Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:12 PM

Default New Lunati cams

Somebody tried this?

Lunati Voodoo Camshafts
Voodoo cams
Old 12-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Looks like Holley (Parent company of Lunati) is getting geared up to try and hop on the crazy cam shaft band wagon. Lunati has a new cam master at the helm, (Can't remember the famed guys name) so you should expect there new line to be pretty good. To say the least.
I don't know how these cams are stacking up against the Hughes or Comp Cams line, but it could be worth a comparing if your open minded and in the market.
Love the logo
Old 12-04-2004, 12:00 AM

The new Lunati cam master is Harold Brookshire (former Ultradyne owner). I love the logo too.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:55 AM
Inactive User

Color me skeptical, but I'm not sure I would buy a cam from such long time bowtie guys. Are these cams really developed for Mopars, or are they just repop chevy grinds made to fit a Mopar? Maybe I'm just associating them too much with the dingleberries at the now defunct Stoopid Shops, since they were such big fans of Lunati, and couldn't tell a bumpstick from a baseball bat.

torch
Old 12-04-2004, 04:31 AM
Inactive User

ah, lunati's finally waking up: chrysler guys hate p*ssy chevy lobes.

those numbers look pretty aggressive - on par with hughes/engle.
plus, ultradyne was one of the early pioneers of the true chrysler lobe
(for solid lifter profiles).

if the matched components (lifters, springs, etc.) are all good quality/
engineering, these could turn out to be some great sticks.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:54 AM
Inactive User

Just a comment or two about camshafts/lobes, etc.

There is a tremendous amount of camshaft grinding capacity in the South Memphis/North Mississippi area. And there is a lot of subcontracting of camshaft grinding there. Just because the company you are buying the cam from is in California, Florida or Michigan, don't automatically assume the cam is actually ground there.

The really neat grinding is for cams not even listed in the catelog. Most all the camshaft companies have lobe profiles for something other than GM. You just have to get past the "Cam Help" telephone people to find out about them.

You can purchase GM cams ground for .842", .875" and .904" lifter diameter. The same is true for Ford. I know you can purchase Mopar cams for either .904" or 1.00" lifters. And if you can get it for Mopar, you can get it for GM and Ford also. You use the same cam "master" lobe on all three engines.

All you are talking about doing is when you have your lifter bores trued by a race shop, going to whatever lifter bore diameter you want (as long as you have enough meat in the block).

I know this is a little "off the subject". But, don't automatically assume the lifter diameter in that GM beside you is .842". He might have .904" lifter diameters too!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

And in addition!....A 1 inch bore could also be there. Or roller.

A comp cam MM lobe is pretty agressive as well.

cutting torch; You have to really get passed the "Chevy" guy thing. Cutting a cam purposly ground for to take advantage of the larger lobe in out Chrysler engines is good. But that cam doesn't gaureente it's a better cam or it will work better.
The biggest problem is the old grinders had good knowledge, maybe not the best but, in production of goods, the lesser amount of variable choices there are to grind, the easier it is to keep production up. This is really in keeping in line with the K.I.S.S. method. It also leads to less room for error and larger production numbers.
I think that if in production cars, if the larger diameter liffter proved to be such a big power maker, it would have shown up in every make.
Do you (Anybody) really think the stock cam in a 318 is ground purposly to take advantage of the .904 liffter?
Do you thik you would see the difference or better yet, feel the difference on a lowly 252/.398 lift. cam.
Quote:
Maybe I'm just associating them too much with the dingleberries at the now defunct Stoopid Shops, since they were such big fans of Lunati, and couldn't tell a bumpstick from a baseball bat.
BAWAWAWAha ha ha ha! I know what you mean
Quote:
madmax2; The new Lunati cam master is Harold Brookshire (former Ultradyne owner).
Thanks Max. I had his name right on the tounge. Just couldn't bring it up. I thik his joining Lunati under the Holley group is a excelent shot in the arm for the company.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:01 PM
Inactive User

rumblefish - I don't have a problem with chevy guys, they like what they like. With that said, I still don't want to run one of thier cams in my Mopar.

When it comes to R&D money being spent, I think a cam company that sells cams for most makes will spend the biggest portion of that money on the development of cams for thier top sellers. I'm sure they sell a LOT more cams for chevys than they do Mopars. That's why I don't think they have put very much into development of Mopar-specific grinds. However, it seems like that is what they are doing now with the new Voodoo line, which is a good thing.

On the subject of stock cams, I don't think the factory ever took advantage of the lifter diameter for thier lobe design in production engines. Maybe they never really considered that aspect, and used the bigger lifter solely for durability, or maybe the valve springs of the day wouldn't last as long as they would prefer with the more agressive lobe design. However, we are talking about aftermarket cams, and I prefer to get one from someone that has developed it to use any advantage that is present in MY engine, not my buddy's chevy. Know what I mean?

torch
Old 12-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Know what I mean?
Hell YA! and I'm with on that!

It's the cam makers making life easy for themselfs that has every other cam manufacture suffering in the HP aftermarket department. And a shame I think it is.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:07 PM
Inactive User

I think I'll let you guys test these new cams out... tell me how you like them.. MAYBE then I'll consider running a chevy lovin companies cam in my ride....

I doubt they brought Harold on board to build Mopar cams.... But we'll see
Old 09-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Inactive User

Question

Soooo, any tried and true feedback on the new Lunati grinds?
Old 09-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Inactive User

I have three custom ground ultradyne cams, They are all of the NF series that use the lifter diameter to my advantage.
I heard he had to close his doors for reasons I probably dont have the exact answer for. Nonetheless, I am very happy with all of my cams from him and I will probably do business with him again in the future.
I just replied on another post about the chevy grind in a dodge cam form Lunati, and then I click on here and find out all about it. Shouldve read this post first!
Old 09-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Inactive User

So I guess for a Mopar, Lunati's get the general nod?

Just wondering now, how the "Voodoo" series cams stack up. I am seriously considering one for our 340 buildup.