Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Inactive User

Default Sixpack: Idle mixture screws for outboard carbs

Hi,
I am rebuilding my sixpack setup of my 69 mopar. The only parts I am missing and I never found in the internet are the Idle Mixture Screws for the Outboard carbs. I know, in all manuals and all explode views is written, that the outboard carbs don`t have idle mixture screws, but they have!
In the throttle body of each outboard there are two idle mixture screws in front, just below the fuel bowl.
In stock condition these idle screws are hide behind little plumb flat blanks, but they are there.
I broke one and I first thought, that I can use the normal Idle Mixture Screws (Part# 26-101). But the idle mixture screws of the outboards are different. The thread is the same, but the needle has a different shape, it is thinner.

Please can somebody tell me a source, where I can order them. I have asked Holley, but they told me that they donĀ“t have any at this time. And DaytonaParts told me that these little screws were never supposed to be readjusted, and so they are not available.

I don`t know what to do, I mean I cannot buy a new complete outboard carb , just because I am missing just one little screw...

Thanks a lot for any help,
Jako
Old 01-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Inactive User

Default screwed

on the new holleys these screws are removeable thus holley should have them in stock. sometimes people are just lazy to help but persistence pays off. i would email and call holley tech support and product/parts dept. all day until i got satisfaction. call texas performance 713-991-7990 they may be able to help in some way. be sure to back off screws 1/2 of a turn after installed. no more or no less.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Inactive User

Thanks mr.b for the information.
Why should I turn them just 1/2 turns out? The last time I tuned the carbs, I need to turn them out 1 1/4 turns to get a nice idle. But maybe you are right and after cleaning the whole set up, I maybe have to turn them out less.

cheers Jakob
Old 01-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Inactive User

maybe the engine setup determines that, cam, porting and etc. this is what worked best on my engine. i tried 1 & 1 1/4 turns on mine and the engine idle was very rough and the engine would bog when placed in gear. some will say screw them in all the way and that is it but that is wrong. also check with the places like FBO and carb race shops and such for the screws. good luck.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Inactive User

I found these little screws at chicago-corvette.com. They have all parts for mopar sixpacks, and they sent them to me today.
Yes, I have already tried to screw them all the way in, because someone told me that too. But with this adjustment I couldn`t even keep the engine idling.
I will start at the 1/2 turn, and turn them little by little out untill the engine runs perfect.
Thanks mr.b,
greetings from germany,
jakob
Old 01-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Inactive User

the outboard carbs shouldn't even be connected when setting up the idle for the center carb..... the outboard carbs only flow fuel/air when pulled open with vacuum...... something is wrong if they affect idle at all... or they were converted to all mechanical linkage, no vacuum
Old 01-10-2005, 04:37 AM
Inactive User

Yes the outboards affect idle, because they have idle screws and little idle mixture passages under the throttle plates. And so they feed the engine with fuel even when the throttle plates are completely closed.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:11 AM
Inactive User

First off, the outboard carbs absolutely do affect idle quality. That's why they have idle mixture screws in them. Second, to say that one specific setting (say 1/2 turn out) works best for all engines is silly. Again, that's why they are adjustable. Not all engines have the same compression, cam, stall speed, etc. And some are in stick cars that have no load on the engine at idle. Remember guys, 6-paks need to be adjusted as you would a four barrel, except you have 2 secondaries to balance instead of one...........djs
Old 01-13-2005, 03:54 AM
Inactive User

Thanks djs, that`s exactly how a SixPack works.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Inactive User

The end carb idle screws were sealed, leaded over, at the factory, Yes, they do affect idle, this was mainly done so if the end carbs were not used for a long period of time (drive a 440-6 on the ceter carb a long time, yeah right!!!), the fuel would not go stale. The factory settings of the left and right screws are not screwed out equally. From what I've noticed, the right front about 1/2-3/4 out, left front 1/4-1/2, right and left rear close to the same of 1/4-1/2 out. Just try turing all of the 1/4 out, the less the better, too much and the motor loads up at idle and the fumes will overwhelm you! Make the main idle adjustment with the center carb, start at 1 1/2 turns out as with most Holley perf carbs.
There is also a screw that has to be acessed from the bottom that adjusts the throttle blade setting. Some info states that the transfer slot should just show from underneath, the factory setting has the throttle blades closed. I think this is why the throttle blades are drilled, to let a small amount of air in with the closed blades, to go with the small amout of fuel the comes in from the approx 1/4 turn out idle screws.

Cecil
Old 02-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Inactive User

since they were sealed from the factory that is why the service manuel says to set the center carb mixture and idle before you even hook the linkage to the outer carbs. When the center carb is set right then the outer carbs linkage should be adjusted so that the ends "just slip into the hole" then you can start ajusting the rest of the setup
Old 02-22-2005, 03:51 AM
Inactive User

While you are all on the subject of six packs, can someone tell me the CFM rating of the setup from the factory? I was thinking about buying the fully adjustable batch fire edelbrock EFI and using a set of six pack carbs for a throttle body with progressive mechanical linkage.

I was gonna hide the injection rail and squirters inside a pro stock interchangable top intake on the '67 426 hemi builder that I'm getting for $1,500 (lucky)

P.S. does anyone know where to buy the progressive adjustable mechanical linkage sets?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Inactive User

center is 350 cfm outers are 500cfm each
www.rancefi.com will set up your carbs to flow air only or they also have 2bbl throttle bodies but they are probably pretty expensive to go that way
also, www.hothemiheads.com now has blower plates for the 6pak setup on 6/71 and 8/71 blowers........... lets see........ EFI, sixpak, blower................... looks like the only thing left on my list is nitrous............... hey heyheyehey ..... oh yeah I still need the 496 stroker motor......... damn wife...............