Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Inactive User

Question Torker II

OK all my Mopar brothers please forgive my ignorance, but I desparately need some advice. I am rebuilding/assemblying my 440. Now, I have done much research and have some mechanical skills but after about 18 months today I suddenly got in a hurry and now I am having doubts about what I have done. I installed the intake today (Torker II) and I read that if the heat crossover is blocked it can actually be better for overall performance, the trade off being it takes longer to warm up of course. I know Fel-Pro makes and intake pan that blocks this passage but I already have a valley pan (with heat crossover hole) and I figured why not save $20?? So this is what I decided to do while my sealant was getting nice and tacky. I carefully cut out a piece of emery cloth, about 1 1/2" x 3" and covered the passage on the head. Then I set on the intake and carefully torqued it down to 50 ft pounds. Actually, quite proud of my little modification. Then as the day went on I began to wonder "How long will that last?..Will it just burn up?...Could it possibly get sucked down through an exhast valve? am I an idiot?..My father certainly thought so when I called him to ask his opinion. ....Please help and Thank god I will most likely never meet anyone reading this.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Inactive User

It will definitely burn up. Other than a brief longevity I doubt it will harm anything. A thin piece of stainless is the preferred method after the blocked valley pan.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:49 AM
Inactive User

A sheet of stainless should work for a while. I have made a plug out of aluminum that fit in to teh holes and hammered it there, that works forever.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Inactive User

Thanks guys. I took it all off and cut some squares out of the old pan. It worked great and I feel much better.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:49 PM

I didn't think that the Torker II had the crossover passages. Most performance intakes don't have the crossover passage. That being the case, if the intake does NOT have the passage, then there is no need to block it at the gasket, as it is already blocked.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Inactive User

Thanks ED. But it does have the crossover. I was surprised that it did too. Thats why I wanted to block it.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:43 PM

My bad. It's been too long since I last looked at a Torker II intake. It must be there so they can get a C.A.R.B. certification.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Inactive User

My experience with blocking this passage off.
If you drive the car in temps under 60 degrees or so,the engine will run terrible at part throttle,due to the fuel not atomizing right,and puddling up.Wide open is better than if you had the heat passage not blocked.One thing I found cat remember where,was a block off with 1/4 inch holes in it.That worked well for part throttle ,and didnt take away from high end.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:34 AM
Inactive User

I have driven through winters (and you can consider them cold here) with the crossover blocked, it was no big deal. Mine was blocked with a very thin stainless sheet, it burned through in three years. Same will most likely happen to the piece cut out of a stock pan too, it will not last forever. Of course if you have a stock style choke in use in your carb, you need the quicker manifold heating.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Inactive User

I would be suprised if you noticed any difference in blocking it and not blocking it.

Its a street car right?

I have never done back to back test on the strip, but I bet the performance drop is minimal.