Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Inactive User

Default I don't belive this!! I'm getting a 426!

I came acrossed a good '68 426 for $1,500 that is missing the carbs... It's been in a storage unit with a bunch of cleaning chemicals and some '71 Superbee parts... The only reason that the owner is selling is because he has another '70 engine for his '71 Bee project. I'm still pinching myself, but I'm picking it up soon! Change of plans for the '68 Charger in the garage!!! 440 idea ditched as well as the C body ideas for now.

I can't spend my $1,500 elewhere and see justification. I'll be bringing my mic and dial calipers with me just to be sure, but it was pulled from a hard rearended '68 Roadrunner back in 1979 and it's not advertized for sale, so all lights are green so far.

I'll update with pics soon hopefully!
Old 02-27-2005, 04:59 PM
Inactive User

I got so excited over the phone call that I forgot the reason that I posted.

I was going to ask you folks if there were any common problems with these things fatiguing or any commonly trashed parts that may need examination before I say "let's go!" with this thing.

I'd hate to have the dream shatter with the pruchase of a $1,500 boat anchor.

Any heads up on this thing?
Old 02-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Banned

I HATE YOU!
some people get all the breaks!
Old 02-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Inactive User

I read your post and threw up with envy..... Now that I've gargled with mouthwash, I figured I'd add my two cents.

It's a great deal no doubt about it. Even if, worse comes to worst, the block is unuseable, you can still part out whatever parts are still good on it and double your money.

By the way, what's the "other engine" the guy is planning to put in his Superbee?
Old 02-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Inactive User

I would approach this with caution. AFAIK, there were no '68 426 wedges. The 426 street wedge was rated at 365 hp and was superceded by the 440HP(375hp) in '66. The only 426 worth any money is the Max Wedge and that was superceded by the 426 Hemi in '64.

Check the numbers on the block and heads. The motor is probably older and not worth the money he is asking. The heads are the old closed chamber 516 with small valves and dont flow as good as the later 916 magnum heads used on the 383 and 440s in 67 and the 906 heads used on the 68 and 69s.

dont want to be bearer of bad news..but IMHO..go with your orrigianl idea of a 440. The 440 is a better engine to start with.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalB1
I would approach this with caution. AFAIK, there were no '68 426 wedges. The 426 street wedge was rated at 365 hp and was superceded by the 440HP(375hp) in '66. The only 426 worth any money is the Max Wedge and that was superceded by the 426 Hemi in '64.

Check the numbers on the block and heads. The motor is probably older and not worth the money he is asking. The heads are the old closed chamber 516 with small valves and dont flow as good as the later 916 magnum heads used on the 383 and 440s in 67 and the 906 heads used on the 68 and 69s.

dont want to be bearer of bad news..but IMHO..go with your orrigianl idea of a 440. The 440 is a better engine to start with.
I belive the 426 in question is a hemi....
Old 02-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Inactive User

If it is a HEMI... and you decide not to grab that deal... Let me know where the heck it is... Maybe I could use some ..er.. um.. spare parts or something...
Old 02-27-2005, 08:07 PM
Inactive User

Default Good For You!

Hope it checks out-worst comes to mind would be needing to sleeve it or weld the crank(spun bearings).Only way the block would be unusable that I can envision would be a hole in the side(but then that can be welded) or if it did that splitting thing up the middle(it would have to be really beat on to do that,though).Sounds like somebody just squirreled it away as a spare,and you got a good deal,otherwise.Congrats!
Old 02-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Inactive User

It is a hemi... I wish it were a '64 maxwedge. I know where a 1964 Dodge Polara 500 Conv't is for $8,000 that would LOVE to have that engine. But hell, I cant complain having a '68 block for my '68 Charger.

It makes me sick hearing about people hitting it lucky like this, but you're all welcome to drive it once it's done if you like with me. No kidding. Every mopar fan is entitled to smashing the pedal of a hemi car down the track at least once.

I have been had before with mopar finds and I'm usually on the dissapointed side of things. I lost a 65,000 mile '69 Charger priced at $300 in 1996 to some guy that wrote the seller a check for $20 more than my cash that I gave her. She went into the house to get the title to give me after I gave her the $. She came back into the garage where the car was sitting for 15 years 20 minutes later with this guy that saw the ad in the paper that wrote her the check. I was 14, broken and pissed off at the woman (1st owner) backing out of a done deal and I about punched the ****** in the face that wrote the check. I had been looking for a '68-70 Charger for 5 years to restore. I said things that day that I never want to again.

I guess this is a break and I know my fortune well and am greatful for it.

The other engine that is going in the '71 Bee is a '70 426 Hemi.

If you met this guy there's no way in hell you'd think he owns a hemi, let alone 2 or a '71 bee.

The bee has been sitting on blocks for years, has the original paint and dana 60, the 440 and 4 speed are gone, but he has another 4 speed and the original air grabber hood.

I heared of this guy because he sandblasts stuff for cheap and my jaw dropped when I saw his car. I said that I loved his car and he laughed. He said "You're the only person I have met that has seen this car and appreciated it for what it is." I asked what was in it before and he said "the 440 is long gone with the 4 speed, but I have a hemi for it." I asked "A 426 hemi? No way man." He said "Take a look." and blew the sand off of a tarp and sure enough, after uncovering it, there sat a shrinkwrapped 24,000 mile '70 426 hemi on a tire.

He said "I have another one too." I asked if he'd want to sell it and he said that he'd check to see if it's all there. He called me up asking $1,500 for everything, but he said someone stole the carbs...

Oh well. I'd be happy with a lower half for that $.

I just hope the heads are at least good. I should be spending the money on my '72 D100 resto to buy my plug wires, tail light lenses, rear bumper, tires and basecoat to finish it, but I can always buy new parts.

I'll be 40 and even more jaded if I let THIS deal go too. lol...
Old 02-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Inactive User

Jeez... now that I really put this thing together in my head, I may finish the truck and sell it restored to throw the $$$$ at my '68 Charger so I can get some panels for me to weld in, some mechanical and interior stuff, paint, vinyl top and some magnum 500's instead of using the truck as a daily driver...

I could get a Geo Metro for a driver, just to have a bumper sticker that said (I GOT A HEMI)

I love my truck though... Fork in the road! wow...
Old 02-27-2005, 08:25 PM
Inactive User

I dont even know you, and I already hate you!!!
(Doesnt everyone hate someone with a "free" hemi?)

I say go for a hemi truck and sell that charger
And get a yugo with a sticker instead, better than geo...

OK I will stop now...
Old 02-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Inactive User

Hey, TC, I'm only 80 miles or so from you. If you wanna make a quick $50, I'll bring my truck and take it off your hands!!

Good luck. I'm jealous. TweetyBird (my 73) would sure sound nice with that thing.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:23 PM
Inactive User

hahaha... hemi truck huh? I've seen it done. That would be a wicked head turner at a show!

I love my Charger though. It's my first car!

I don't know what to make of it. I just know that I should own it soon.

Maybe I should just rotisserie resto my Charger, hemi it up and Barrett Jackson it for a house hahahaha... That would be the conseeded prick thing to do.

And you'd catch me riding in a 5.0 mustang.

I'll send some pics of it soon!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Inactive User

wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar4LIF
I belive the 426 in question is a hemi....
Hey TC, I'm glad i was wrong ass-suming it was a wedge..LOL

But, still that is literally a STEAL , so I would still approach with caution..

Good luck and congrats on a spectacular find!
Old 02-28-2005, 01:22 AM
Inactive User

see the price scares me, that's why I was asking about any common problems with these things that a person with zero experience with a hemi would need to look for.

I don't think he'd hold onto junk for as long as he's owned these engines, but I don't know the entire history behind the engine other than it came from a '68 roadrunner (which was the most common 426 hemi car made) and it was a totalled vehicle. He has the 727 for it as well with the 4 gear planetarys, which he wants $400 for. I was thinking of buying my neighbors A833 4 speed that came from his roadrunner.

He said that I could cut the hump and 4 speed parts from his car and it comes with a rebuilt and restored pistol grip redone by hurst for $500

it needs rebuilt too, but I just like the idea of throwing a 4 speed behind the hemi (with maybe a gear vendors od!)

I'll just proceed with caution and make sure that there is at least $1,500 worth of parts that are good that are left on it. He says it's a-okay, so I guess we'll see.

Any heads up about 426hemi related common problems would be awesome if posted!
Old 02-28-2005, 02:50 AM
Inactive User

The Hemi engine was an option on the Road Runner but I cannot find out many were equipped with the 426. The GTXs got 410 HT and 36 convertibles. The carbs were Carter AFBs which are still available new. I was running a GTO in those days and had more respect for the 383s than the Hemi or 440, they were more reliable in the street races and were probably under rated. The Hemi's used a quart of oil every 1000 miles, loaded up in city traffic and were detuned race engines, why do you think not very many were sold? The 440 is a better option because of the availability of vendors offering good parts for a reasonable price. The casting numbers for the 68 cyclinders heads are 2780559, dist 2875102 manual 2875209 auto. Think of total cost not initial and proceed with caution, this could be a satisfactory project?
Old 02-28-2005, 03:20 AM

Forget caution dude - buy it. And it's nice to hear of someone having good luck like this - I'd say it more than makes up for the car you lost. They say what goes around, comes around, and it'd be nice to think the bastard that screwed you out of the Charger eventually got run over by a hemi car like the one you're going to end up with. Now that would be karma...
Old 02-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Inactive User

Recently I priced a 67 hemi block that was .060 over and he wanted $2500.(firm)! You can get a NEW hemi block for less. But collectors will pay top dollar for numbers matching stuff.

The only thing you might try is tell him you will have the block and heads sonic checked and magnafluxed for cracks. And see if he will give you your money back if the motor is junk.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Inactive User

Hey George... your right, I had a 69 Hemi in a GTX... loaded up at low rpms.. burned oil I think it was closer to a quart every 1500 miles...

BUT....

Depending on how their set up... there is nothing like a Hemi... If you've got a chance to get one for that price... it would have to be pretty darned beat to crap before it's not a great deal.

The block alone if it not windowed... is worth twice that...
Old 02-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Inactive User

Default Something is fishy here

A guy has a (68) 426 Hemi, Intake to oil pan and it's in fair to good cond.
He is only asking $1500 for it. I say the motor is junk or this guy is just plain dumb!
The intake alone will bring $1000+, more yet if it had carbs, at the Mopar swaps.
I've seen 392 hemi's go for around $1500 or more.
Hemi's are cool looking but just to dam heavy. I heard about 100 lbs more than the 440.
Check it over good.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:29 PM

Default cheap hemi

I looked at a 1970 Hemi from the west side of Wisconsin a few years back. The guy wanted $1500 for the bare block and heads. When I got there the block was cracked (The dummy left water in it and stored it outside) Not only was it cracked it was cracked and repaired a couple times before (allot of block welds) The heads were in indescribable shape (many cracks and weld fixes) Hemis are easily damaged by freezing and thawing conditions.

I was VERY disappointed.. I'm donÂ’t know what my $1500 would have bought but a large paper weight.

Take care of that hem
Old 03-01-2005, 03:15 AM
Inactive User

According to this owner, the hemi was pulled in 1979. It has been disassembled and put into boxes and bags and is the only engine in storage in this closet with a bunch of cleaning chemicals. He said it turned over and ran. the block has no ridge according to him, but I'll be bringing my measurin' stick just in case.

He said that if I wanted to have a machinist look it over before I bought it that he'd help bring it all down, but he'd want to go with me, which is understandable.

I'm only gonna run a single four barrel on this rig, so it shouldn't load up. I'm also going to run individual rocker stands with the corrected geometry and irridium spark plugs to help keep the fouling down.

He also has a 331 and a 392, but the 392 lives in sand (he's a sandblaster) and would need a CLOSE eye and some cleanup before even considering a machine shop...

I'm pretty confident about this engine knowing a little more about it's conditions and when and why it was pulled.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Inactive User

Boy... I can't believe there is this much debate on this deal...

You are one lucky dude... if you don't grab the deal for yourself... at least grab it for one of us... I'd love to have another one to slip into my GTX..

Anyone suggesting that a 440 is anything close to a HEMI has either not owned one or has done a poor job building one...

I have to update my site one of these days but there isn't a 440 (in a street car...) in three states of here that will put this bad boy down...

http://www.omniracing.net/manip_DSCF0042.JPG

Like I said before... THERE'S NOTHING LIKE A HEMI...

And one other thing that's fun... Is when people come up to ask, you can say....

Yeah.... It's a Hemi
Old 03-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Wow, NICE BigIron! Blown hemis are un beatable. But N/A vs N/A a B1 head 440 will hang with any hemi!(well except for Allen Johnsons, maybe,)
Old 03-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Inactive User

Default Hey BIG IRON!

I don't want to start a ( my dad can beat up your dad war) But to say a 440 isn't even close to a Hemi is like saying a 360 could never touch a 340.
They both make awesome power. The Hemi is heavier and cost more money to build.
Give them both credit. The 440 is every bit as good dollar for dollar as the Hemi.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:23 AM
Inactive User

Hey bigiron that's a super looking setup! I'll bet it's quick as hell!!!!!!!! Check out www.69gtx.com .........djs
Old 03-02-2005, 05:50 AM
Inactive User

I think if anyone asks why I turned down a 440 for a hemi, I'll say that I did it for the ease of spark plug removal and installation and no other reason. I know that a 440 will stomp a hemi, dollar for dollar as will a 360 kill a 340 dollar for dollar because the hemi and 340 are rare factory performance package engines ONLY...

The 440 was available in a lot of things, as was the 360, so you have more supply to meet the demand for aftermarket parts and a cheaper $ tag on them... less $ needed for a single mod = more or better mods = more hp for the $. I just want to see the look on faces when they see what apears to be a concourse restored trailor queen stock bodied non R/T '68 Charger roll up and have an elephant under the hood.

The engine will look extremely stock from the outside as will the interior and body of my car. It will be everything that a loaded R/T would be without the R/T badges. I even have a tic toc tach that is in beautiful shape that I got for free in a trunk of parts that came with my '69 Coronet that had a '69 Charger front end put on it. I got the car for the front sheet metal to redo my '68 (swapped marker lamps, etc). It also had a NOS in the box '69 Charger grille ('69 was no use to me, but it was free!) and I paid $700 for that car in 2000.

I ended up trading the grille to a guy that had a '69 Charger with a perfect '68 Grille in it for his grille. He was extatic that I even had the I trim for the center in great shape...

I just threw a Coronet front clip with a buldge hood back on the car and sold it on ebay for $1,800 with the 383 and 727 that were in it. It was a rough car, but had no hard collision damage, just lots of bondo and shaker can primer and, surprisingly not a single stitch of rust in the floor pans and trunk floor. I almost cut it up for unibody sheetmetal for my Charger, but resisted and reminded myself that I could get an easy $1000 for it in restorable shape and I wouldn't maim another mopar in the doing, which would be against my religion as I restore cars for a living.

I was thinking it would be cool to throw the hemi badges on the doors, but not the R/T badges.

I have a console for it, but something in me wants to keep it a column shifted maniac with the beautiful non R/T steering wheel. It will be getting a gear vendors O/D and I will make use of the extra spot in the dash for the stock rear defog switch that will operate the O/D. I even have a bezel that I made for the dash that reads "O/D" in the stock white lettering underneath the switch that looks sharp and not a day older than August of 1967.

I want this car to get people at shows and the track take a double glance when they see things like that out of the corner of their eye. That makes an interesting car in my opinion. I don't want to make an insanely fast car, just somewhere in the low 13's-high 12's through full exhaust out of the rectangular stainless tips...15x7 Magnum500s, black vinyl top and the original Jamaica blue (teal) metallic done up in base clear urethane. This is going to be a fun car that will see the track and cruise in's.

I'll save my coffin on wheels for a '71 Demon with a dual Garret T3/4 turbocharged stroked 380 crate motor and 727/ dana 60.

I'll tell you one thing aside from my direct plans with this thing, I'd sell it all for a complete '58 Plymouth 2dr hardtop.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron
Boy... I can't believe there is this much debate on this deal...

You are one lucky dude... if you don't grab the deal for yourself... at least grab it for one of us... I'd love to have another one to slip into my GTX..

Anyone suggesting that a 440 is anything close to a HEMI has either not owned one or has done a poor job building one...

I have to update my site one of these days but there isn't a 440 (in a street car...) in three states of here that will put this bad boy down...

http://www.omniracing.net/manip_DSCF0042.JPG

Like I said before... THERE'S NOTHING LIKE A HEMI...

And one other thing that's fun... Is when people come up to ask, you can say....

Yeah.... It's a Hemi
Welll, the president of our local Moapr club gave a tech talk on big blocks and stated that the 440 was a much better street engine and the Hemi was the better track engine, This guy was just published in a major car magazine where a Chrysler 300 he built won an award at two major events. He works on Mopars daily for a living so he has some creditability.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Inactive User

I never once said that the Hemi was dollar for dollar better than a 440....

I said their's nothing like a Hemi... Big difference... I also didn't make any comparisons to which was a better street engine. Again I said properly built (and set up) a Hemi will put a 440 down... you just can't get enough air through a 440... I've tried.... still not talking dollar for dollar..

And to add to my original thoughts.... anyone that will take a $500 .. 440 over a $1500 426 Hemi doesn't understand the Hemis potential. And again I'm not talking dollar for dollar... or streetability....

I have them both.. I have raced them both... I accually have 440's in both my strip cars (right now) and the Hemi in the street car... I am first to admit that's backwards... but man it's fun to drive.

Think about it ... if the 440's where equal to the Hemi how could anyone sell one for $18,000 and the buyer think that he got a heck of a deal??

Now, I'm not trying to get into a great big debate about the pros and cons of each engine... Even if the engine in question isn't put into his Charger... It would be stupid if he didn't pick it up if for no other reason than to Ebay the parts and quadruple his investment over night.

I stand by my previous statment.... There's nothing like a Hemi....