tank, until I plug the line. I let a few gallons trickle out into a can once (draining the tank, before pulling it out). So, the line should actually prime itself.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:15 AM

Default i would be hesitant

to put an electric pump on there, because if your float ever sticks open, that could get messy....
Old 11-05-2004, 11:16 AM

Electric pump with a toggle switch. Bowls flooding; turn it off. Is this a carter pump? take it apart and look at the valves, you may have 2 inlet and one outlet check valves (or vice versa). Thay are pressed in and the intake valve may not be anymore. I fixed a pump like this, no pressure, just a trickle, and it worked like new. I just pressed the loose one in again and dimpled the seam with a punch. My old car friend mounts Airtek (looks like a carter diaphragm type electric pump) inline with his OEM mechanical pumps and kicks it on when he starts his old cars. Once running he turns them off and the fuel just gets sucked through them like they were not there. I dont know how this would work on a 500 HP car though, probably not too well.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Banned

Biggrin

It would be very restrictive on a high hp car.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:04 PM
Inactive User

I had a similar problem with an 80 M-body. Sort of like vaopr lock. No fuel would get up to the carb. And no obvious/logical reason. But the problem was intermittent.
When I bought the car it was 7yrs old, and the previous owner had installed a cheapie in-line elec helper pump. I removed it, … ran fine without it.
But 2ysr later the problem started. Over a period of 15 yrs, it would happen every 2yrs, and last on & off for about a month. Each time I dropped the tank, changed the pickup/sending unit and the mech pump, blow air through the lines, install one-way check valves, change the filter & rebuild the carb. Nothing worked, but the problem would mysteriously go away.

The last time it happed was 2 yrs ago. I didn’t want the worries of another electric pump so I got a semi-performance (5-8psi) mechanical one from Mr Gasket, thinking that the extra output would also mean a stronger “draw” from the tank.
Stock pumps put out 2-5psi, competition ones are 8-10 & require a regulator. My MrGasket pump is in-between and puts out a steady 7psi (no fluctuation), and this seems to have cured the problem. Im also using the OEM
3-nipple fuel filter with the return line. This acts as a sort of pressure relief, so I don’t need a regulator.
Try