Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Inactive User

Default Universal doesn't seem to fit

After having my RR apart all fall and winter I'm putting it all back together again. I'm waiting for a clutch pedal push rod and some other odds and ends by mail then shes ready to go. I'm putting the drive shaft back on and after tightening the clamps at pinion yolk noticed there is side to side play. Its like the c-clips should be a bit thicker to fit snugly on the inside of the yolk. I bought a new one thinking the previous owner messed up again ( oh ya, it's been a gong show with what I've found). Thats another story. Same thing with new one. Theres a bit of play at the clamps too. Shouldn't the clamps be tight against the bearing cups? The rear is a 741 case with 2 1/8 yolk. I tried it on the 742 case I have and its the same. Universal fits great at the shaft end. Any ideas? It has me stumped.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Are you trying to put the straps for the big U joint on the small U joint?? There is a big and small size U joint you know?
Old 02-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Inactive User

Sounds like it DW.

When I swapped in my Sure-grip I had the reverse kind of problem.

Big-U at the yoke..Small-U at the shaft. Clamp didn't fully seat at the yoke.

Solution was a combo U joint, and that was that.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Yep, that's the only thing I can come up with, unless the yoke is damaged in some way.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Inactive User

Are you saying that there is a large and small side to the ujoint itself or the size of the yolk? Its the 2 1/8 yolk not the 2 5/8.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Inactive User

The ujoint is for the small yolk
Old 02-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Inactive User

Sounds like the same situation I had.

7260 u-joint at the drive shaft trying to mate to a large pinion yoke that takes a 7290 u-joint.

We got a u-joint at NAPA that was a combination to fit each side properly.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Inactive User

Default Universal joint sizes

Drew

The 8-3/4" axle was offered with two size cross & roller style universal joint. These are referred to as the '7260' (2-1/8" yoke ID) and the '7290' (2-5/8" yoke ID). The cap diameter for the '7260' is 1.078". The cap diameter for the '7290' is 1.126". The difference in cap diameter is 0.063" (or 1/16 inch I think). This sounds like what you might be seeing.

There is also a conversion U joint that has the big size one way and the small size the other way: NE2-0527, $29, conversion U joint, cross between U-7260 and U-7290; (price is from Bob Mazzolini Racing).

I am suspect that someone replaced your differential pumkin, and the new pumkin had the "other yoke" but the 'gong show' guy didn't fix that. Probably you need to get the above-mentioned "conversion U-joint".

Hope this helps.

Tim
Old 02-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Inactive User

Now I get ya. The drive shaft is for the small ujoint and the yolk could be for the large. Where do you measure? To the center or the inside. Inside to inside on the yolk is 2 1/8, center to center is 2 5/8 in the cup seat. jasontlit, if thats the case you say you can get the combo ujoint at Napa?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Inactive User

Funny thing...I noticed I had an issue the opposite way.

My C-clips wouldn't fully mate to the yoke when torqed down.

I was trying to use the small clips on the big yoke so my u-joint didn't have any slop, but there was some air where the yoke met the clip.

If I remember right we didn't figure it out until we found some clips for the 7290 (big) and could see that when torqed down there would be a sloppy fit.

Luckily, someone has already thought of a good solution...and lucky too that a local store had one in stock as I was at my friends shop 2.25 hrs from home when we did the swap!
Old 02-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Inactive User

Yeah, Napa had it.

I was suprised to see that the counter dude already knew of it...But, i'm forced to shop at Kragen most of the time.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Inactive User

Default thanks

Ok, gonna check out Napa tomorrow. Thanks guys, I may have been head scratchin for the next month trying to figure this one out.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Inactive User

Default Conversion U joint

Hey Drew,

I only knew about this fix, because the pros on this MoparChat told it to me about 6 months ago!! (I had a situation that needed the conversion U joint.)

And sure enough, they were right!

Tim
Old 02-17-2005, 11:48 PM
Banned

Biggrin

I knew we where good for something on here ... LOL!!
Old 02-18-2005, 12:40 AM
Inactive User

Default Kragen U joins are bad.

Don't shop at Checker/Schucks/Kragen for U joints! I know because I'm an ex-employee. They use metric tooling on EVERY U joint that goes through there.

I attempted to use a set of universal joints for the driveshaft on my 318 '73 Plymouth Scamp and after checking the casting number 3 times, checking the computer at the store and having the joint not fit I measured the needle bearing cups with a dial caliper and found out that they were about .038" too big and the grove for the snap rings were cut .043" too narrow to fit into the yoke. They were listed as the CORRECT part for those yokes. I tried 3 sets of them against my driveshaft before giving up on the store and went to Car Quest.

The units from Car Quest fit perfectly, the first time, with no fight and they measured exactly the same as my originals.

My friend threw a set in from Kragen that he fought to get into his driveshaft and they failed 2 months later.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:02 AM
Inactive User

I knew that bloody metric system would come back to haunt some day. I hope the ujoints are not made in Canada.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin Yes!!!!!

Called Napa this morning with NE# from eckerts post and there is such a baby, of course they dont stock it but will be in tomorrow. Thanks again to all who helped figure this thing out for me.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:23 AM
Inactive User

Default Back to square 1 with the u-joint

I picked up the combo ujoint today, opened the box and new right away the big side was WAY too big. I did a mock install on the 3.23 pig that was in the rear before I changed to 3.91. The large side never even came close to fitting. The small side fit better than the new Spicer ujoint with no side to side play but still had 8 thou of space betwwen the bottom of the bearing cup and the seat with the clamps tightened up. Maybe the clamps are stretched a bit. So thats the only other thing it can be I think cuz the ujoint fit the same in both yolks unless both are worn the same. If new clamps dont do it I wonder if shim stock would work or be advisable.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Inactive User

Wow, that's a trippy situation.

The only other guess/advice I have is to make sure beyond a doubt that you have the correct size straps in the correct places. I seem to remember that they don't look that much different in size.

Mine fit real nice, but we did mark the straps so as not to mix them up. Good luck! J
Old 02-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Inactive User

Improvisation(hope it dont come back to bite me)

I got the new straps and that took care of the .008 gap there. I still had a bit of side to side play so what I did there was I had the rings for the large bearings. I measured the thickness of the thinner rings I had on the small cups with a caliper and opened it up a bit more. Then I filed the thicker rings till they fit the caliper. Done deal, fixed, no play at all. Good to go now. Just thought I'd let you guys know.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Inactive User

Default Hey Drew

Just curious.

The side-to-side play you mention...is that the body of the u-joint moving in the bearing cups when only one axis is bolted up? Or is this something that is happening when the u-joint is attached at both the drive shaft and the pinion yoke?
Old 02-24-2005, 08:10 PM
Inactive User

Default Jason

Sorry about the late reply, been working the last few days. Yes its when the drive shaft is all buttoned up at the yolk. There was forward and backward play after the old straps were torqued down, fixed that by getting new straps. They must have been stretched a bit. The other play was side to side, in that, I could grab the ends of the cups, pressing them together with the ujoint seated in the yolk, rings in place and move it side to side a bit.