Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Inactive User

Default Smokin'

Got a fairly new crate engine... Knocking all the bugs out of the car (oil leaks, new this and that, tighten all the rattles.. things of that nature)...

I noticed the car smoking... I thought it was oil on the headers... some of it was... but I have all the oil leaks fixed and still smokes.... white/grey/blue??? I had my wife follow me and she told me it was coming out of the pipes.

If you throttle the engine it will smoke... run back and smell it.. smells like raw fuel but that should be black right?? This is more white... I can't smell any antifreeze... and I don't think I smell oil.. but not sure.

It is very bad when I am under hard acceleration. I'm talking like the car looks like a jet leaving a trail. Get out of the throttle, it clears up. The plugs are black like it is rich.. (I want this engine to run a little fat). I don't see any grey or brown on any of them...

So..... is it fuel or are my rings upside down??? Any Ideas????
Old 04-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Inactive User

Could It Be The Fuel? Doesnt The States Up That Way Put Some Additive In The Fuel?? I Forget What It Is Called.. Are You Running 93? Or 87??
Old 04-11-2005, 04:31 PM

Biggrin

Maybe "fairly new" crate engine ought to be detailed a little more. How long has it been in service? Did you buy it new? Who assembled it? Any history on it? What engine is it? Any mods?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Inactive User

Fairly new... got it in 2000 still in crate... Just got it started late last fall...426 Hemi with about 10 hours on it, maybe less... already replaced the valves, springs, retainers, seals, and locks with a set from Ray Barton... Cometic Head Gaskets... 671 Littlefield Blower, running 2 775 Race Demons, MSD dist locked at 30 advance & a 6BTM, TTI Headers 2 1/4 primarys.

That's about it for mods.

I was running AV-gas but have started running 92 pump gas... absolutly no sign of detonation.. (not pushing it very hard)...

Any other info I can help you with???

I can't believe it is an additive problem... My wife has a 71 Mach 1 351 Cleveland Running the same fuel and it runs clean.

Again... Any Ideas???
Old 04-11-2005, 06:06 PM
Inactive User

Read the plugs... Check them all and see what's on them.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Inactive User

Default Found it

We figured it out tonight... it turned out to be oil... Bad intake gasket.. sucking oil up from underneith.

Didn't look blue to me until I had my brother drive the car and I followed and seen it from behind. I don't have a PCV valve and when you cover the breathers with your hands there is a vacume. There shoudn't be... I can't think of anything else it could be.

Now... I'm using MP gaskets, is there any real decent brand anyone would suggest??? I want good stuff this time. Thanks
Old 04-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Cometic Gaskets.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron
We figured it out tonight... it turned out to be oil... Bad intake gasket.. sucking oil up from underneith.

Didn't look blue to me until I had my brother drive the car and I followed and seen it from behind. I don't have a PCV valve and when you cover the breathers with your hands there is a vacume. There shoudn't be... I can't think of anything else it could be.

Now... I'm using MP gaskets, is there any real decent brand anyone would suggest??? I want good stuff this time. Thanks
Bigiron,
That made sense until I remembered this is a blower motor. If the intake gasket is leaking on the bottom(a fairly common problem) the blower will pressurize the crankcase instead of the crankcase drawing a vacuum. Not sure why there would be a vacuum at the PVC unless you're running a very small percentage of overdrive. As far as the gasket, the MP's are ok, I used the Mr. Gasket #303, when I was running the 16-bolt intake. Unfortunately you will find that the sorry little 1/4" intake bolts will not stay torqued no matter which gasket and you have to constantly check them, a true pain in the butt on some of the older style Cragar manifolds as the blower covered several of the intake bolts and you had to remove it to re-torque. Don't know what manifold you're using so that may not be an issue. Sorry, but I'm drawing a blank right now on any other ideas.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Inactive User

The engine is not under boost all the time... as a matter of fact, very seldom. I carry around 17 inches of vacume at idle. It will go under boost at a little over 1/4 throttle depending on what rpm you nail it at. On average around 1/2 throttle you start seeing boost steady.

I'm pretty sure it's intake gaskets... I purchased a couple of sets from Ray Barton... They have them "custom" made for them... whatever that's worth... they tell me their pretty high quality. They accually recomended these over the Cometic intakes.. (and I really like Cometic Head gaskets) so we'll see.

I'm running an old Crager intake on this thing.. the only old piece on it.. I'm going to have to get it checked... maybe someone in the past has had it cut to fit some milled heads ??? I have a Kieth Black mag manifold I have to dig up, that I know hasn't been cut.. but it's not as pretty... but for a test it should do for a while.

At any rate... thanks for the feedback...
Old 04-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Inactive User

If that's the case, and you have that much vacuum, I would have to agree that it's probably leaking on the bottom side of the intake gasket. Usually the culprit isn't the gaskets but those stinking skinny intake bolts, always need to be re-torqued 2-3-4 times after you get heat in the motor. Possible the manifold was cut to fit some milled heads but most blower motors havn't been much more than milled for straightness as they were usually 10.5 to 11.5 motors max on alky back in the day when the cragar manifold was widely used. Most of the heavily milled heads and blocks were either SS or M/Production pieces. How did the ports line up, if there was much mis-match on the bottom side, the manifold may well have been cut on. Don't know about the new crate motors but the intake bolt holes in the original heads wern't always drilled through and the bolts could bottom out about the same time as the intake snugged down so you would get a torque reading but not enough pressure to keep the gaskets in place. Not all the heads were like that but I have had a few sets through through the years that were. BTW where did you come up with your screen name, just curious.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Inactive User

what's the chance of using blue loc-tite on the intake bolts? maybe this would make it un-necessary for all those re-torks!?....just my 2 cents......djs
Old 04-13-2005, 11:09 PM
Inactive User

DJ, don't think it would hurt but it just seems like its always been somewhat of a problem on the 16 bolt manifold. Even the torque values and sequence in the old Mopar handbook was pretty oddball. Really made me appreciate when the 3/8ths 10-bolt heads came out.