Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Inactive User

Default Challenger Muffler - which one ?

My current exhaust system consists of the following;

Engine : 1970 383 hp (resent rebuild, mostly stock)
Headers: Hooker
Pipes : 2 1/2 "
Muffler : Stock Mopar Resonator only, each side.

Sounds & runs great but is very loud and starting to attract the attention of the local town cops !

I want replace the stock resonators with mufflers. Good flow is important to me but a great sound is slightly more important.

Local exhaust shop is recommending Flowmasters (40 series oval). Tells me they sound great. Never gets any complaints.
Local Mopar guru is recommending MagnaFlow 14x8" oval mufflers. Tells me they sound and flow great. He said the Flowmasters are Ok but make Mopars sound to much like 5.0 Mustangs. Also doesn't think the Flowmaster flows as good as the MagnaFlows.

However everyone I talk to says Flowmasters sound really good.

Because I have already spent more on the exhaust than I should have I want to make sure I don't make any more mistakes. Can someone please advice me which one I should go for.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2005, 12:21 PM

I did a lil searching and found this comparison on a Mustwang site, based on sound only, so it's entirely subjective.
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/30940/index7.html
1. Flowmaster Series 40
2. RavinÂ’ By Midas
3. Flowmaster Series 50
4. Magnaflow
5. Walker DynoMax Super Turbo
6. Walker DynoMax Ultra Flo
7. NPD Turbo 2-1/4

But, checking out a few websites, it seems a slim majority think the Magnaflow has a better sound, if not as loud as the Flowmaster and makes just a bit more horsepower as well.
You ever thought about a set of Imperial mufflers? Very quiet and livable, no droning or buzzing on the interstate, yet big enough to flow decent and not restrict power? I'm kind of prejudiced, but I'd rather hear the carb or throttle body wide open than a loud or leaky exhaust.
Not that I dislike a solid serious rumble thru the tailpipes! :
Old 05-27-2005, 02:48 PM

Spintech maybe my next choice.

www.spintechmufflers.com
Old 05-27-2005, 05:25 PM

I hate the tinny sound of the flowmaster. I think that the DynoMax SuperTurbo or the DynoMax UltraFlows sound much better.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the excellent response. Has helped me. Tending towards the MagnaFlow although I know my exhaust guy will try and persuade me to get the Flowmaster.

Have a great weekend.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:02 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Flow masters are last on the list. They do not flow like there name.
Dyno Max mufflers are real nice and Magnaflows are real good to. Both would be better than flow masters.

My 2 cents is for the Hooker Areo Chambers, then Dyno Max. Both are deep and throaty. Real mean sounding without being obnoxsous. (hummm,sp!)
There are mufflers out there that have stainless steel matting for sound deading/absorsion (sp, yes again)).
2 of which are the Hooker Max flow and Dyno Max, Max Flo. Theres sounds are the same as well as flow. But I'm not a big fan of the sound myself. They are great for power though.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:07 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler
I hate the tinny sound of the flowmaster. I think that the DynoMax SuperTurbo or the DynoMax UltraFlows sound much better.
We must have the same ears. That statement sounds like I wrote it!

torch
Old 05-30-2005, 11:57 PM
Inactive User

Default muffler for challenger

If you are looking for an aggressive sound check out these new Quickflow mufflers at www.quickflowmufflers.com
Old 06-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Inactive User

Ok I took the plunge and went with the MagnaFlows. Sounds good but now a little too quiet for my liking. Certainly a lot quieter than just stock resonators. Maybe I should have gone with the Flowmasters or one of the others sugeested ... will never know cause I'm not spending anymore on that exhaust !

Cheers and thanks for all the feedback
Old 06-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting torch
We must have the same ears. That statement sounds like I wrote it!

torch
I would have wrote that as well, but got beat.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Inactive User

torch
Old 06-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Inactive User

E-body exhaust is an anomaly in that the resonator comes before the muffler in a stock system. On my cuda I have headers, full 3" to stainless bullets welded directly to the 3" stainless tips. No crossover. This system is beyond loud. I ran it this way to get a unique sound. It is very bassy, but not from behind. At low rpm, base is subsonic and is destroying my hearing. It rapps when you get on it. With manual transmission, it pops like firecrackers out the back when you step off gas or downshift. Its not all bad, just not what I expected. Too loud for sure. Now I am thinking I will add the crossover and maybe use borla XR-1 race mufflers as resonators before the axle. Exhaust system is a very expensive thing to get right if you are looking for sound. But really, is it possible to make a mopar bigblock sound bad?

I am new here, How do I start my own thread? Too bad I cant leave a video of my exhaust sound. I would love to here how your exhaust turned out as well.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Inactive User

Default dyno max sounds best

put on dyno max on my 72 challenger with 383 eng sounded great sold car to NY
Old 06-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSHAKERR
E-body exhaust is an anomaly in that the resonator comes before the muffler in a stock system.

With manual transmission, it pops like firecrackers out the back when you step off gas or downshift. Its not all bad, just not what I expected. Too loud for sure. Now I am thinking I will add the crossover and maybe use borla XR-1 race mufflers as resonators before the axle. Exhaust system is a very expensive thing to get right if you are looking for sound. But really, is it possible to make a mopar bigblock sound bad?

I am new here, How do I start my own thread?
Hey yo.

Hows it going?!?!?

I own a '73 Cuda. I could sware up and down that the OE exhaust has the muffler first and resg, at the valance.

To start your own thread and new topic, look for the same look alike box that says NEW POST rather than REPLY.
The fire away!

Welcome aboard.

If it pops like fire crakers, your lean.

Do an "X" pipe iof ya can, an "H" is the min.

I think flowmasters make MoPars sound bad, so , yes, it is possible. However, taste and opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one and it stinks.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Inactive User

Not lean, but rich!

Quoted from anther thread:
when the engine is decellerating, manifold vacuum is VERY high but there is practically no air and a very large amount of fuel in that little amount of air. the mixture may even be so rich that it CAN NOT burn in the cylinders. it CAN burn in the mufflers, though. additionally, under decelleration, the engine will not detonate, knock, or ping. it MAY, however, afterburn. that is the excessivly rich mixture burning in the mufflers/exhaust. it is the pop-pop-pop you hear when cars are decellerating (engine braking) going down hills. this causes no damage, but it can get annoying to some people. it was quite common prior to smog engines. nowdays, this is controlled by using ported vacuum (no advance when throttle is closed) or a valve that opens to release some of the vacuum, a vacuum retard system, and in computer controlled engines, shutting off the fuel source, or some combination of the above. the 440 in my truck afterburns a great deal after a run at the track... i have had people tell me "great fire show" after i cross the stripe. it wouldnt be so obvious except the exhaust is quite large (3") and quite short (less than 7 feet from head to end of pipe) and those big blue fireballs are pretty obvious after dark. - Explained very well. Thanks, Creative1!

Anyway thanks for the info, Rumble. This is a really cool sight I am sure you will see me around now that I have found it.

I have heard the TTI 3" X-Pipe system on an E-body with a big block. It sounded racy, but too smooth, too quiet, too high pitched. I am stayin away from x-pipes. Personal prefferance. I may try the H-pipe. Damn, I need spell check!
Old 06-13-2005, 02:47 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler

I'm with you on that one ED.

Although my mufflers etc are installed I won't be able to hear them any time soon, how ever, I knew I would not like the high pitch sound of the Flowmasters. No offence to any Flow boys but thats just my opinion.

Old 06-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Thank you, I sit corrected.