Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Power Adders

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Inactive User

rolleyes2 Blower help needed!

Hello!
I've been lurking around here a little lately, and Thought I'd post My first question to the "People in the Know".

I recently came into the possession of a 8/71 blower from a person that had owed me money, but was unable to pay. It is in good shape, and was rebuilt before being put on a shelf.

I am here to ask is there a "Standard" size for these things, as far as drive snouts & pulley bolt patterns? I mean, is the bolt pattern the same from one brand to another, or is each different?

The reason I ask, is that this blower is from a Detroit diesel truck motor.
And as near as I can tell, it is a standard sized 8/71, or as near as I can see from what I've seen on line at the various blower stores.

I know that the "Original" racers used to use these, before blower companies offered "Street ready" ones for sale. Do any of you have any info on this stuff????

I've already got the intake figured out(I think!), but I need to know about the drive pulley, and/or snout. Can I just buy one from anywhere, or do I need one just for this type?

Thanks for any info!!

Tall Shadow
Old 04-19-2005, 02:48 AM
Inactive User

I would not recommend using that blower. They will not live long at the RPM you would use it at. A Detroit diesel only runs up to 2200 RPM or so. The end plates that hold the rotor bearings is not strong enough to withstand much more than that. Also, the rotors are not attached well enough to thier shafts for high RPM use. I'm sorry to say, but that blower is not worth much more than the core value to you.

torch
Old 04-19-2005, 07:30 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Depends on how it was rebuilt. You can pin the rotors to the shafts and the drive plates can be swapped for better ones.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Inactive User

Default 8-71 or 6V92?

The 6-71 and 8-71s are off the inline 6 diesel and mounted on the side. The 6v92 style is on top and is common on V6 and V8 diesels found in a lot of the big busses. If this is the 8-71 style blower you would be far better off selling the core to BDS and buy a kit. www.blowerdriveservice.com
The parts to buy to change it over cost more than the kit when you trade in the core.

Take 3 or 4 pictures of it a post it on the site and I can tell you what it is.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43
Depends on how it was rebuilt. You can pin the rotors to the shafts and the drive plates can be swapped for better ones.
Tallshadow's post makes me think that he has a stock Detroit blower, hence my advice. In that case, I think he would be better off getting one that's already made for a gasser. The Detroit blower has weak end plates, no teflon strips on the rotors, and even if you pin the shafts, they are still hollow. I don't know if they are beefy enough to handle the RPM (the shafts).

On a side note, I have seen guys at swap meets trying to peddle of 6V and 8V blowers to people that don't know that there isn't a manifold to put those on a gas V8.

torch
Old 04-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting torch
Tallshadow's post makes me think that he has a stock Detroit blower, hence my advice. In that case, I think he would be better off getting one that's already made for a gasser. The Detroit blower has weak end plates, no teflon strips on the rotors, and even if you pin the shafts, they are still hollow. I don't know if they are beefy enough to handle the RPM (the shafts).

On a side note, I have seen guys at swap meets trying to peddle of 6V and 8V blowers to people that don't know that there isn't a manifold to put those on a gas V8.

torch
YEah, and like BDS said, it's probably not worth the cost either to swap over either. Yeah, there's always someone at some swap meet somewhere trying to stick it to someone. I saw two Challengers and the guy was trying to pass them off as R/T's. One had a stock dash with a 318 engine code stamped on it and I don't remeber what was wrong with the other one. Both fake. I was talking loud enough to my brother pointing out every flaw in them and I hope that was the owner standing behind me listening in.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Inactive User

Twice I have seen someone trying to unload a 6V blower. Both times the potential buyer was a kid with a gleam in his eye, and a wad of cash burning a hole in his pocket. Both times I stepped in and enlightened him. One seller had the deer in the headlights look, the other was very pissed, and called me a liar.

torch
Old 04-19-2005, 03:39 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the replies guys,
I'm at work now, but will try to take & post some pictures later on, So you all can see what is sitting on My bench.

As for the end plates, well from what I've looked at, I'd say they are either very heavy cast aluminum or cast Iron.

I think it has some type of governor linkage on the back end of the unit.

I have not done much "looking over" on this thing, as I've been quite busy with work and kids. So I'm not sure as to it's usability. I mostly took it to ease the mind of a long time friend. He has been out of work, and hated to be in debt to me, even though I had said not to worry about repaying me....

If it's usable...Cool, If Not...It's still a debt off of his mind....

Pics!!!

http://tinypic.com/4jlt15

http://tinypic.com/4jlue8

Thanks!
Tall Shadow
Old 04-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Inactive User

Bummer.....8V71. Not much use to you. You could put it on E-bay. Someone could need it for thier Detroit.

torch
Old 04-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Inactive User

Default 8v92

[QUOTE=Tall Shadow]Thanks for the replies guys,
I'm at work now, but will try to take & post some pictures later on, So you all can see what is sitting on My bench.

As for the end plates, well from what I've looked at, I'd say they are either very heavy cast aluminum or cast Iron.

I think it has some type of governor linkage on the back end of the unit.

I have not done much "looking over" on this thing, as I've been quite busy with work and kids. So I'm not sure as to it's usability. I mostly took it to ease the mind of a long time friend. He has been out of work, and hated to be in debt to me, even though I had said not to worry about repaying me....

If it's usable...Cool, If Not...It's still a debt off of his mind....

Sorry to say it but Blower Drive Service does't use this style of blower case. The 8V92 looks in real good shape. Try and sell it to a truck or diesel shop.
I worked for a bus shop 15 years ago and back then the 6V92 rebuild was $400 to $500.

We took a used 6v92 and made an air compresser with the power of a 65 horse Ford industrial motor. The 2 tanks are old CO2 tanks and are 1 inch thick and hold 80 gallons. It takes only 15 seconds to go from 100psi to 175ps