Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-01-2005, 02:57 PM

Default solid cam hdry cam roller cam

Could someone please explain to me what is meant by a roller cam. Does this refer to a cam with solid lifters. What are the main differences between a solid and hydraulic?
Old 03-01-2005, 03:11 PM
Banned

Biggrin

O.k. a hydro lifter has a crown on the bottom of the lifter where the cam rides. IT also get oil from a galley in the lifter bore that feeds into the side of the lifter. It regulates a plunger inside the lifter to maintain a 0 clearance between the push rod and rocker arm . No adjustments are needed for this system

Solids use a lifter with the same crown on the bottom and a depression in the top for the push rod to ride in. It's a solid lifter and the bore supplies the lifter oil for lube only. You have to have an adjustable rocker arm and the correct push rods to use this system.

Hydro roller lifter uses a roller, somtimes with needle bearings that rides on the cam for less friction. The rest of the lifter works just like a regular hydro lifter. These require shorter pushrods since the lifter is taller.

Solid rollers use the same roller on the cam as a hydro roller and they are solid just like a solid lifter. These also use a shorter push rod since the lifters are taller.

The hydro is a good all around cam. The solid will allow a little more rpm on top end over a hydro. The hydro roller is used in many stock engines since the late 80's mostly to help with friction and power due to smog rules. They make performance rollers too but they are not for street use. They are just to radical in duration and lift for street use. Solid rollers will allow even higher rpms with even more radical duration and lift. These are a race only cam.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:12 PM

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgrabber
Could someone please explain to me what is meant by a roller cam. Does this refer to a cam with solid lifters. What are the main differences between a solid and hydraulic?
The term roller cam means that the cam was designed to be used with roller lifters. The difference between a solid (lifter cam) and a hydraulic (lifter cam) is in the ramp angles on the lobes.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Inactive User

Beat me to it dwc. Was just about to type all of what you said for the most part.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:25 PM

Biggrin

Good answer dw, but I thought he was asking for the differences in the cams themselves, not between the lifters. I guess I didn't read between the lines like you did.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Dang it, I can't when. If I put a short answer out there I get it for not suppling enough of a description, give a long one and I get it for over doing it. I can't win .... LOL!!!!!!!

YEah, I guess I can read between the lines better than you Dick so that makes me the right ??
Old 03-01-2005, 04:24 PM

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43
Dang it, I can't when. If I put a short answer out there I get it for not suppling enough of a description, give a long one and I get it for over doing it. I can't win .... LOL!!!!!!!

YEah, I guess I can read between the lines better than you Dick so that makes me the right ??
Well, I was just giving you the benefit of the doubt, since you didn't find a way to slide a TQ or an X-Pipe into your answer. Perhaps you read in between the lines, or didn't read the lines at all. I don't know.

That being said, I think the answers given by both of us covered all the bases.

So, you aren't working today either? I am off till Saturday when I do a double. Catching up while I can. Have had too many weekends lately when I pull five shifts in three days.

Old 03-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Banned

so, i got a question
will a hydraulic roller cam and a mechanical roller cam interchange? if not, why?

gotta keep dwc thinkin!
Old 03-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Well, I was just giving you the benefit of the doubt, since you didn't find a way to slide a TQ or an X-Pipe into your answer. Perhaps you read in between the lines, or didn't read the lines at all. I don't know.

That being said, I think the answers given by both of us covered all the bases.

So, you aren't working today either? I am off till Saturday when I do a double. Catching up while I can. Have had too many weekends lately when I pull five shifts in three days.

Two 12's the next two days arghhhhhhh!!!!!

Yeah we got it covered, I was just messin around.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetkboy78
so, i got a question
will a hydraulic roller cam and a mechanical roller cam interchange? if not, why?

gotta keep dwc thinkin!
I don't see as it would make any difference other than the push rod lenghts and socket types. IT should not uncover the oil galley any more than a hydro roller would and it does need some oil so it wont seize up. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this one.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:34 PM

Biggrin

Quote:
I don't see as it would make any difference other than the push rod lenghts and socket types. IT should not uncover the oil galley any more than a hydro roller would and it does need some oil so it wont seize up. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this one.
I have a better one, although I used to know the answer in a galaxy far away:

One cam, solid or hydraulic, can be used with either lifter, but one cannot. Does anyone know which? This does not involve adjustable rockers, which are another issue.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

All I gotta say is long winded answer are my bag. Getcha grubby hands of my basket varmin,, Bwa ha ha ha ha.

Dick, you gave DW the opening. Watch out.........
Old 03-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have a better one, although I used to know the answer in a galaxy far away:

One cam, solid or hydraulic, can be used with either lifter, but one cannot. Does anyone know which? This does not involve adjustable rockers, which are another issue.
"well, see, it has to do with the X pipe lining up with the thermoquad wich is almost the same effect as the moon lining up with uranus and the sun, except for the synthetic oil gets in the way of the 360 heads and the longer duration on the exaust side helps the dino oil wet the adaptor made of wood, and is more related to the Atkins diet than the sheep that rallye took home to the aspen with the B body front".
ok, ill stoppit! anyway, my question was about solid roller and hydraulic roller cam interchangability, is this what you are talking about?
Old 03-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgrabber
I don't know if they liffters can interchange. I never thought about it. I'd say a phone call is worth the pennys.

The lifters have a rolling pin if you will attached at the bottom to "roll" over the cams lobe. You can not use a roller lifter on any other kind of cam. The same goes for a solid lifter or a hyd. lifter.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:59 PM

Biggrin

Quote:
"well, see, it has to do with the X pipe lining up with the thermoquad wich is almost the same effect as the moon lining up with uranus and the sun, except for the synthetic oil gets in the way of the 360 heads and the longer duration on the exaust side helps the dino oil wet the adaptor made of wood, and is more related to the Atkins diet than the sheep that rallye took home to the aspen with the B body front".
ok, ill stoppit! anyway, my question was about solid roller and hydraulic roller cam interchangability, is this what you are talking about?

You left out the K-frame.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
You left out the K-frame.
yeah, kinda like the K frame that was in the D300 with a 8 3/4 rear that was stronger than the fishing trip from Tenessee after NZ's cow jumped over the valiant with the thermoquad manifold with the 1bbl flat head ford after i left the........................................
Old 03-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Inactive User

Quote:

You wote a nice response - I enjoyed reading it - it's not always about following directions - but sometimes about sharing what's in our heart.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:54 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by doungta1@aol
You wote a nice response - I enjoyed reading it - it's not always about following directions - but sometimes about sharing what's in our heart.
Thank you very much!! Now don't get too close to these other guys here, or they will have you doin sheep and cows before you leave ... LOL!!! We need to start giving out warnings to the newbs on this don't ya think ... LOL!!
Old 03-02-2005, 02:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
We need to start giving out warnings to the newbs on this don't ya think ... LOL!!
yeah, good idea! NOBODY WARNED ME!
Old 03-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Banned

Biggrin

You stepped in face first so it's your own fault. You don't get a warnning that way ... LOL!!
Old 03-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
so, i got a question

gotta keep dwc thinkin!
Cams & lifters usually come as sets, although you can buy lifers by themselves, but get the correct lifter(s) for the cam that you have. I would not interchange/mix them. Maybe you can in today's world, but old school says "Don't do it". If you are asking if a hydraulic roller cam can be swapped out for a mechanical roller cam & vise-versa, the answer is yes, but change the lifters too.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

I'm so glad where still on topic.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:38 PM

Biggrin

Another thought, from "the old school" was that used lifters removed for any reason must be replaced back in the bores they came from. Each cam lobe and lifter develop a wear pattern that is unique and if used lifters are mixed up, extra wear and possibly failure are imminent. Agree Rumble?

Old 03-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Thats what Ive been told by my mentors. Never ever mix'em up.
Sharpie marks work well instead of the minds memory.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish360
Thats what Ive been told by my mentors. Never ever mix'em up.
Sharpie marks work well instead of the minds memory.
Plastic valve train tray works even better ... LOL!!
Old 03-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Thats what Ive been told by my mentors. Never ever mix'em up. Sharpie marks work well instead of the minds memory.
An old lifter box, numbered 1-8 on one side and 9-16 on the other works for me.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Banned

Question

i prefer a lifter box, and i poke the pushrod in next to it, so basically, no one knows if i can put mechanical roller lifters on a cam made for a hydraulic roller?
Old 03-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

dwc43, zij576ca;

So what do you guys use before that plastic box. Not for nothin, I don't keep old lifter boxs around and I do not have or had a use for a plastic box.
I can see DW needing one for the track car.

If I swap out a cam, I can just line them up on the bench. Is that so bad?

You advice is not wanted here on that. I'll save my pennys on a plastic box for now. I can see how it would help though. Keep advice for those seeking it. Otherwise, it is much like the hot air out of the lower opening.
Unwanted.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
dwc43, zij576ca;

So what do you guys use before that plastic box. Not for nothin, I don't keep old lifter boxs around and I do not have or had a use for a plastic box.
I can see DW needing one for the track car.

If I swap out a cam, I can just line them up on the bench. Is that so bad?

You advice is not wanted here on that. I'll save my pennys on a plastic box for now. I can see how it would help though. Keep advice for those seeking it. Otherwise, it is much like the hot air out of the lower opening.
Unwanted.
Jeez grumblefish!
anyway, ive never heard or seen a plastic valvetrain tray something new to me. i usually dont re-use lifters (unless therr roller) and i use the lifter box while the new ones are soaking.
lining them up on the bench works too !
so, hydro roller cam with mech roller lifters, will it work?
Old 03-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Jeez grumblefish!
anyway, ive never heard or seen a plastic valvetrain tray
There's you a couple of tool trays. These are not like the one I have, but the only ones I could find with just a quick search. I've seen better ones than that blue one that olds your plugs, push rods, rockers, etc etc. Then there is an engine building tray that holds all your rods, pistons, bolts, bearings, lube, etc. etc. etc.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...=KeywordSearch

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...=KeywordSearch