Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Inactive User

Default manual steering

Correct Me If I Am Wrong, But Arent All Manual Steering Boxes The Same At Least Up Until 1976?
What I Am Asking Is Can I Change My Steering Box To Manual In My 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger? Will A Manual Box From A 1969 B-body For Instance?
Better Question Would Be, What Manual Boxes wont Fit?

Thanks For Your Help.

Caesar
Old 02-28-2005, 01:11 AM
Inactive User

the boxes are the same, but you may want to get an A body pitman arm... I'm not sure if they are the same.

You could look up the pitman arm at http://www.autozone.com and do a parts number comparison.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:50 AM

They are all good except the C body units and van units that have the larger output shaft. The B's were better, supposed to have bearings in them instead of bushings from the factory. The pitman arms would have a different clocking so you couldnt switch those.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:23 AM
Inactive User

1973 and later manual steering units that will fit your car:
Aspen 76-80 and Volare
Barracuda 73-74
Challenger 73-74
Charger 73-74 and 76
A-body 73-74
Dodge Pass 73-78 ex Royal Monaco
Ply Pass 73-78 ex gran Fury
Allk of these units are high effort 20-1 ratio that require a steering wheel shaft change longer, different coupler. All Mopar power boxes are 15.7-1 ratio and a firm Feel box can be ordered in three levels of firmness, or the Firm Feel spring used in police cars is still available from the dealers for about $30.00
Old 02-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Inactive User

The earlier B-van boxes are identical to the car boxes, whether manual or power. I converted my 76 B200 from manual to power, and later used the box to convert the other way on my 67 Barracuda. Recently, I got rid of the van, but I scavenged the power box and put it on my 68 Dart. Comparing the power and manual boxes, the power unit has the smaller input shaft and larger sector shaft, manual has the larger input shaft and smaller sector shaft. As far as the column goes, these units are a collapsable type, so you can change the length of the shaft to get the length you need. Manual to power - push it in; power to manual - pull it out.

torch
Old 03-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Inactive User

Default thanks

I am aware of the length differences between the power setup and the manual setup. I know that Firm Feel or what not offers an adapter for so that I can keep my power steering COLUMN. I just want the box, already have the pitman arm on the car. The guys that sold me the adapter told me that the pitman arms are the same for power to manual steering in the same make model and year car (example 1966 dart power steering vs 1966 dart manual steering). Thanks again for the helpful info, especially on the models and years that are usable for my application, that was EXACTLY what I was looking for.

thanks a lot.

Caesar
Old 03-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oibrownskin
I am aware of the length differences between the power setup and the manual setup. I know that Firm Feel or what not offers an adapter for so that I can keep my power steering COLUMN. I just want the box, already have the pitman arm on the car. The guys that sold me the adapter told me that the pitman arms are the same for power to manual steering in the same make model and year car (example 1966 dart power steering vs 1966 dart manual steering). Caesar
What I was getting at was that you can change the length of your steering column shaft, and NOT have to buy an adapter. The steering shaft is two pieces, and you can slide the lower half up or down to suit your swap. The only thing that keeps the lower half from sliding is some plastic buttons in the upper half (maybe some rust too), but this is not hard to overcome. All you need then is the coupler housing for the box you will use.

As for the pitman arm, I have done several steering swaps (both ways), and I have yet to find a pitman arm that will fit both. If your's swaps ok, let me know so I can note the exception. If it does not, you should call this company and tell them that they steered you wrong, so to speak.

torch
Old 03-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

We just did a 68 R/T power to man, changed box and used colum adapter. That was it. Looks gr8 works gr8 took about 2 hrs (we're slow) & 2 six packs.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Inactive User

Beer will definately slow you down!

torch
Old 03-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Inactive User

i saw that he firm feel spring is still availible. anyone have a part number? any suggestions on install?
dont want to jack the post guys.
thanks
michael
Old 03-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Inactive User

Default Pitman arms

Hey guys
I thought this thread would help but need a little more onfo.I am currently putting a manualy steering box in my 71 Duster that was power steering.The box fits fine and I am going to use Mancini's adapter but not sure about the pitman arm.The pitman arm on the manual box is the exact opposite of the one I have on the power box. Power box mounts through the bottom of the steering link and the manual box pitman arm wants to mount through the top.So don't think I can just use manual box pitman arm because of tapper fit in steering link.Also looks like pitman arms are different dia. holes where they mount on box saft.I was told the box was out of E-body bot not sure.What do I do,HELP!!
Old 03-09-2005, 11:24 AM

Looks like you got a large sector box. There were two sizes as you probably figured out. Firm feel may sell you a pitman arm that will work, but itll be cheaper to bone yard an entire small sector box and arm from a pull-a-part.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Inactive User

I think Moog and TRW still make them. Try some local parts stores, and order one as if your car already had manual steering.

torch
Old 03-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Inactive User

Duster originally came with power steering so how do I know it would have small shaft or big without ordering one?
Old 03-09-2005, 08:34 PM
Inactive User

Power steering has the bigger splines, so the power pitman arm would be sloppy on the shaft of the manual box. There is only two sector shaft sizes. One for manual boxes (small), and one for power boxes (large).

torch