Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:37 AM
Inactive User

Gripe New Hemi stuttered and died

Hi,
Tonight while we were making a short trip we hopped in the car and drove down the street about 2 min or so. We had to stop at a light and while idling the car made a very slight shutter and then it died. The kicker is that it is an '05 Dodge Magnum RT with about 8500 miles on it. We were just stunned. So the situation was that we had the heater on high, the stereo up fairly loud and the headlights and turn signal on, oh and both front seat heaters going (I know it isn't that cold in California right now but we are admitted wimps). Anyway, once we got it restarted we drove another block then parked and we tried to recreate the problem but couldn't. After dinner we drove it home with no problems until we got to the parking lot where the car seemed to have just a slight hesitation once he got back on the gas after turning into the parking lot. Other than that the car doesn't seem to be down on power or anything, and it doesn't really seem to be running any rougher than usual. So with all of the long winded set up we finally get to the question. Is this something to worry about and if it is does anyone have an idea what might have caused this? If anything else happens we will take it in to the dealer immediately, otherwise we will probably wait until the next oil change and then bring it up with them at that time. This is the first sign of trouble this car has had at all so hopefully we can get this resolved. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Matt
Old 01-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Inactive User

new car/8500 miles? don't even waste time thinking about what caused it, that's why you paid all that coin for something new. take to the man and tell him to fix it. I would wait till it does it again, though, then write down everything it did, very detailed. these kind of intermittant problems are a bitch, no matter what you are fixing (cars, oil burners, etc...)
Old 01-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Inactive User

That's kind of what I was figuring on doing, I just thought I would check and see if anyone has had or heard of a similar problem. Anyway, thanks for confirming.

Matt
Old 01-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Inactive User

so, is it fast?
Old 01-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Inactive User

the hemi today is a new product with a old name the old hemi made a name for itself on the oval tracks and dragstrips and the word HEMI brought respect the new hemi is really different from the old hemi it is fairly new there was an old saying years ago about new trucks and cars"never buy anything new when it first come out wait awhile until they get the kinks out"
Old 01-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Inactive User

It is pretty fast. It's heavy so it isn't quite as fast as say my Charger in a straight line, but it is really fun and easy to drive. The car just feels so rock solid on the road and for such a large vehicle it handles exceptionally well. Plus this thing is loaded so it is just really comfortable to drive. Even the build quality feels really solid. I am just sad about this little hiccup. It's like my faith has been a little shaken, now I find myself watching the tach a lot more just to see if it dies again. As for the not buying anything new, we figured this new Hemi engine had been in the trucks for a couple years now so the kinks would have hopefully been worked out for the most part.

Matt
Old 01-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Inactive User

I would put a call into the dealers service manager and explain to him what happened, and have him check to see if there are any service bulletins for this type of thing. They may already have some real simple fix, so it doesnt happen again! Well as i typed that, I decided to check and see, (i work at a dealer) I didnt see any service bulletins for that complaint. I would still call and see what they have to say.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:18 PM

I used to have a similar situation occur with my 96 Neon. Occasionally, I would run the headlight, wipers, and A/C when it was raining the car would die sitting at a light. It would start back up and be fine in the next rain storm. It was a very random happening. Took it to the dealer a couple times and they couldn't duplicate the problem. Of course.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the suggestions, I have been driving it around today and have had no problems with it, so maybe it was just some freak occurance. I may call up the dealer anyway and just ask about it. Thanks again.

Matt
Old 01-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Inactive User

Just to be on the safe side I would take it in so the problem will be on record and be reported timely just in case something happens latter on, cant hurt
Old 01-21-2005, 02:31 AM

Did the electric power die with it? My Suburban died at a light and it started right back up. I noticed all the warning lights were out, too. Started right back up, drove it to my house and tightened the LOOSE power cable on the side post battery. Never happened again.
Ford had a hell of a time with there thin film ---- ignition unit, had to relocate it off the distributor to the fender to keep it cool and working. The Hemi distributorless?
Old 01-22-2005, 01:47 PM

I don't think I've ever driven anywhere without expecting the car to die on me. But that's because just about everything I drive saw it's better days with a previous owner. So you new car guys get it too? Wow...