Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:50 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb The Ultimate Engine question!!!!

Hi everybody Im new to the boards so if I do anything wrong please dont light my ass up about it. LOL!

Anyways I own a 2000 Dodge Intrepid SE. My question is would it be possible to bolt one of the new HEMI V8 engines into my car? I got a crappy 2.7L V6 and as long as I have had this car I have found just about ZERO in the way of engine mods for this vehicle, so i figure screw it go for broke and slap a V8 in there if possible. Can ANYONE help me with this issue? I dont care too much about the cost or in the end making a FWD car a RWD one. Can anyone recommend an autoshop or individual who can do it? I have already been to the DodgeIntrepid.net site with this question and the only replies I seem to get is "Your Crazy!!" I really feel that Dodge dropped the ball with the potential of this vehicle.To all and everyone thanks for your time in answering this question.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Well there are some performance parts out there for it, your just not looking i nthe right place. As for putting a Hemi in it, it would have to be rear wheel drive. Even if it would bolt up to your stock tranny, that weak link would explode the first time you nailed the throttle half way down.

I've been looking for a good Intrepid body on the cheap. I'm not going the Hemi route, but I will be putting a 360 in it and making it rear wheel drive. It's not that hard to do. That platform was originally designed to be rear wheel drive till the germans messed it up. Send me a Pm, we might be able to do something like that in our race shop, but it wont be real cheap either.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Inactive User

I'm sure it can be done last year we put a 440 in a PT Cruiser
Old 04-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Inactive User

If you were looking to do the work yourself, I'm sure VR440 would be able to give you a good idea of what you'd need to do. As for a shop that would do it, your best bet would be a completely custom shop (DWC's race shop for example). A standard "body shop" would probably be very hard pressed to get a conversion like that done with any quality.
Just my $0.02.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Inactive User

A larger undertaking, no doubt.

I'm far from being an engineer, but I'd also be concerned about how the chassis would react.

If you ever do it...maybe make it a 426 Max Wedge. Not too many people would be expecting that!

If I ever win the lottery I'm going to take a late model Jaguar (X8 I think they're called), have someone swap in an entire Mopar drivetrain and put Challenger badges on it, tell Jag to bite me, and park it on DC's front steps with a note that reads something like, "We want something like this, build it and we'll buy it."

That'll show DC.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Inactive User

Heck, if a SVT mustang engine and RWD setup can be installed in a Focus for $75k, why not this!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Banned

Biggrin

At least this mod wont cost $75K.