Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:22 AM
Inactive User

Default Neon's Going Away

I've heard the Neon is being replaced with a "Wagon" based off of the Mitsubishi Lancer. Why is it that people seem so happy to see the little car go?
Old 04-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Banned

Biggrin

I aint happy to see it go. I have a pic of the replacement. I'll try to post it latter tonight. Then you can be the judge.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Inactive User

Other than the most recent crash tests, I don't normally hear bad things about it, what is it that peope don't like about it, was it that it wasn't a Japanese car?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Banned

Biggrin

I have no clue. This article states Mopar will begin construction in 2006 at it's Sterling Heighs,Mi. plant to make way for the D platform. The plant will have flexablility to build both C and D segment vehicles with a maximum of 5 variants down the same lines and body shop lines. Plans to invest $506 million an add 500 jobs.

Mopar says $278 million to overhaul the body shop and paint shops to make way for replacements for outgoin Sebring and Stratus and convert. Since the C and D segments will come from the same platforms, then Sterling Heighs could also build smal cars such as the Dodge Caliber that replaces the neon. The plant will also provide Chrysler,Dodge, and Jeep.

THat's all it says and it shows a pic of the new Caliber. I'll post that latter incase no one has seen it yet. Looks like a small wagon to me with a large mini van grill.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Looks like a small wagon to me with a large mini van grill.

Too bad they can't do it along the lines if the P and H bodies (the H-Body moreso), with a non truck like nose. Have you heard what's going to happen to the Belevdere, IL plant, since the Neon is currently being made there?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Banned

Biggrin

I have not heard a thing about that plant.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Inactive User

They are getting rid of the current platform to make way for bigger, better, inexpensive options.

Remember the good old days with the Eagle Talon and the Eclipse same platform almost same motor tons of options and 12's with little money spent.

It looks like they are trying to go back to that. By sharing a platform with the evo cost will be down for both companies and we might get an awd option for the new SRT-4.

I think it looks like crap and I am glad I bought mine when I did, but I can't deny what nice changes may be rolling out due to the merger
Old 04-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Wait til I get the pic posted latter tonight and you might change your mind about that ... LOL!!
Old 04-19-2005, 01:01 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43
Wait til I get the pic posted latter tonight and you might change your mind about that ... LOL!!
Allow myself to quote....myself "I think it looks like crap and I am glad I bought mine when I did"
Old 04-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Inactive User

Here is a link to a few pictures. The picture of the Evo will probably be what the new SRT-4 will look like but with crosshairs

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...ght=2006+SRT-4
Old 04-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Banned

Biggrin

I found a pic online. This is whats posted above it. The Dodge Caliber: Neon-replacement-based mini-SUV. The signature crosshair grille gives Caliber the distinct face of Dodge and defines its strong, muscular front view. Wide, sculpted wheel forms, impressive 19-inch wheels and tires, broad shoulders and bulging hood give Caliber its proud, powerful stance. Large, crystal headlamps and fog lights complement the chrome grille and create an integrated look that completes Caliber's modular appearance.

A black graphic appliqué runs the length of the roof and melds into an integrated spoiler, creating a coupe-like quality from the side view. Dodge’s “do more” philosophy is evident in Caliber's five doors, including a rear hatch, which provide easy access to the vehicle’s spacious interior.

New and unique glass-to-body proportions give the Caliber concept a tough, protective presence. The forward sweep of the tailgate emphasizes Caliber's sporty profile. Chrome door handles and body-side moldings add a sense of style and polish that completes Caliber's machined exterior.

The rear view of the Dodge Caliber is as distinctive and powerful as the front grille. The black roof spoiler with center high-mounted stop lamp, the chrome exhaust tail pipe, and large, modular crystal taillamps that fill Caliber's rear corners provide distinct focal points of Caliber's design
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dodge-caliber.jpg (15.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg caliber-rear.jpg (19.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Banned

chryslers really starting to piss me off. htey dont know when to quit, and that is the most ugly thing i have seen chrysler come out with, or should i say,"mistubishi come out with".
what the hell? at least they could give us a mercedes or something, dammit.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Inactive User

EEEeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

torch
Old 04-19-2005, 09:22 PM

Interesting, they are cancelling the PT Cruiser and Neon, then are replacing it with a vehicle that looks like a PT and Neon spliced together with a Dodge truck nose!!
I liked the classic Neon and I think they are goofing up by killing off the name, but on the other hand, it's been common knowledge that the manufacturer's make more money on the higher end vehicles.
Is this new Caliber going to be in the same price range as the Neon, if not, then they've basically given away the economy field. Or will they start marketing that Swatch-Smart car thingamajig as their entry level vehicle?
I think DC has made some good moves the past few years, but I'm not so sure about killing off the Neon. Sorry to see the lil car go, it's served Mopar well and has a lot of fans.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:24 PM

Biggrin

Stoga, it is for certain they are dumping the PT? Damn, I was planning on buying one in a few months.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Stoga, it is for certain they are dumping the PT? Damn, I was planning on buying one in a few months.
I'd heard talk on another site, and they sounded pretty sincere. But I'll have to get back to you to verify for sure. Word was 06-07 would be the end of them, and seeing they share some things with the Neon, it would kind of make sense if they both disappear at the same time. But, it is only rumor until I can verify it, Sorry I spoke I bit too soon.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:55 PM

Ok, word is the PT will move to another platform a few years after the Caliber is released.
http://www.allpar.com/model/upcoming.html
So there's going to be at least a few more years of PT production, it would seem.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Inactive User

Wow, thats ugly, and then they're diluting the Jeep name even more by making one on that platform I think hey need somebody to straighten those guys out up there.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Inactive User

Calibre makes me think of Cobalt. GM's little car has
pretty decent reviews, it is hard to style a smaller car
to appear unique and be attractive. Some do OK:
PT Cruiser, Mini Cooper, Mustang.

The Koreans are impacting the low end, Mopar has to
build a platform which can stand to make money when
well optioned as a people mover for young families.
Single young men who don't buy Japanese are going
to go heavily for the Mustang (plenty of young
women have long favored the Mustang). A small-SUV
ought to appear to young men.

I don't like the current split grill theme on the new Mopars,
although I like the upright face, I don't know that the
frontal theme is right for Mopar. I think the split grill is
a little too conservative, doesn't look like a Dodge,
looks too much like a Caravan. A family identity is
good, but let the overall styling speak for itself. A
Jeep doesn't look like a Dodge, a small Dodge does
not have to look like a big Dodge.

Good to hear that the 2.4 will continue with improvements.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Inactive User

It looks like a Vibe. Woo hoo! :flip:

Musta used the same CAD program. Yuk.

Makes me love the Duster even more.

Jay
Old 05-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Inactive User

Good lord, that thing is ugly, what the heck are they thinking. Next year is going to be a good year for the last of the neons though, word through the local dodge dealer is that there will be a 300+ hp version of the SRT4 out next year. They are also going to be putting out a hopped up stratus r/t next year, which is the last year for the stratus too.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Inactive User

My first car was one of them 1995 Neons. They were pretty fast for a 4 cylinder, yet still had decent gas mileage.

Here is a question I have always wondered about the old style neons: were they successors to the Dodge Shadow, which I loved, especially the Plymouth variation.

I never did like the newer style Neons.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Import Eater
Here is a question I have always wondered about the old style neons: were they successors to the Dodge Shadow, which I loved, especially the Plymouth variation.
Successors, but not direct descendents. Most of the older Mopar 4 banger fwd's had the 2.2-2.5 engine, while the Neon and later derivatives had the sohc and dohc 2.0s.
Sebring and a few others were Mitsubishi, and you could also get the Mitsu in several of the K car ancestors as well. I won a few bets with people pointing out that if we found a dead K-car that wasnt wrecked, it'd have a Mitsu engine in it,lol!
Old 05-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Inactive User

I agree, and want to make a bet that a new hall effect or timing belt is all you'd need to get it running again.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoga
Successors, but not direct descendents. Most of the older Mopar 4 banger fwd's had the 2.2-2.5 engine, while the Neon and later derivatives had the sohc and dohc 2.0s.
Sebring and a few others were Mitsubishi, and you could also get the Mitsu in several of the K car ancestors as well. I won a few bets with people pointing out that if we found a dead K-car that wasnt wrecked, it'd have a Mitsu engine in it,lol!

With the shadows I thought that the 3.0s were made by Mistubishi while the 4 bangers were made by Chrysler; am I wrong?
Old 05-15-2005, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Import Eater
With the shadows I thought that the 3.0s were made by Mistubishi while the 4 bangers were made by Chrysler; am I wrong?
The 2.6. liter 4 banger was a Mitsubishi, used mostly in K cars and minivans.
You are correct on the 3.0s, they are Mitsu as well.