Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-04-2005, 04:12 AM
Inactive User

Default setting lifter preload

Hey All - I just bought some roller rockers to replace the standard rockers in my 360, and I was wondering what is the correct method of setting the lifter preload? I have a mopar 484 cam and hydraulic lifters, and I am unsure as to how far to wind down the adjustment screw so the lifters don't get damaged, or bend a pushrod. Any help is appreciated. Cheers, James.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:34 AM
Inactive User

Tighten the screw until there is no lash in the rocker, then add 1/2 turn and tighten the lock nut. You should have about 1-2 rounds of thread showing below the rocker arm when the adjustment is done. If you are looking for high rpm peak power, zero preload is often used for best results, but it requires maintenance that way. Otherwise the adjusting order is just the same as with solid cams. Find the firing TDC of the #1 cylinder, and adjust both valves, rotate crank 90 degrees and adjust 8 adn go in according to the firing order 18436572. Or you can adjust one cylinder at teh time if you rotate the engien with the starter; adjust intake valves when the exhaustvalve in that cylinder starts to open, and Exhaust valves when the intake valve of that cylinder closes.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Inactive User

So if I wound the screw all the way down so the lifter bottomed out, how many turns back should I make? I have heard all the way down then one full turn back, but this doesn't seem to give much room for the hydraulic lifter to work..? Cheers, James.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:25 AM
Inactive User

You don't wind it all the way down, you wind it until the plunger begins to compress. After that, 1/2 round more. That is the preload, the amount the plunger is pressed from the up position when the valves are closed and lifters on the base circle of the cam.