Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:11 AM
Inactive User

Default Mopar V6 swap?

I just "won" a 63 Dart post car (slant 6, auto) on ebay. Comes with a 318 in pieces, so that's a maybe, but I read somewhere that the 63 cars don't have a firewall dimple for distributor clearance. I have no idea how big a deal that might be, but it got me to thinking. And that's where the trouble started!

My 64 ragtop has a mild 318, and it runs pretty OK. I'd like to put some headers on it, and maybe better heads, carb and manifold or F.I. but the early A headers are apparently made of that precious metal, unobtanium. Damn theyre proud of 'em!

But anyway, on the new old car, I was wondering, anybody ever hotrod a Mopar V-6. They're basically LA motors with two cylinders left out, right? Well, basic math tells me that if an LA can go to 400 inches, a V6 should be able to go to 306. Shorter and lighter than an LA, the front left exhaust port should clear the steering box better, and routing three header pipes ought to be easier than four, right?

Anyone know of a parts source for V6 hotrod parts? This could get real interestin!

Any ideas and or info greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Inactive User

What are you looking for exactly? 12 seconds? or just a good strong runner?(15 sec) or a nicely powered daily driver that won't break the bank. In my opinion the 225 slant is a nearly indestructable little motor. They can be strong runners but I don't know about one getting a dart into the twelves. I would seriously look into building up a slant for a daily driver before swaping in a V-6.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Inactive User

Default Well, maybe.

I have a few of these V-6's laying around. I don't know about stroking, but I have built some bad to the bone Daks with the 3.9 and ported heads. The cams are available, and when used with some other goodies, like higher comp slugs, etc. you can have a hauler on your hands. I just so happen to have the following: Slant six head - awaiting port and polish job, and 3.9 Magnum heads, awaiting port and polish job. For my money, either one is a good choice. Any questions?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Inactive User

Did you ever think of stuffing a 3.5 SOHC V6 in there? 250 net hp plus it'd rev up quicker than hell.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:39 AM
Banned

is that the 3.5 "big block" V6 like in the 300 chryslers?
Old 02-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Inactive User

Well I dont know, why do you refer to it as a big block ?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:24 AM
Banned

Biggrin

its just a joke, jeez! have you seen it done, im curiouse. ive driven them bfore, they seem to have power, but they are sideways, and i know the 6 or small bell housing wont fit. i was wondering your reason, thats all.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Inactive User

Oh, I thought you were insinuating that the 3.5 was somehow a rediculously large V6 and somehow I was stupid for suggesting it. I am not sure if they are sideways or not in the new 300C's since they are RWD... Plus they are RWD in Prowlers and I know they cant fitsideways in that narrow frontend they have. The guy mentioned going EFI so I figure if he was willing to deal with the hassle of wiring up EFI along with a computer and all that he might wanna think about a 3.5 liter. Maybe a wrecking yard 3.5 from a Prowler or even a 300C or Magnum.. probably wouldnt be more then a few grand. 250 net hp = maybe 270-280 gross hp, remove the smog crap and put some exaust on it, get a performance chip and maybe a K&N intake and I would imagine getting 300 hp (gross) out of it wouldnt be hard. Wouldnt be the most practical or easy engine swap out there but it'd be cool.. high tech and something different.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Banned

Biggrin

awsome! i'd forgot all about them in rear drives!
Old 02-11-2005, 12:52 AM

For what it's worth, the K-members are the same from 60 to 66 on early A bodies, you just need the mounts for the engine in question.
Seeing that the 273 was the first LA engine, a later V6 should drop in, the only thing I am not sure about is if they left the motor mount lugs on the block in the same place or not when they removed 2 of the cylinders from the casting.
I expect it should drop right in place, but then you have the fun of all the fuel injection and computer wiring to fiddle with!
If you got the original brackets for the V8 already, thats half the battle.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:35 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoga
I expect it should drop right in place, but then you have the fun of all the fuel injection and computer wiring to fiddle with!
If you got the original brackets for the V8 already, thats half the battle.
Forget the fuel injection unless you really want a lot of work. Mopar did make a carbureted intake manifold to fit Magnum V6 engines, which is a project I want to do eventually. Hard to find, but out there in the used market. I want to use an 87-88 block, magnum heads, and a carburetor along with 92-93 exhaust manifolds and Y pipe, then to a big single exhaust system.
The 1987 dakota v6 was carbed with a BBD 2BBL that sits on top of a tall spacer, so that carb can be trashed and then there is room for adapters to use bigger carbs. That manifold can be used on any V6 up thru 91.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:42 AM
Inactive User

Yes, shoehorning a V8 into the '63 "A" body is the hardest of the bunch, but not impossible. You'll have to coax the firewall back and up a little. The exhaust manifolds aren't really a problem; use the '68-'70 hipo 340 units. In spite of people saying that they won't fit, they will. It's tight, but they do fit. You can always cut the inner fenders for fenderwell headers, too, but there are suspension/tire clearance issues. I think the best way to go is to cough up the green for a custom made set. It wouldn't be cheap, but you'd have all of the issues addressed and perhaps wouldn't even need to do any cutting at all, but I'm not certain of that. I also think the 273 and 318 motor mounts are the same. I happen to have an NOS pair if you're interested.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:02 AM
Inactive User

Or you could leave the 225 in there and have all the room in the world to go with a Garrett T3 Turbocharger and a nice hipo carter 2bbl 500cfm carb with a clifford aluminum intake. Get a Clifford cam and have a 13.5 second crooked monster.

I want a slant six Demon with a Garret or an Airesearch force fed block!
Old 02-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin I got some

I have the '89 and '91 3.9's waiting for rebuild. The heads are from the same. I aalso have a 95 Magnum block and heads. I still have a lot of the goods if you are serious about doing a V6. I can give you a good bare block, crank, rods, and ported heads for 500 bucks. Just email me or call at 501-827-8324. No, this is not
Old 02-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Inactive User

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar40090.htm

Bookmark this link, and download a copy into word, or print a copy.
This is excellent info when considering mopar small block swaps.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Inactive User

Uh, I don't trust the information on that site. It's almost right in some respects, but the term "may or may not," used at least once, gives me the impression that the author may or may not have done all of his homework.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart 65
Uh, I don't trust the information on that site. It's almost right in some respects, but the term "may or may not," used at least once, gives me the impression that the author may or may not have done all of his homework.
Well, how picky can you get? The writer is involved in the business of rebuilding engines, so I suspect that he has been involved in the rebuilding of more engines than all of us in this forum combined will ever be.

There is a TON of good info in there, and to put down the author because he doesn't know everything, or that he doesn't have control over what Mopar may or may not have have done in any particular year, is no reason that the rest of us can't benefit from the info.

Old 02-12-2005, 07:33 PM

Wink

A nice rounded rubber mallet and some carefull pounding(you could try heating up the metal w/ a propane torch,as long as there is nothing behind that you would melt or burn behind the firewall area that you are "reworking") would probably get that A Engine in there. Use an empty block w/ a "dummy" distributer (an old beat up one w/ a distributer cap you don't plan on using) and plan to put it in & out of the car a few times until you "make" it fit. Also you could test out this method on a 'Junker " if you have on laying around Note: Have a water hose ready and make sure there are no fuel lines or brake lines anywhere near if you use the propane torch!
Note on the 3.9 if you attempt using on of these engines, The dist. is in the same location as the A Engine (in relation to the belhousing area) so just moving the engine foward is not really an option unless you are planing to totally rework the trans mount too! So it will be about the same amount of work if not more! Also the 3.9 engine will require wireing and a computer from a doner vehicle unless you use one of the earlier carburated ones. (which are low H.P. dogs)