Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Inactive User

Default Mopar Muscle Mag 600hp 440

Did Mopar Muscle Magazine ever get the 600hp that they where looking for out of the 440?
I am currentaly building up one for my Road Runner and I would love 600hp
if I could get it.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Inactive User

Normally aspirated??
It can be done with the right pick of parts, it just wont happen by accident. Or at least a pump gas streetable wont. Tell us more on what you want to do with the car. I would be looking into a Indy head engine maybe a full port SR or EZ head. I would aim for a 11:1 compression, a custom solid cam preferably a solid roller sorry no Hyd flattappet. I would use a Domiantor carb a good set of headers at least 2 inch. A run down on my engine is follows:

493 11.75:1 and does run on pump gas.
Eagle 4.15 crank H beam rods
Ross pistons .005 in the hole
MSD Pro dist advance locked to 36 deg total
Indy440-1 Pro Mod port job
Indy single plan intake and 8896 domiantor
I run a Custom Comp solid cam from Dwayne Porter "PRH"
Indy 1.6 Rockers and 928 comp springs. cam specs as follows
tight lash 268/274@50 with .400/.408 lobe lift ground on 110 installed at 104 ICL
The car runs cool idle pretty good, and pulls my 69 B body well with 4.30 and T/A 8 inch conevter with 2-2 1/8 Indy TTI stepped headers. It should make 675 horses or so.

Of coarse a 440 engine being less cubes will give up some torque and hP but still should make 600HP. Without spinning the daylights out of it, again the 440-1's on my enigne maybe on the big size of port cross section area for 440 cubes.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:00 AM

I know that they did make the horsepower estimates. Of course we all know that the complete article had already been written, before they posed the question...

I will have to see if I can find the two issues that it was printed in. As I recall, they didn't use your average parts. They used parts from other articles. Like heavily machined heads and intake.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:20 AM
Inactive User

I remember the articles in the mag but I have not actually seen the power figures for the motor yet.
There is a guy in Bellville, Ontario, Canada who is building up my 440.
His name is Don Dulmage if you like you can check him out on ebay he has a book on the subject and I think a DVD too.(sorry about the cheep plug)
the combo he suggests for power without breaking the bank is.
440 with 30 over.
he likes the Edelbrock CH28 2x4's
928 comp cams valve springs
Racer Brown STX 20 cam
forged 6-pack pistons
and the head from my motor is a 213 (motorhome 440)
Right now he is working on porting the heads and using the bigger valves 2.14/1.81
I am working on the body first so I will not have the motor running for a year or two depending on my budget. (and the kids)
Don figures he can get 600 with that combo, I will post when I know.
Thank you for the combo, sure is "parts for thought".
Old 05-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Inactive User

Well,
I have no idea what parts they used on the magazine engine.
But I would be willing to bet a cold beer that you will not get 600 hp on the street with steel heads. That is normally aspirated of course.

By on the street I mean running pump gas.

Never heard of this Don guy, maybe he can maybe he cant. 600hp from those heads seems like a stretch. Your gaining 210 hp by cam and intake swap, and head swap? Im guessing 525 or so.

Although with a "happy" dyno anything can happen.

Now I know these HP calculators arent exact. But here is what I got from the following combination.

446 cid
13.8:1 CR
452 heads, 2.14/1.81 valves, mild port work
636 lift roller cam
alky injected

ET Method: approx. 582 HP

Now a real set of heads, and a cam that could flow enough for it should jump that number up a bit.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:57 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wile
he likes the Edelbrock CH28 2x4's
928 comp cams valve springs
Racer Brown STX 20 cam
forged 6-pack pistons
and the head from my motor is a 213 (motorhome 440)
Right now he is working on porting the heads and using the bigger valves 2.14/1.81
I am working on the body first so I will not have the motor running for a year or two depending on my budget. (and the kids)
Don figures he can get 600 with that combo, I will post when I know.
Thank you for the combo, sure is "parts for thought".
Forget the 6 pack rods, they will cost you power, and not as strong as Ly's, which I would run over them any time, H beam rods would be the way to go. Also If your really want to make as much as possiable forget the 2x4 intake, go with a Tunnel Ram setup, wont cost you any more money and will net way more power, but mostly torque. IMO It will take a expert porter to do the heads correctly, and make that power, not some guy grinding away iron on them, this is a perfect example of "bigger isnt alwasy better" If your running a cast iron head a 452 or 906 would be the only choice. How much are going to spend on a port job, and rebuild on the old used heads? I bet a set of eddy's will be more cost effective, and a Indy EZ head kit wont be much more. The heads is whats going to get you to the 600 mark, sorry I dont think it will honestly make the power as the machinest is claiming.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:13 AM
Inactive User

thanks for the tips, the 440 motor home motor came with LY rods.
I plan to keep the Road Runner as close to stock appearing as possable so the tunnel ram might be a bit to high to fit under the hood all though it will be a 6 bbl hood so who knows.
Don Dulmage is one of the few guys in Canada to "correctly" port heads if any one knows if the are others in Canada please let me know I would like to check them out.
The original intent for the car/motor is to get in to the 11's and I know this combo will do it.
That is not to say that a tunnel ram is not in the picture.

Cheers
Old 05-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Inactive User

im looking at an old (1997) mag from "mopar action" its an annual issue entitled "Mopar tech special" as youd imagine its full of tech articles. one of these articles is "maxi 440 power on a mini budget".
while im not going to post the entire article and i cant scan it without ripping each page out of the mag, i can say their engine "built by muscle motors" ...

uses any year 440 block .030, forged 440 or 413 crank, ROSS slugs 791 grams with the pin (12.5 to 1), ultradyne stick .613" 276@.050 108 degrees installed at 102, either M1 single plane or edelbrock torker, 850 dbl pumper, 2" primary headers, heads are 906's 2.14/1.81 "muscle motors level 2 porting" 162cfm@10inches. they go on to say for more performance upgrade to stage 5/6 or Indy heads (obviously).
(oh yeah quality machining, studs instead of bolts etc. etc. etc.)
they claim this to be good for a "reliable 560 rearwheel horsepower, which equates to well over 600 at the flexplate"

not sure how well this would suit your RR/driving style, however they claim 600 HP using mostly factory parts and a BIG cam = }
Old 05-20-2005, 11:49 PM

LuzRD. that article sounds good but all the power comes from that unrealistic 12.5:1 compression. Sure you can build it that way, but the gas would put you in the poor house real quick. Id rather build a motor for torque and pump gas. Build the torque and the HP will follow.