Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-09-2005, 03:41 PM

Red face Mallory Hyfire V (5) anyone?

Scored one at Spring Fling but I am not sure what coil to use with this monster. This unit is as big as a lunch pail! Most of the coils listed in Mallory say "not for use on part no. blah blah, or any other high energy discharge type ignition system". The coil that came with it just is a chrome coil that says Mallory Super Duty Coil, no part number. It also came with a 3 stage retard box, noy bad for what I paid for it. Of course the part number 690 does not pull up in Mallorys installation download catalog, nor does Hyfire V or (5), but it is mentioned in a few other aftermarket coil pages which lump it in with the VII and X models. Mine is all anolog, not like the Hyfire V rev.2 that IS in the Mallory catalog that has digital rev limiter and remote control display. I can hook it up, no problem, but I kinda want to know the stats on it. Thanks. Saturdays swap was kinda week, lots of pull-a-part resellers with rusty sheetmetal, not alot of go fast parts. Maybe Sunday will be better, but Ill have to miss that one. I shined the car show part this year, too many nicer cars than mine! I met Don from FBO and saw his booth, He is as nice in person as he is on the board, cool cat! I should have bought his new mini CD coil while I was there...Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:51 PM

Is this what you are looking for?? http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...41&prmenbr=361
Old 04-09-2005, 06:57 PM

not really, see the fine print? I think it reads, "not for use with V VII or X". "works great with Mallory Unilite, Hyfire IV and original breakerless electronic systems" I wonder if I can use a blaster 2 or something that is made for CD. Although on the Mallory site, there is a coil that says for "all hyfire systems and stock replacement"..sounds kinda contradictory...I understand this V system can hang to 12,000 so it needs a coil that can do that too. Yeah, like Im ever gonna see 8 let alone 12K. Anyone got a PAW catalog that may show compatible coils for this?
Old 04-09-2005, 10:25 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Perhaps in this thread or at least this guy can help. http://www.moparchat.com/forums/show...ewpost&t=78238
Call mallory up.