Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Inactive User

Default Damn Orange Box

Over the weekend I had an intermittent no start condition.I immediatly suspected the ECU.I removed it and went to Auto Zone to get a new one and while there I had it tested.Their testing machine showed no problems with it so I turned to another component to check for trouble.I replaced the ballast resistor,coil,rewired the whole ignition all for naught.I finally got pissed and bought a new ECU anyway and what do you know,
Old 04-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Banned

Biggrin

i lost a bunch of power going from a chrome box to a orange box on my 440, enough reason to not use it for me
laways carry a axtra ecu, they are pretty common to fail
Old 04-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Weird, I only had 1 fail. Actually a brand new one. Returned it for another one. No problems.
Funny how you carry one in case it fails. I allways carried one incase my MSD failed. (It allways did.)

Well, at least your back up and running.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Orange boxes are well known for failure and they pull timming out on the top end too. FBO cna give you info on that one. The chrome box is much better, but nothing beats and msd. Never had an msd failure, yet.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:56 AM

My first 340 had a tempermental MSD, It would just quit about once a week. I believe it was heat related, because It would work the next day. I actually carried around a points distributor in the trunk, had them both index marked to the block and I could swap out the entire electronic setup in about 5 minutes. I was young and foolish...didnt know donuts about electronic ignitions. It was probably the pickup the whole time.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:31 PM

Out of 5 orange boxes, I had two back in the 80's that were rock solid for 5 years on two separate cars before i sold them, then I had three later on that were on and off again. Finally threw those three out. They would work just fine at first then begin not starting in the morning. On one car I ended up using a stock black one from a 340 car to replace the on-off orange box, it lasted a long time also, might still be going.

The aftermarket replaement boxes from Standard(?) and others seem to be OK, just not quite the dwell (not quite as hot of spark coaxed from the coil) as the orange box.

The MoPar Chrome box definitely makes a difference, noticeable power increase and better driveablility on hotter engines over the orange or aftermarket replacements. I am using it with the MSD BlasterII coil. Seems to be reliable, has not let me down yet in 2+ years, but that car sits for long periods of time before use.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:43 AM
Inactive User

Maybe I have just been lucky, but I have had no trouble with any of the MP ignition boxes. My cars have always run decently; had I converted in to a better ignition box would propably have made the cars so quick it would have been frightening.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:20 AM
Banned

for me, chrysler ignitions work on,"murphie's law".
keep a spare, and the box'll never fail, dont, and ill be walkin