Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Inactive User

Default Hughes cams and edelbrock heads.

Well after trying to decide what to do for my 340 on head choices I got very lucky and a business deal of mine ran through in my favor and I managed to net enough money to buy aluminum cylinder heads instead of some cast iron x heads. Now my question is this: Edelbrock states there springs on the performer rpm 340 heads are good to a .570 lift cam. Per rumblefishes suggestion I have been looking into hughes cams and the more I see the more I like them. I am looking at the HEH 3237 AL hydraulic cam from them. Hughes suggests using there springs due to the fast ramp rates, if I combine this cam with the existing springs on the Edelbrocks am I going to have to worry about the springs falling apart on me or is this just a sales ploy by Hughes? I figure I would ask as someone on here has probably mixed these two components.

-Juan
Old 12-11-2004, 11:41 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Glad you took my suggestion serious enough to consider.
Hughes springs are going to provided a little better control of the valve motion because there "Probably" stiffer. More pressure.
A good way to see the difference is look up the Edel. heads spring pressure vs. the Hughes recomended spring pressure.
Sales ploy? Probably secondary next to them being more assured of what they have thought out. Proper spring presssure ensures best performance and life of cam. That in it's self will be better for them than the sale of springs.
The pricce of springs are cheap compared to the most valued reputation they'll get which is 100 X's the price of springs on anygiven day.

You could allways upgrade later if you feel theres a need or money allows.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:50 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

eddy heads

an option to consider would be to buy the Eddy heads bare. then you can piece the rest of the combo as you wish. this is what I done when I bought my set.
I bought a Crower cam package that came with cam/lifters/retainers/springs. this for under $400. I did it this way because I had the bigger 2.05 intake valve put in.

It's just another option to consider.
good luck

Old 12-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

heigleracing;

Now thats a sweet idea. Didn't cross my mind this time round. However, that option and advice is sound. Hows the spring heights. Problems there?
Old 12-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Inactive User

Never thought about it that way. Thanks for the advice guys. It may just be better to buy them bare and work from there.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:48 AM
Inactive User

Question Eddy heads and Carbs

I have noticed on this forum that many folks have good things to say about Eddy heads and intakes. I also appreciate how we seem to have an inside connection to Roger H from Eddy.

However, I also have noticed that a majority (without having done a poll) of folks here think the Eddy carbs suck.

Good heads and intakes, but bad carbs. Do the carbs come from a different division of Eddy? Why the inconsistancy?

Any comments?

Tim Eckert
Concord NC
360/904 with an Eddy intake and carb - wishing the carb was a Demon
Old 12-14-2004, 05:50 AM

Default Carb preference

IMHO Eddy ( carter ) carbs are better. That stated on my last 451 I ran a holley, why? I had it and I knew someone ( on here ) that could tune it. Eddy carbs take different skills to tune, not harder but different.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:24 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

The Edelbrock carbs are updated remakes of the old Carter design , now being cast by webber. Unless thats change recently.
The earlier carbs are said to have cracking problems. I myself have only had used Edel. carbs and found no such problem. Though I never looked for it.
However, I can't seem to tune them. Maybe I had bad carbs and didn't know it. I allways use OEM Carter carbs. I'm not a big AFB fan. I would rather run an AVS or T-Q on these carbs.
These designs are easy to work on and are pretty tuneable. They do not like big cams. They lack what it takes to ingest a large cam. Holley is no different until you move away from the basic carb offerings.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:35 PM
Inactive User

Edelbrock carbs are made by Magneti Marelli USA. My take on it is a lot of street guys like to use Edelbrock carbs, but when you move into higher end racing you see more Holley and Demon carbs.

Onto valve springs. The springs reccommended for the 1.5 ratio rockers are almost identical to the Edelbrock springs. They just set the installed height a little shorter to preload the springs more.

The springs for the 1.6 ratio rockers are only slightly stiffer.

The springs with the 60179 340 heads are good for .670 lift. By the catalog, the installed height is set at 1.800" and coil bind at 1.130".
Old 12-14-2004, 03:44 PM
Inactive User

Default Mopar4LIF

I ran the Hughes #3038 cam with the eddy springs and had no problems or valve float (at least not up to 7K). they are a stout single spring that will work well with the 3237 cam. I hope you have no power brakes that you need vacumm for as I would expect the 3237 to be down around 10psig at 950rpm idle.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:10 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

[QUOTE=RogerH]Edelbrock carbs are made by Magneti Marelli USA. My take on it is a lot of street guys like to use Edelbrock carbs, but when you move into higher end racing you see more Holley and Demon carbs. QUOTE]
Magneti Marelli USA make super excellent fuel injection equipment. How long have the had the carb chores for?
I'm with you on your take of the carb use. On my street rides I allways run Carters these days. I haved Holleys before and just like the carter better on the street. (Love my AVS units.)
I seen a test in a couple of mags that pit the Holley against the Carter design. The Carter produced more torque as seen in 60 ft. times while the Holley equiped car run a higher MPH on the big end.
Roger. On the Carter carbs, how and who flows them to find out the cfm ratings?
I have found it bothersome that some people will say that the Carters do not flow what there rated at. That they flow less than advertised. Followed by the top BS flag wave that I have every read that Holley is the only place able to rate flow that high. (Sorry, I just can't believe that Holley is the only company capable of finding out what a carb flows in the whole entire country. I mean really, come on.)
Old 12-14-2004, 09:48 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 345Dart
I ran the Hughes #3038 cam with the eddy springs and had no problems or valve float (at least not up to 7K). they are a stout single spring that will work well with the 3237 cam. I hope you have no power brakes that you need vacumm for as I would expect the 3237 to be down around 10psig at 950rpm idle.

So I can assume it is time for a vaccum pump/canister?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish360
Magneti Marelli USA make super excellent fuel injection equipment. How long have the had the carb chores for?

Roger. On the Carter carbs, how and who flows them to find out the cfm ratings?
Magneti bought out weber, so its the same place just under Italian ownership. I believe they rate and flow the carbs at Magneti. All we do is buy wm by the crate load and box em up. In the early stages of carb development we size the jets and things and make sure they run right on the dyno.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Thanks Roger.

Mopar4LIF, Ya might wanna think about that. It could help a bit in the WHOA! Dept.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:49 PM
Inactive User

Cool

I am sure it probably could help, lol.
Thanks for the advice 345Dart/rumblefish360!