Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Inactive User

Default Srt4

I have not seen too many SRT 4's around here i saw one on a dealer lot how are they holding up do they have the problems as the basic neon blown head gaskets the facts ought to be out by now what problems do they have if any
Old 03-22-2005, 04:08 AM
Inactive User

They are pretty much flawless. They eliminated the whole head gasket problem back in mid 1999 on the Neon's. The only problems with the SRT-4's have been very minimal, slight needle movement between 70 and 75 MPH, a few have had a throttle body sensor become unplugged or have a wire break under heavy acceleration due to a short wiring harness and wheels and tires that are far too narrow to handle their power and torque. There are also quite a few that have problems with the shifter knob coming off in their hand when they shift hard into 2nd or 4th gear, they are pulling up on it instead of back which is why they are coming off, they are held on by a clip and are removed by pulling straight up rather hard. I have had my SRT-4 for over a year now and it has never happened to me and I installed the Mopar Performance short throw shifter.

The SRT-4 is by far the second best performance car from DCX just under the Viper. They are limited production and are only being made for 3 years, '03-'05, this is the last year for them. They are very affordable and have great performance from the factory, 0-60 MPH in 5.3-5.8 and 13.7-13.9 in the 1/4 mile @ 102-103 MPH with a top speed from 153+ MPH on up past the 160 MPH speedometer depending on the weather conditions. And that is all just stock, there are tons of performance parts available for it. From Mopar Performance you can get more than 355 horsepower and 365 lbs.-ft. of torque with just Stage 3 and their cat-back exhaust. There are other items to easily push them over the 500-600 horsepower mark as well.

So far I have these on or for my SRT-4:
Mopar/Borla cat-back exhaust
Mopar Performance Blow Off Valve
Mopar Performance Stage 1
MSD Super Conductor plug wires
MSD ignition coil
K & N Typhoon Cold Air Intake
Prothane Race Motor Mount Inserts
Mopar Performance Short Throw Shifter w/booger bushings
ATP Pressure Pipe
2 Oil Catch Cans
MPx Front Strut Tower Brace
DC Sports CS2 Rear Strut Tower Brace
Triple Pillar Gauge Pod
Auto Meter Pro Comp Ultra Lite Electric Oil Pressure Gauge
Auto Meter Pro Comp Ultra Lite Electric Volt Gauge
Auto Meter Pro Comp Ultra Lite Electric Exhaust Gas Temperature Gauge

Here are a few pics of my SRT-4:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MoparPerformance.JPG (82.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg MoparBorla.JPG (26.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-22-2005, 04:37 AM
Inactive User

And here are a few other pics of it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SRT-4pic1.JPG (64.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg turbo1b.JPG (87.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 04DodgeSRT-4#14.JPG (51.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg ProthaneRaceMMinserts.JPG (27.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg RSTB1.jpg (46.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Inactive User

pics are nice 71 rr!!! I want one of those so badly but its not in the cards for me right now. 2 many kids to feed. It looks like you are seling all your other toys by your signature. your garage is shrinking or what?
Old 03-23-2005, 04:51 AM
Inactive User

Thanks! I had sold the '87 Shelby Z first a few years ago. Next was the '88 Shelby Z, I had over $8,500+ in repairs throughout the years and got tired of putting money into it with nothing to show for it, no gains in performance just stock fixes, it was high mileage when I bought it. I sold it just over a year ago to my stepbrother and he has already had to repair it several times, the few things that I hadn't already replaced. I did want to keep it and convert it to RWD, gut it, roll cage it, tub it and throw a nicely built 440 in it, but I have a Roadrunner that needs some things taken care of and it is the most important. I sold the '99 R/T right after the '88 Shelby Z, I still owed the bank around $3,200 on it, but I sold it for around $5,500. This enabled me to get the SRT-4 and have a few $$$'s to put into it and that money is almost used up already. I originally had it all planned out to get the Stage 2 w/toys instead of the Stage 1, but missing some work because of my back had to use some of that money for bills.

My Roadrunner will be with me until I die, I wouldn't let it go for anything or any amount. I was waiting and hoping that DCX would build what I've been waiting sooo many years for, a 2 door coupe with a V8 (preferably a high powered big block), RWD and a manual transmission. The Charger R/T came out as a huge POS though and the only one getting the formula right was Ford with the new retro-styled Mustang GT, I might be driving one if they would have came out last year when I bought my SRT-4. I would hate to betray my Mopar or no car belief, but it is obvious that the true real Mopar is dead thanks to Dumler. I do love one of the last true Mopars, my SRT-4, it was a concept car before Dumler took over. The only other true Mopars that live on are the trucks and the Viper, but I cannot afford a Viper. I really do love my SRT-4, especially now that I got my Stage 1 in it, it makes a very nice improvement.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Inactive User

Oh i understand your reasons. I've had to part with toys to make room for a new one myself before. The 88 shelby z daytona was my first brand new car. I spent 2 yrs in germany watching small displacement motors cruise the autobahn at high speed. The daytona was an easy choice for me when i was coming back to the united states and i will always have a special spot for them. all that said , id love to own a srt 4 but im toyed out at the moment lol. no room. i owned a 71 road runner at age 17 myself and still waiting to get another one lol.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:17 AM
Inactive User

Me too, I will always have a special place for the Shelby Z's as well. There are a couple '71 Roadrunners for a good price in the current Auto Trader Muscle, Classic and Sports Cars book. I've been half tempted to get one of them with a credit card, not the smartest of ideas though. I'll stick with what I have for now, or at least until something comes along that's too good to pass up.