Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:49 AM
Inactive User

Default 360 build up questions.

I am building up the #'s matching 360 for my '72 D100 Adventurer SE restoration/ slight mod project.

I have everything done except for the crank and piston balancing ($150 will get the job done.)

The heads have a 3 angle valve job, new brass guides, seals, cam-matched springs and hardened exhaust valve seats installed.

The block is a .040 over (wouldn't accept a .030 over) with new flat top pistons (with valve reliefs) new bearings (including camshaft bearings), matched lifters, hughes camshaft, a new oil pump and freeze plugs. everything else that was original was hot tanked, of course.

I bought a Mopar Perormance M1 dual plane aluminum manifold and I have a hot tanked 1971 Carter AVS core that I rebuilt that came off of a 1971 Chrysler station wagon with a 383.

I'm using a factory dual snorkel air cleaner and mopar performance 1 5/8" headers to 3" collectors down to 2 1/2" swirl finished stainless steel full dual exhaust through Flow Tech Warlock mufflers.

It is a factory electronic ignition (new everything) along with a Jacob's Electronics ProStreet inductive ignition using 8.5mm Taylor wires with jacob's ceramic boots and A/C Delco Irridium plugs gapped at .040".

I live in the Denver Colorado area (about 5,400 feet) and I was wondering if anyone knew what size of primary jets (same as an edelbrock or carter AFB) to use in this carb on this engine at this altitude.

I could throw this thing on a 318 to test and tune it, but that's not quite the same as a warmed over 360. I can't be messing with this carb when I do my initial fire off to break this thing in or I'll run the risk of screwwing up my brand new cam and lifters and everything.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

That 383 Carter is (As per Carters tech line) 630 CFM. I say throw it on the 318 and jet it rich. Not crazy rich, but as they say, "Fat". This should get it in the ball park for a warmed up 360. The stock jet/rod combo should be preety good since it's off a 383.
The nice thing about a OE AVS is that you can get the rod and spring covers from Edel. or other that are flat to swap right over and work fine.
The flat covers will let you use the standard AFB rods that Edelbrock offers. No more 3 step rods.
If the carb is lean, just shut it down and swap out rods. Better to foul plugs during break in.
Also, I own a Jacobs Pro Street. There very very powerful units. Regap the plugs around .055 - .060. Not for nothing, I truly think you could even open the gap more and still see improvement.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, the new Edelbrock AVS series uses the AFB metering rods and jets. I have some flat ones, but I'd like to see how these stepped rods work. They seem like a better plan and have more variation for drivability... In theory, they should adjust better under different throttle positions.

This 383 car was an original Colorado car, so I'll probably be within a good range to start with.

I just don't want some stupid carburetor issue to eat a brand new $300 cam/spring/lifter setup that was custom ground for my truck by the folks at hughes. I'd be out a month waiting for another grind.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:41 AM
Inactive User

I'm a big fan of jacobs electronics. I like the fact that the rev limiter is infinitly adjustable and it comes with a tune mode and an optional security system.

By the way, did you break your engine in on tune up mode (regular ignition) or with the box on and running? The book doesn't say anything about it except for the timing adjustment, which can't be done unless you shut the Jacob's system off so it won't send multiple impulses to the light and give you a bogus signal. I'm thinking about keeping it shut off until the rings seat, but I don't know that it matters or if it's actually better to run it all the time.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish360
That 383 Carter is (As per Carters tech line) 630 CFM. I say throw it on the 318 and jet it rich. Not crazy rich, but as they say, "Fat". This should get it in the ball park for a warmed up 360. The stock jet/rod combo should be preety good since it's off a 383.
The nice thing about a OE AVS is that you can get the rod and spring covers from Edel. or other that are flat to swap right over and work fine.
The flat covers will let you use the standard AFB rods that Edelbrock offers. No more 3 step rods.
If the carb is lean, just shut it down and swap out rods. Better to foul plugs during break in.
Also, I own a Jacobs Pro Street. There very very powerful units. Regap the plugs around .055 - .060. Not for nothing, I truly think you could even open the gap more and still see improvement.
This is true only if the metering rods and primary jets are 2 step or you will have to change the primary jets to the shorter (two step metering rod style)style for proper function from the 3 step setup.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

DEMON SIZZLER; Hey buddy, Thanks for picking up my dropped ball on that issue. P.S. I'll be in touch tomorrow on those pics for the carb.

TrashedCharger; The Cuda did not use the Jacobs ignition. Believe it or not, I used it on my wifes old '94 Hyundia Excel w/a 5spd tranny. This mod alone with adjustments bang the mileage up to 40 on average, better on long trips we took.
The problem I was having with the system was the spark was so strong, it would go through plugs offten. It burned out a cap and rotor to the point of crumbled plastic and dust once. Frankly, I couldn't believe it was still running when I took it apart.
The create 360 shortblock in the Cuda was a poor machining job. MoPar Performance sends there seasoned short blocks out to a compny to have work done on them. The problem here is (I believe) is it goes to the low bidder. Then the winner must turn a profit on the deal. In doing so, they turn out cruddy work.
I had pistons zero deck even on the passenger side while the driver side had positive piston on a unlevel scale. #1 was .010 positive and it rose to .013 by the time it got to # 7.
This created a problem with my Edelbrock closed chambered heads.
If I didn't outright NEED this, it would have gone back one way or another.