Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-31-2005, 10:09 PM
Inactive User

Engine test frame?

Didn't know where to post this but,, has anyone here built an engine test frame that you can actually run and break in an engine on before putting it in the car? I saw one in a P.A.W. catalog but they want $800 for it ! If somebody has plans for one I'd like to see them. Theirs had a temp gauge , oil press. tach etc. It didn't use a radiator for cooling , I'm not sure how that worked. Is there a forum for discussing shop equipment and tools? Thanks
Old 01-31-2005, 10:36 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Just mount one in an old K frame and weld you up some brackets for a rad and a gauge panel. Not that hard to do.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:33 AM

You could buy one of those 40 buck rolling engine frames, and mount up a manual trans bell for a starter mount. Find an old radiator, a few angle irons and an old dash out of a junker and go to town. Probably about 100 bucks total.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Inactive User

I think they're a great idea! I built one several years ago to run in the cam and check everything out before putting my engines in my cars. I mostly used materials I already had at home. Such as channel iron for the frame. angle iron for the adjustable cross members, etc. I did buy an electric fan for the '72 Imperial radiator that I used. On the back part I have the tach, oil pressure guage, temp. guage, on switch, starter button, ignition ECU, etc.
I also put it on casters so it can be moved around as necessary.
It was actually a fun project to build, and its been great to use.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Hey Sublime, how did it work out with engine vibrations in general, the rumblings. I also want to build one myself. I had the same idea as you. How big of a caster? I figure 4 inch would do it well.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Inactive User

Vibration hasn't been an issue even though I used steel casters. They're probably about three inches in height. When I built it I thought about going with hard rubber casters or even pnuematic tires but figured that they would deteriorate with time. I didn't want to bother with that.
Rumblings? I use stock manifolds, short head pipes with mufflers to keep the noise down.

I think you'll like having one of these around. It makes it nice to be able to run in the cam, set the timing, check for oil and water leaks etc. all before the engine goes into the car.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Thanks man. I think I will like it.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Great answers ! All of 'em. I think I got enough scrap stuff layin' around. I guess I got me another project. It just seems so cool to run it in and check everything over before putting it in the car first. Let's face it , there ain't a whole heckuvalot of room to see anything on the motor in an old a-body once it's in the car! Gotta go , got some cuttin and welding to do