Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:16 AM
Banned

Question backwards cam

heres a question, i was in sweptline, and someone brought this up, i forgot all about it.
-3 and -4 b's and RB's had a gear drive, except it was teh big one, with only two gears, so the cam spun backwards (like a corn binder)
could i do this to a normal motor? it would be a lot more efficient than the aftermarket gear drives we get. just a thought
Old 04-19-2005, 12:33 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Pass on gear drives all together. They rob a lot of HP and they introduce some bad harmonics to the cam. That's why back in the early '80's NASCAR racers were breaking cams left and right. When they went to the belt drive that stopped. Now they use a larger cam and needle bearings in the 60 MM range.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:46 AM
Banned

HMMM, this motor broke a cam.....................i think you are on to something.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:52 AM
Inactive User

Actually the gear drive without an idler would be great. At least until you have to adjust the lash. Nascar engines may have had problems with gear drive harmonics, but I have used them for over a decade in a relatively low rpm engine (street & strip, never above 7500) and have not much bad things to say about them. Especially the single idler units, like Milodon. My only problem with them was the noice, that's why I finally converted to a belt drive. Did not notice any power gain.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:33 AM
Inactive User

The theory of a timing gear is a good idea, but the lack of time spent engineering makes them a little weary. If someone engineered a beveled gear that was QUIET and didn't eat shafts, I'd own a set for every four wheels parked outside and inside of my garage.

I hate pulling up to 454's that have timing gears... You don't know if you should take the bastard on or if the car is packing a supercharger. I think a timing gear in a driver would make me go insane after about 4 months. Kind of like a sub-lime green paint job... You're like Whoa! That's cool!... Then about a month later, you're driving to the burger joint and you PUKE INTO YOUR CENTER CONSOLE from repeated exposure.

If someone had even a 70,000 mile gauranteed gear, I'd buy in, but That's yet to happen.

I think that the reverse geared setup would work. It did before, but I think you would have a hard time finding a camshaft cut for it.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:19 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetkboy78
HMMM, this motor broke a cam.....................i think you are on to something.
Yep, broke camshafts and major HP loss. Even though you can get bevel cut gears for quieter operation they still wear out quickly. You also have to have a cam button or something to limit cam movement as well. More cost there. Best thing to use is a double roller until you get to a certain level and then use the belt drive.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Banned

the great thing about these engines, and international engines, is they gear lets teh motor go fo ever. this 361 has over 400,000 miles on it, and hadnt been touhced till th ecam, and only the cam.
our international loadstar has 500,000 something miles on it, and just got rebuilt a few years ago. cam gear was perfect.
but, i can see how a gear would break the cam, good point dwc
Old 04-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Banned

Biggrin

THank you, thank ya very much ... LOL!!