Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:09 PM

Default tips on removing a stripped head bolt?

i stripped a head bolt on my 360, #10 in tightening sequence on drivers side head. any ideas on how to get it out? anybody ever try that gator grip thing that they sell at sears?
Old 05-15-2005, 11:04 PM

Ok, I'm a lil unclear on just what happened. Did you strip or cross thread the bolt into the deck, or is the head of the bolt tore up too much for the socket to fit?
I havent tried the gator grip thingy, but a good old fashioned pipe wrench has gotten me out of a bind or two.....IF it'll fit into place.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:26 PM

tack weld a oversized nut on the end. Space may be tight.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoga
Ok, I'm a lil unclear on just what happened. Did you strip or cross thread the bolt into the deck, or is the head of the bolt tore up too much for the socket to fit?
I havent tried the gator grip thingy, but a good old fashioned pipe wrench has gotten me out of a bind or two.....IF it'll fit into place.

The head of the bolt has been stripped. Its not too bad, theres still some bite on it but once pressure is applied, it slips.

i dont have a welder either.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Inactive User

Sears sells removers for stripped bolt heads and they're not too expensive. I've got some but have yet to use them so I can't say how well they work. They have teeth that bite into the bolt head. As you turn it backwards they tighten up. The more you twist the harder they bite in. Basically like a outside EZ out.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chache876
The head of the bolt has been stripped. Its not too bad, theres still some bite on it but once pressure is applied, it slips.

i dont have a welder either.
Ok, one trick I have used is to take a small chisel, not too sharp but sharp enough to dig in and tap the bolt until it rotates.
Also, if you havent broken the bolt loose any at all, give it a sharp whack with a hammer to shock it, and help loosen it from being set in the threads.
Take your time, protect against getting chips down in the engine, and if you can't get it to come loose, you may have to follow pishta's suggestion and get a welder and tack another nut on the top of it, good luck!
This kind of stuff is no fun!!
Old 05-16-2005, 07:51 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by racintracy
Sears sells removers for stripped bolt heads and they're not too expensive. I've got some but have yet to use them so I can't say how well they work. They have teeth that bite into the bolt head. As you turn it backwards they tighten up. The more you twist the harder they bite in. Basically like a outside EZ out.
I have a set of those. They don't work too good on soft bolts. Just chews them up even more. Might work on a head bolt though.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:24 PM

UPDATE! Just went to sears and bought the gator grip. Worked like a charm! had that sucker off in a second. Now, does anybody have a spare head bolt????
Old 05-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Inactive User

i bought a set of twist sockets from mac tools about a year ago...gotta tell ya, they were worth every penny. i dont remember what i paid(i think it was around 60 bucks) but they have paid for themselves in short order