Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Inactive User

Question What type of gains with the fbo igniton

what type of gains should I expect If I were to go with the fbo ignition.I see people say good things about them would like to see some feed back before I make that move.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Inactive User

First off if your having a problem with the dist ( dont understand cant get it to work) get back in touch with Don he will walk you through as far as gains what are you putting this on and what is the application?
Old 12-22-2004, 10:43 PM
Inactive User

I take the MP distributor.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Inactive User

You got a timing light?

Anytime you remove a distributor you going to need to reset the timing. Just cause it looks like it is in the same place does not cut it.........

Put the FBO distributor in...move it as necessary to get it running then set the timing with a light.

Make sure the vacuum advance is plugged into a ported vaccum supply not directly into the manifold.

tony
Old 12-23-2004, 12:08 PM
Inactive User

I have it. It's good! 23 is right, send your dist. to Don for a recurve, Get the coil, ECU and wires, you will notice a differance. Too many guys get MSD which is good but overkill for 90% of the street cars they put them on.
Your results will vary, one guy put it on his all stock 318 Challenger and picked up 2 or 3 tenths. Its the best bang for the buck bar none!
Old 12-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Inactive User

hello, the MSD is not an overkill. the MSD is better than any mopar ignition.
I found the mopar style ignition box will die if you use any electronic rev limiter on it. I've ran all of these in my race/street cars. just food for thought,
Old 12-23-2004, 04:49 PM

Default FBO ingition

Hi all;

I have the FBO ingition on my car the ET and MPH had small gains. Biggest change is that dwell is rock solid and starts easier over MP set up. ET dropped ~ .02 sec and MPH up ~1. Need to play more with jetting and timing to get best may gain more but very happy with FBO set up....

Denny
Old 12-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfmachst
hello, the MSD is not an overkill. the MSD is better than any mopar ignition.
I found the mopar style ignition box will die if you use any electronic rev limiter on it. I've ran all of these in my race/street cars. just food for thought,

The FBO kit is not a stock mopar ignition. It may start out as a stock box, but he modifies them to overcome the problems with the stock units. I don't know all the technical stuff, that info is on his site, but I can tell you that I replaced a stock MP conversion kit with the FBO and could immediately feel the difference.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:18 AM
Inactive User

http://4secondsflat.com/a688specs.html

IT'S A NO BRAINER!!
Old 12-24-2004, 10:09 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Even Don himself will tell you it's not as good as an MSD box since it has not multi spark under 3000 like the MSD box has. The best out there is still the MSD box.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Inactive User

Does anyone have any time slips that show the benefits of the fbo igniton.You know before and after,I'll make the change for a .1 or .2. Two tenths is alot a real lot.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:06 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43
Even Don himself will tell you it's not as good as an MSD box since it has not multi spark under 3000 like the MSD box has. The best out there is still the MSD box.
I didn't say the FBO is better. MSD is probably the best out there. Does the orange, gold, silver, black and or blue box have multispark under 3000?
No. but plenty of people run the chinese made junk that pulls timing out like crazy.

The guy puts the time and money in to build a better ignition system than any MP stuff. Plug and play! No wiring problems. No big red box to mount, the actual working parts of the MSD would fit in a MP chrome box, but they need to sell that image.
Great system at a great price.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Inactive User

anyone racing the fbo igniton?ET improvement?
Old 12-27-2004, 05:17 AM
Inactive User

Ignition is a pretty simple thing. As long as the timing is stable in the rpms you use and there is spark coming that ignites the air/fuel, you will not see benefits in switching to a system that does the job "better". If you have problems with your current set up, then you will have gains fixing them up. Wether you do it by converting to another kind of ignition or by fixing your current one is up to you. I feel that the biggest seat of the pants difference may come from a tailored ignition curve that may have a big effect on response at lower rpm, the out of the box curves are usually on the safe side and in most cases very compromised. If your current ignition works like it should, don't except any big gains, there is no magic in the ignition systems that can give you tens of horsepower against some other.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Inactive User

Dart:

You nailed it on the head. I have used just about every conceivable type of ignition system over the last 50 or so years.

My current race car is running a re-curved single point Chrysler production dist. I have run as quick as 11.86 at 114mph.

Dennis Jokela
Old 12-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Inactive User

the problem is that the MP conversion kit does not " work like it should" and that kit is what a lot of us run on our cars. there is no magic in the FBO system. On principle, it works the same as the factory stuff. but it works like it should, so anyone replacing an orange/silver box with it is going to see gains.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:09 AM

well... i am NOT gonna go through the hassle of digging out those time slips and then typoing all of them into this reply, but on MY combo... a 4700 lb 3/4 ton D250 w/a 440 and open 3.54 dana 60, i have seen just about a 0.35 sec decrease in ET's... closer to 0.4 sec. went from a pretty stable 15.65 @ 88 mph to a very stable 15.23 to 15.28 at 90 mph.

if what you want to know is did i gain anything... the answer is a resounding YES!!! if you want to know is would i go back to the stock box, the answer is a resounding NO!!!

yes, the stock box went faster ONE time... 15.113@ 91.78... but on 3 other passes that same night, and with absolutely NO changes to anything, it also went 15.65, 16.32, and 15.78. with the fbo ignition, my times have NEVER varied by more than 2 tenths from 10am all the way until 11 pm. that is an 13 hour period during the day and evening... and there arent many street systems that stable.

would i switch to MSD? MAYBE... but not likely for a daily driver that my main reason for going to the track in is to embarrass 5.0 rustangs.

is the $100 worth it? YES!!!... and the $130 or so i saved over the MSD will serve a much better purpose going into a detroit locker (or something similar) or a transmission rebuild, or 275/60R16 tires or something.

for a strip only car, the MSD would probably be a better choice... but the added gains for a street car are pretty limited... and i can get the parts to fix the FBO ignition at ANY parts store without having to order them... at least well enough to get home. and the FBO system has a 2 year warranty... try to get THAT from MSD!
Old 12-28-2004, 05:22 AM
Inactive User

Yes, if you are having problems, you will pick up when you have them fixed. If I put an old points distributor in to a car adjusted right with a astock style coil new wires etc, I would be very surprised to get remarkble gains by switching to a MSD billet distributor, MSD box and high perf coil & hi tech wires. I have used them, and changed them over, so this is based on my experience. In my use, the only problem I have had with teh MP pieces are teh distributors. The curves are not right, but can be pretty easily tailored at home. A good, inexpensive change for a relatively low CR engine is just to remove the longer & thicker advance spring so that you get the advance in quicker. Shortening the slots to shorten the adjusting range makes it a little more involved, but can be done at home too, just like playing with different springs if you like to. The MP "quick advance" springs however are a bit too loose for any application, but there are different rate springs available at least for chevys & fords. There are other things in the factory (or MP) distributor too that may need fixing for best performance. I'm currently using a MP race distrbutor (actually marine piece) locked up aith MSD 6 AL box and MSD programmable timing computor. Has worked reliably for almost ten years now and makes more than enough spark for almost 800 hp on pump gas naturally aspirated. And I'm pretty sure that converting to out of the box MP set up with lesser ignition wires would not make me considerably slower at the strip. Could even try that one day.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Inactive User

define considerably slower. I would think going from a quality system with nice big wires to a stock MP conversion with small wires would probably cost you at least 1/10th. to some peolpe, that would be considerable.