Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-21-2004, 05:39 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Default 3600 lb S/S Springs on 68 B Body

I need some info on installing S/S springs on my 68 RR. I want to get the 3600 lb springs because I don't want the rear setting up too high, but the rear shackles need to be relocated. Can anyone tell me whats involved in relocating the shackles, and where do they get relocated to? Can I use the stock shackles or will I need different ones? Any tips and info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
Old 11-21-2004, 08:45 PM
Banned

Biggrin

You can't use the 3600 lb springs cause the car weighs too much. You need the 3800 lb springs for proper height and handling. YOu don't need to relocate the shackles at all. The stock ones are fine. You do the the front spring hanger extension which is two inches longer than yours. These springs are based of the A body and are two inches shorter on the front segment of hte main spring, so that's why you need the hanger.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Wrong bro, Some where in this grey matter it says somewhere in the MoPar book to relocate the springs foward 1 inch I think it was. Redrill the hole through the frame. I'm sure of it.
I have not been down this road so I can not truly help in this area. You'll need the MoPar chassiss book to be sure what they want you to do. OR a been there done that guy.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Banned

Biggrin

It's in the chasis book and it says to do that "IF" the rear shcakles are ever in a forward facing angle after it is lifted in the rear for more weight transfere. I've used as much as an 8" shackle and have yet to have to move a shackle mount. As long as they hang straight down or to the rear they are o.k.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Inactive User

I've cross-referenced the 2002 MP parts catalog with an old MP chassis book. All of the PN's in the 2002 catalog dial in at 125 lbs/in except the pro gas/Super gas bracked car set (PN's end in 863/864) and Original 1968 Hemi SS set (002/003) that both come in at 160 in/lb. Those last, plus several others, are listed as requiring rear shackle relocation for B-bodies.

I put the 3400lb car weight springs (456/457) on a '67 Barracuda and they took the shackle fully to the rear, must have been binding under heavy load and really tightened that car up, a 273/4v automatic ride.

On my '67 B-body I first installed the "OE" XHD set sold via the catalog. Sez "Lighter cars may sit higher than stock". 'Tweren't so for me. Measured the wheelwell trim at the center attaching screw and no change. Taking advice from a Mopar guru, I swapped them out for a pair of right-side springs, the P3690456, using the MP adaptors. The adaptors have two sets of holes drilled for the front eye bolt, starting with the top set I found ok pinion angle and the car sat at the same height. Switching to the lower set of holes, car went up maybe 1.5" and pinion angle is good. I didn't want my car to look jacked up, and it sits just right. Stiff springs they are, and my car with them and a small block/727 combination weighed right at 3500lbs on the local scale. Again, the catalog cross-referenced to the old Chassis manual shows the "3800lb" springs as having the same 125 in/lbs rate as the "3400lb" springs. Don't know if they're arched higher or what. Catalog says vehicle will not be level at standstill with S/S sets; despite both springs being "righties" with the same number of leaves instead of a right-side bias as in the sets, my car does tilt a bit. Mine are made in Mexico, so-marked.

My next step will likely be torsion bars. Originally a 318 car, mine leans a good bit in the turns. Haven't scraped off a mirror or door handle yet, and drag racing will be primary, but I'd like to take turns a BIT more smoothly!
Old 11-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Here's the reason for the extra holes in the front mount. IF you use the upper hole and raise the rear of the car to stock height or more, you will gain more forward bite. Using the lower hole (closer to the road) will decrease forward bite or traction.

You need to run right and lefts. IT will effect handling and launches at the strip as well. I've never had to move that shackle on any car, yet. For proper handling stay soft on the springs and T bars, no more than one size up from stock, use large sway bars and an agressive shock package. Over the counter shocks just wont cut it.