Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Power Adders

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Inactive User

Default Fuel pressure regulator?

Can anyone direct me in the direction of a boost controlled variable fuel pressure regulator?

I know that they're out there I just don't know what names to look for.

I am charging a \6 and I want to intercool this thing, but not with a drawthrough system where the carb is in front of the turbocharger and draws air and fuel through the turbo... If I did that, the intercooler would become a big gas/air filled bomb at the front of the car.

I need something to regulate the fuel pressure with increasing boost pressure and I don't want to run rich with low boost. unburned fuel = cylinder wash = is bad for oil and VERY bad for oil fed into a turbocharger...

any suggestions?

P.S. Fuel injection is too much work and $...lol. I know how, I just don't want to spend the $1,500+ on the injection and electronic engine management system.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Inactive User

How much boost are you looking for?
If it is a low (7-10)
get a 440 pump, tap the air hole on the back, and run a reference line to the intake. You have to swap the arm from the /6 pump onto the 440 one!
That should give you a 1-1 rise in pressure.
If you want more, get a aeromotive or something serious, because fueling is everything on a boosted car.
You can also modify a holley regulator, but I have not told you...
I am also working on a slanted turbo thing, so I know a little bit, but I am no expert.

Give us more info on your plans, and parts you will use!
We need good info to help you!
Old 02-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Inactive User

I am using a custom 1 5/8" header and tubilar intake manifold into an airesearch from a 2.2 with a carter 2bbl. stock camshaft, stock pistons and 8.75:1 compression.

I would like to intercool this thing as well.

I'll have to do some more research on the 440 mechanical pump and it's air passage.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Inactive User

I'm shooting for 9 PSI 2500RPM +...

I would like to make this thing look as factory as possible. I was considering using manifolds over tubes and making a 3" outlet from the ported manifold to the exhaust housing.

I will be pressurizing the inside and outside of the carb, so gaskets aren't a big deal.

Is there a way to have the carb exposed and still have equal pressure for float bowl vent (hose routing back into pressure box maybe??)

I'd like to get away from sealing the inside and outside of this thing with a box if possible.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Inactive User

The carter bbd is not a good carb to pressurize, Because:
The fuel inlet is too small
It is not easy to get them sealed

Sure, you can probably get it done somehow, but it will take some work.

Your compression is a bit high to run a lot of boost, but just start low, and see how much it will take. It could take more than I think, with the i/c and all.
The 2.2l turbos are small, and will probably work fine, but after some time, you want more. At least you have a t3...
Old 02-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Inactive User

I had a Cagle fuel pressure regulator in my turbo kit for a VW. It would sense engine vac/press. It ranged from 3 psi to 12 psi fuel pressure for 15" vac to 4 psi manifold pressure. This was for a draw through weber setup. It was from Turbocity in Ca.I am not sure if they are still around but probably any forced induction company could help you out.
dj
Old 09-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
P.S. Fuel injection is too much work and $...lol. I know how, I just don't want to spend the $1,500+ on the injection and electronic engine management system.
Actualy there are cheaper methods of doing fuel injection that work fine. The megasquirt system for instance- DIY fuel injection. Cost ya some $250 to build the computer, then you just have to fabricate the fuel rails, get some injectors (you can get some used #24s cheap and be all set), you could prolly do the whole thing under $500 USD.