Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-18-2005, 05:46 AM

Default 518 - 3 way female connector - HELP

Hi

I am trying to help a friend fit a 518 transmission where a 727 used to reside. We have hit a small problem (isn’t it always the way!) .........We don’t have and can't find a suitable 3 way female connector that will fit into the side of the transmission.

If we were in the USA we would just take a trip to the nearest junk yard ..... But we are in England!

Does anyone know what the part number of this little connector is? Once we get that number we may be able to order it from the local Chrysler/Jeep dealer.

A picture of the male transmission connector is attache
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 518 Plug.jpg (48.4 KB, 53 views)
Old 04-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Inactive User

hey didnt look at pic but are you talking about the reverse/neutral safety switch?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Tallent
hey didnt look at pic but are you talking about the reverse/neutral safety switch?
No the three way connector that controls the overdrive and the torque converter lock up.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:59 AM

Can anyone help? - This little connector is stoping the entire project.

Does anyone know which model/year this conector would have been used on? Once I know the model and year, I will once again try the the local (unhelpfull) Chrysler dealer.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Inactive User

I got an A518 lockup from a 94 dodge van (B250?) with 5.9 magnum. It has the same 3-pin connector you need. Hope this helps.

torch
Old 04-20-2005, 04:06 PM

Perhaps you could use individual butt splice connectors or bullet type female quick-disconnect connectors. If you could find a size that would fit over the terminal inside the housing on the tranny then you could make an extension harness of three wires and splice into the existing harness until you can find the correct connector. You could pinch the open ends a little to help it stay on the pins in the tranny.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Hope this site helps some

I'll call my local dealer and ask for part number for you.. and here is a site that might be of some help... http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm
Old 04-21-2005, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA360Dart
I'll call my local dealer and ask for part number for you.. and here is a site that might be of some help... http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm
Thank you for your kind offer to contact your local dealer for the part number ...... YES PLEASE!

My local dealer in the UK doesn’t want to know! Very unhelpful!

I have looked at your link and they also say "take a trip to the junk yard" - Oh to be in the USofA !

Thanks again
Old 04-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Inactive User

Default Connector You Need

What your looking out is a lock up solenoid for a 518 "lockup conv)that part number is 4883715ab.

The repair package is 5013933AA it has the right clocking and round pin conn.
The pack. will come with wiring, heatshrink, and terminals.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Inactive User

Default 904 3 pin connector

Hey, since Choper got taken care of, mind if I hijack this thread?

I also need a female 3-pin connector, but probably an easier one...

I need the 3 pin connector that plugs onto the reverse-neutral switch on a 904 (727 probably the same thing?) NAPA claims not to have this sort of thing.

I would be happy with a used one with at least 4 inches of wires; I would solder splice it to me wire harness and use heat shrink tubing.

The connector I have is in poor shape and loose on the switch.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:53 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckertt@epri.co
Hey, since Choper got taken care of, mind if I hijack this thread?

I also need a female 3-pin connector, but probably an easier one...

I need the 3 pin connector that plugs onto the reverse-neutral switch on a 904 (727 probably the same thing?) NAPA claims not to have this sort of thing.

I would be happy with a used one with at least 4 inches of wires; I would solder splice it to me wire harness and use heat shrink tubing.

The connector I have is in poor shape and loose on the switch.
You can go to to the nearest junk yard and cut that connector off the nearest chrysler vehicle.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909duster
What your looking out is a lock up solenoid for a 518 "lockup conv)that part number is 4883715ab.

The repair package is 5013933AA it has the right clocking and round pin conn.
The pack. will come with wiring, heatshrink, and terminals.

Hope that helps.

909duster - Thanks very much for those numbers, I will take a trip down to the dealer this afternoon.

From what you say it looks like 5013933AA may be the item I require - I just need the female three way plug.

I dont need a lock up servo so I guess I wont be needing 4883715ab.

Fingers crossed ........ Thanks again.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Inactive User

Default 904 switch

eckertt,

switch pigtail number 4209695
Old 04-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Inactive User

Default switch pigtail

thanks duster!

I assume this is a normal Mopar number (as opposed to a MP number?) and should I be able to go to the local dodge or chrysler house and just order this number??

Or is there a better "dealer" that I should order from perhaps using the web, that has discount prices, and the shipping just about cancels out the no tax if out of state?

Tim
Old 04-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Inactive User

thats the regular mopar service #. any Dodge,Jeep,Chrysler dealer should be able to order for you. it is rather pricey at $61.00 so you'll have to ask if your dealer will work with you.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:46 AM

Default Part Number Needed

Quote:
The repair package is 5013933AA it has the right clocking and round pin connector. The pack will come with wiring, heat shrink, and terminals. Hope that helps.
909duster and LA360Dart I still need your help!

It turns out that 5013933AA is the male part of the plug that is attached to the 518 transmission. I need the female plug that plugs into it, the connector that is attached to the cars wiring loom.

As I said before, if I was in the USA I would take a trip to the nearest junk yard ....... but I live in England and finding a junk yard with a vehicle fitted with a 518 has proved impossible!

CAN ANYONE HELP ME LOCATE THE CHRYSLER PART NUMBER FOR THE FEMALE CONECTOR?

A picture of the male connector (5013933AA) that is attached to the transmission can be found attached to my first post above.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Inactive User

Default connector

I have that connector in stock it is a female conn. repair pkg. I pluged it right in the the lock up sol. Did the part # match the picking tag or the manufactors tag on the part? I'll order myself a second one to see if I get a different part as well.

If this doesn't work order 56018034 this is the transmission wiring for a A518 lock transmission and it will have the right conn. on the end or wiring harness number 56005907 which is a lot cheaper.

Unless we've missed understood each other if you need the female part that is only part of the solenoid it self and not serviced. You must buy a 4833715aa.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Plug for A518

Hi Choper;

I've asked the admin to forward my e-mail to you.
If it doesn't rain in the morning, I'll make a trip to
the local dismantler and nab one or two for you. Then
get it mailed to you...

Denny
Old 04-28-2005, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA360Dart
I've asked the admin to forward my e-mail to you. If it doesn't rain in the morning, I'll make a trip to the local dismantler and nab one or two for you. Then get it mailed to you ... Denny
Denny / LA360Dart

That really is very kind of you - I will of course reimburse you for any out of pocket expenses. Unfortunately no email has arrived. I can be reached via jacb(at)bigfoot.com.

Thanks again.

PS I bet the plug has a number on it when I get the thing in my hand!
Old 04-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Inactive User

No Chopper, it won't have a number on it. At least not a Chrysler number. I had to track one of these down last year. The only place they come from the dealer as far as I know is with an Overdrive transmission bought from Mopar Performance.

I could not find one in my wreckers, very popular item. I had to cut one out of a bad wiring harness my dealer had on hand. You will need someone to get one at the wrecker. If you don't get one by Monday, I will go to my dealer and root through his collection for you. I actually have one hanging in my garage, but would rather not cut that harness up. BTW it is a 3 pin Deutz??? style connector. It also comes with some trailer wiring packages, same connector on the rear wiring of early 90's pickups.

So I will check back on the weekend and make some time Monday if necessary.

One more thing, many of these connectors look alike, the one you want is three pin female, black with a red ring around it.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Inactive User

Default conn

Choper,

If you need the white(female) connector that protudes out the trans case it is molded to the harness of the lock up solenoid, Mopar doesn't service it by itself. You will need to buy the lock up valve.

I guess if you get a used one you could solder in the connector.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Inactive User

Choper,
You may also want to look at other automotive connectors... not sure how common they are across the pond, but that looks like any number of the little "weatherpak" connectors that are used all over the engine compartment. Might find something similar enough to work on one of the various sensors that has a similar end. Just have to make sure it's set up for the round pins like the trans has. Poke around here to see if you can find what you're looking for: http://www.waytekwire.com/

Clair
Old 04-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Inactive User

Default Swap

BTW, I did this swap. I didn't see in your post, but your friend should use the tourque converter that came with the 518. I didn't because the transmission I used was donated from a 318 truck, so I used the original 360 tourque converter, both are non-lock up. Well, make a long story short, the decrease in RPM is only 300-500 at best due to limitations in the old converter. I also have a 1991 truck with this trans and a 318, RPM change is 600-900. If I had to do this again, and I will fix this, I would buy a newer tourque converter, or weld the balance weights on the 318 converter, or buy an aftermarket flex plate with the weights already on it.

P.S. I can scan in the wiring diagram for this hookup. I have it in my Mopar chassis manual. If you don't have a copy let me know. This circuit is always energized, and ground is given and taken to engage and disengage.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mills
No Chopper, it won't have a number on it. At least not a Chrysler number.

If you don't get one by Monday, I will go to my dealer and root through his collection for you. I actually have one hanging in my garage, but would rather not cut that harness up. BTW it is a 3 pin Deutz??? style connector.

So I will check back on the weekend and make some time Monday if necessary.

One more thing, many of these connectors look alike, the one you want is three pin female, black with a red ring around it.
Thanks Brian

Shame about the lack of a Chrysler part number - But then again, that would have been too easy! A company called Deutz has a web site with the following details:

DEUTZ UK LTD
2 St. Martins Way
SW17 OUT London
Great Britain

Country code: ++44 (0) 20 8781 7200 (Switchboard)

Same company? ..... Anyones guess !

I would be very greatfull if could have a look to see if there are any available conectors of the correct type.

Thanks again
Old 05-02-2005, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Choper,

If you need the white(female) connector that protudes out the trans case it is molded to the harness of the lock up solenoid, Mopar doesn't service it by itself. You will need to buy the lock up valve.

I guess if you get a used one you could solder in the connector.
Hi 909duster

No I dont need the fixed part - I need the female plug that is attached to the cars wiring harness.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clair
Choper,
You may also want to look at other automotive connectors... not sure how common they are across the pond, but that looks like any number of the little "weatherpak" connectors that are used all over the engine compartment. Might find something similar enough to work on one of the various sensors that has a similar end. Just have to make sure it's set up for the round pins like the trans has. Poke around here to see if you can find what you're looking for: http://www.waytekwire.com/

Clair
Thanks Clair

I will look at your site but I am not hopefull ..... I have spent quite a lot of time looking for this item. I beleive that there are various types that Chrysler used!

Thanks anyway - Fingers crossed.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mills
BTW, I did this swap. I didn't see in your post, but your friend should use the tourque converter that came with the 518. I didn't because the transmission I used was donated from a 318 truck, so I used the original 360 tourque converter, both are non-lock up. Well, make a long story short, the decrease in RPM is only 300-500 at best due to limitations in the old converter. I also have a 1991 truck with this trans and a 318, RPM change is 600-900. If I had to do this again, and I will fix this, I would buy a newer tourque converter, or weld the balance weights on the 318 converter, or buy an aftermarket flex plate with the weights already on it.

P.S. I can scan in the wiring diagram for this hookup. I have it in my Mopar chassis manual. If you don't have a copy let me know. This circuit is always energized, and ground is given and taken to engage and disengage.

Thanks Brian

We plan to use the lockup converter from the 518 to start with. Thank you for your kind offer of a wiring diagram but we wont take you up on it at the moment. We will use the system found at http://www.transmissioncenter.net/alto_3.htm to control the transmission etc.

Thanks again
Old 05-02-2005, 04:06 AM

Quote:
I have that connector in stock it is a female conn. repair pkg. I pluged it right in the the lock up sol. Did the part # match the picking tag or the manufactors tag on the part? I'll order myself a second one to see if I get a different part as well.

If this doesn't work order 56018034 this is the transmission wiring for a A518 lock transmission and it will have the right conn. on the end or wiring harness number 56005907 which is a lot cheaper.

Unless we've missed understood each other if you need the female part that is only part of the solenoid it self and not serviced. You must buy a 4833715aa.
Hi 909duster

I am getting a little confused - possibly by terminology.

What I need is the three pin plug with female pins that controls the overdrive and lock up features of a 518 transmission. I need the connector that is attached to the cars wiring harness. The part I need would stay with the car if the transmission was removed.

Which of your various part numbers would give me this item at the least cost?

Thanks for your help in this matter.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Inactive User

Default Terminolgy

Choper,

When one removes the transmission from the car; is it the hood or the bonnet that must be opened first?

(Sorry for being a smart A**.)

I feel your pain, If I were working on an Austin Healy Bug-Eye Sprite and had joined an A-H chat room, I would certaintly expect that someone in GB could give me a part number for a connector.

Or, since the connector is actually part of a $600 wiring harness (that belongs to the car) the connector does NOT really have its own part number?

Of course, if you were working in the factory that builds wiring harnesses, then this connector would have a part number.

Tim
Old 05-02-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Choper

Hi Choper;

just sent you e-mail, pigtail will be on it's way to you. I'll get it mailed to you in morning. your address is diffrent looking than anything I've seen...

Denny