Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-15-2000, 04:43 PM
Inactive User

Awhile back I asked for advice on a 60 amp
alternator in a 67 barracuda with original
wiring,you advised that I disconnect the amp meter at the dash because it would not handle
the 60 amp alternator.When I disconnect the amp meter do I tie the two wires together and
use some shrink tube.I'm just wasn't sure what to do with the wires after I disconnect them.THANX
Old 01-15-2000, 10:15 PM
Inactive User

yes you will need to hook the wires together or replace the meter.
i don't remember that thread but i'm wondering why you were told it had to be removed to start with.
i've changed from the 45 amp to 60 amp units before and haven't changed the meter.

the higher amp unit just has the ability to deliever a higher out put. it doesn't always suppy 60 amps all the time.
the voltage reg only allows so many amps to recharge the system and operate the systems in use.
so since i missed the first thread i might be lost here, but i con't see the need to unhook the meter.
carl http://members.xoom.com/dustermocar/carl.html

------------------
mocar or nopar
Old 01-16-2000, 03:47 AM

The original ammeter is rated at 30 or 40 amps. The potential now exists to exceed the capability of the ammeter. The amp meters that were designed to go with that 60 amp alternator are designed work with the higher current.

Additionally, if you run this wire back to the orginal connection point, you risk the possibility of overheating the bulkhead connector that connects the alternator to the ammeter. The first few years the dual field alternators came out, they overheated bulkhead connectors and had problems charging at low RPM.

I removed the wire from the alternator and taped the end to prevent it from grounding out (or you can just remove it). I put a new 10 gage wire (the original wire is some what smaller) on the alternator output terminal and connected directly to a connection that goes back to the + battery terminal.

I have a volt meter to monitor the status of the charging system now. Voltage paints a more descriptive picture about whats going on with the charging system in regard to battery condition, charging voltage, etc.