Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-01-2005, 06:28 PM
Inactive User

Question 16-17" wheel upgrades

Due to the lack of V-rated 15" tires in anything wider than a 215 I'm wondering if there are any low-buck 16" or 17" (junkyard) truck or Jeep wheels with the correct 4 1/2" bolt circle and backspacing for my Mirada (I think it's around 4"?)
Old 06-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Inactive User

Aren't ford mustang wheels still 5 on 4.5"?

I think they are. I have been thinking of trying to find some of the new torque thrusts for my 64.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Most likely not. Besides you don't wont to go bigger on the wheels. With shorter sidewalls you eefect the tires slip angle reducing handling. The heavier wheels will cause it to burn more gas, take more time to accelerate, and take more time to stop. Along with a lot of other things. There's plenty of 15" speed rated tires. Your just not lookin. Best handling will come from a good 15" 60 series tire.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Inactive User

This discussion has come up before, and you may be able to a search for the whole thread, especially the discussion on slip angles and the relative handling of lower profile tires vs higher profile.

DWC: As was asked in the last thread--give us a manufacturer and part number or tire model for speed rated 15" tires in the "old standard" sizes for an e-body, for instance. 235-60-15 front and 255-60-15 rear. I have not found them to be available for a long time now. As the original poster said, he can't find the sizes he needs, and is looking for other options.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Inactive User

Dave, those "Bullitt" replica Torquethrusts would surely look good, anyone know the dimensions? dwc, I HAVE been lookin, thats why I'm asking about wheels! Can you point me to a BFG, Dunlop, Goodyear, or other brand that has a 255 to 275-60x15 in a V or better rating? The Dunlop 275's and Goodyear 255's I have now are not speed rated.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbododge
This discussion has come up before, and you may be able to a search for the whole thread, especially the discussion on slip angles and the relative handling of lower profile tires vs higher profile.

DWC: As was asked in the last thread--give us a manufacturer and part number or tire model for speed rated 15" tires in the "old standard" sizes for an e-body, for instance. 235-60-15 front and 255-60-15 rear. I have not found them to be available for a long time now. As the original poster said, he can't find the sizes he needs, and is looking for other options.
If you find that thread, and it's the same one I am thinking of, you'll find a list of them that I posted on there. I do belive most came from Summit and Jegs alone. There everywhere. At least around here. I pick mine local or order my own.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:45 PM
Inactive User

You listed only manufacturers on that thread, no part numbers or tire models. I checked all the manufacturers that you listed, in all models, and none of them had the sizes we have been talking about then, or now, in a speed rated tire.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:17 AM
Inactive User

Turbododge, thanks; found the thread (12-04-2004 max tire size for e-bodies)
Pretty much covers it. I couldn't find any speed-rated tires bigger than a 215-60x15 either (as I said). As for the esoteric discussion re: slip angles, unsprung weight, etc., the old Mirada will never see a circle track or a car show, only my occasional top-end runs on the local backroads. And I don't really want to go much bigger than a 16 or 17x8 if the tire is available for it. So, lemme ask one more time: who knows of a 16 or 17 incher with a 5 on 4 1/2 pattern, the appropriate backspace, hub-centered like a stock Mopar rim? (Some 5 on 4 1/2 wheels won't have the correct center hub hole dimension) Anyone?? By the way, that blue cuda with the 17s looks great to these old eyes!!!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:42 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Circle track has nothing to do with slip angles, unsprung weight, etc., it all has to do with proper handling as was built into these cars by factory engineers.

There's you a list of tires wider than a 215 with a V speed rating that I found in less than a 20 sec web search. No go find oyu some decent 15" 60 series tires on your own. There out there, just like I said and will offer you the best handling.

BFGoodrich g-Force Sport
(Ultra High Performance Summer)
Overview | Specs | Warranty | Reviews | Test Results
Sidewall Style: Blackwall

Size: 225/60VR15
Serv. Desc: 96V
Load Rating SL
Price: $79
Estimated Availability: In Stock

Continental ContiExtremeContact
(Ultra High Performance All-Season)
Overview | Specs | Warranty | Reviews | Test Results | Survey Results

Serv. Desc: 95V
Price: $75 Special
Qty:

Michelin Pilot XGT V4

Price: $97 Special
Estimated Availability: Low Stock
Qty:

Road Hazard Program $46.56 total with four tire purchase

Yokohama AVS dB S2

Price: $71
Qty:

Road Hazard Program $34.08 total with four tire purchase

BFGoodrich Traction T/A V
(High Performance All-Season)
Sidewall Style: Raised Black Letters

Load Rating SL
Price: $81
Qty:

Road Hazard Program $38.88 total with four tire purchase

Pirelli P6 Four Seasons
(High Performance All-Season)

Price: $84
Qty:

Road Hazard Program $40.32 total with four tire purchase

Kumho ECSTA KH11
(Grand Touring Summer)

Price: $50
Qty:

Road Hazard Program $24.00 total with four tire purchase

Dunlop Winter Sport M3
(Performance Winter)
Overview | Specs | Warranty | Reviews | Survey Results

Size: 225/60HR15
Serv. Desc: 96H
Price: $107
Qty:

Road Hazard Program $51.36 total with four tire purchase

Pirelli Winter 210 SnowSport
(Performance Winter)

Size: 225/60HR15
BMW
Serv. Desc: 96H
Price: $100
Qty:

Road Hazard Program $48.00 total with four tire purchase

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50
(Studless Ice & Snow)
Sidewall Style: Outlined Black Letters

Size: 225/60QR15
Serv. Desc: 96Q
Price: $92
Old 06-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Inactive User

dwc, thanks for taking the time to dig up the references. Went to 4 of the mfgr. sites. Couldn't find anything wider than a 225-60 in a speed-rated 15" except a Pirelli P255-60 VR15 listed for SUV use. I had actually considered a P-metric truck tire but I expect the weight increase WOULD be noticeable, as well as other carcass differences. Actually, I didn't see any wide 60-series in 16" or 17" either - seems you have to go to a 45 or shorter to get wider than 255 (approximate numbers) Anyone have any comment on using a P-metric SUV tire?
Old 06-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
DWC: As was asked in the last thread--give us a manufacturer and part number or tire model for speed rated 15" tires in the "old standard" sizes for an e-body, for instance. 235-60-15 front and 255-60-15 rear.
The widest you list is a 225-60-15.

Dodger: As far as the SUV tires are concerned, it may pay to call the manufacturer and see what they say. In the past, truck and SUV tires tended to be much stiffer sidewalls for load capacity, hard compounds, and tread patterns that were more conducive to rough use than comfort or handling. Now days SUVs seem to be coming with tires that appear more like a car tire than a truck tire. If they are speed rating them, they could be way different than we would guess, and might be just what the doctor ordered.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger1
- seems you have to go to a 45 or shorter to get wider than 255 (approximate numbers) Anyone have any comment on using a P-metric SUV tire?
if you run 16" wheels, I have found 295/50/16's, also 265/ 50/16's

http://www.tires-easy.com/Tires.html. If you can find the wheels, then 16's look pretty cool on muscle car. just a bit bigger with slightly less sidewall, and they fill up the wheel wells nice, even on my 68 charger. I know a lot of guys don't like the looks of anything larger than 15" and that's cool, but I think 16's are a pretty decent merging of old/new. the problem with 16's is that there is not a huge selection of different sizes, seems like the manufacturers are focusing on the 17" and up crowd....
Old 06-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
dwc, thanks for taking the time to dig up the references. Went to 4 of the mfgr. sites. Couldn't find anything wider than a 225-60 in a speed-rated 15" except a Pirelli P255-60 VR15 listed for SUV use. I had actually considered a P-metric truck tire but I expect the weight increase WOULD be noticeable, as well as other carcass differences.
I don't think that Pirelli (Scorpion, correct?) would be a bad tire. I was actually looking at that one for my Sport Fury, since I'm keeping the old-school 15" look, but I want a decent tire. For me, a decent tire means a stiffer side wall, lower treadwear rating, and at least an H speed rating. You're right in that there isn't much choice out there, and for the SF, the tire needs to be TALL to fill the wheel wells. Sticking with the 15" limit for wheels (only to keep my funky full wheel covers), it's got to be a 255 or 275/60-15. There are SO MANY GOOD 17" tires out there now, the temptation to go with a larger wheel is really high for me. I'm going to tough it out and stick with the 15's for now, though.

Quote:
Actually, I didn't see any wide 60-series in 16" or 17" either - seems you have to go to a 45 or shorter to get wider than 255 (approximate numbers) Anyone have any comment on using a P-metric SUV tire?
Poke around on Tire Rack's website and plug in the sizes you're interested in. For instance, in tires speed rated over "T", there are 6 brands of 255/55-17, 3 brands of 265/60-17, etc. Those would be TALL, but may be of interest depending on how you want to fill the wheel well.

RE: Mustang wheels, I've got 95 Cobra wheels on my Valiant, wearing 245/45-17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-010 Z-rated 140-treadwear tires (74 brands in that size, BTW). The two things you need to be aware of on those wheels is the smaller Ford center bore (needs to be opened up by about ~1mm) if you're going straight to the Mopar axle hub, and the BIG offset - typically 5.7" backspace or more. I built my suspension around these wheels... wider 67 B-body rear axle in my car is just about right for the backspace to work front and rear... I can rotate tires, which is important, since my car is a driver. Soon to be DAILY driver. I know guys who have a 235/55 or 255/55-17 on their Diplomats, using the Bullitt wheel and about a 1" spacer (quality spacer, not the cheap junk spacers), and it looks awesome, and handles great.

Hope some of this helps...

Clair
Old 06-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
dwc, thanks for taking the time to dig up the references. Went to 4 of the mfgr. sites. Couldn't find anything wider than a 225-60 in a speed-rated 15" except a Pirelli P255-60 VR15 listed for SUV use. I had actually considered a P-metric truck tire but I expect the weight increase WOULD be noticeable, as well as other carcass differences. Actually, I didn't see any wide 60-series in 16" or 17" either - seems you have to go to a 45 or shorter to get wider than 255 (approximate numbers) Anyone have any comment on using a P-metric SUV tire?

The suv tire wont make a difference and it's still much lighter than a 16" wheel and tire combo.Speed rated tires are overrated anyway. They can take a little more heat than a standard tire. That keeps the belts from braking. Oh yeah, welcome. If I had time I would have searched for better.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Inactive User

The 255-50-17 comes out to be almost exactly the diameter of a 255-60-15, so you get good wheel well fill with it, and there are a lot choices in that size (Impalla SS tire). We run those on the back with a 245-50-16 in the front, which is very close to the diameter of a 235-60-15, so the car stance is very similar to what it was with the 15" wheels on it. BFG makes these sizes in the G-force line of tires.

I think you will find that going to a speed rated, lower profile tire will make a noticeable difference in handling, as long as you have a bit of suspension upgrade to go with it. The improvement on our Chally was significant. You don't see many newer hi perf cars with taller than 50 series anymore, and many are 40 or 45. The only downside that we have seen is that the V rated tires cost us almost 2 mpg in fuel economy.

Running tires much above their rated speed is surely nothing that I would say is a good idea, death comes way to quick if you blow a tire at 140mph.

DWC--We will be waiting for when you have more time to look so you can fill us in on where to find the 235 and 255 - 60 - 15 tires in a speed rated version, since none of the rest of us seem to be able to find them.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:57 AM
Inactive User

As for bigger wheels, I put 20's on my ram and noticed no drop in mpg, It actually tows better to.
as for 17 inch tires, I put a set on my wifes accord and they have wore out in 12000 miles, in one year, so they are not a good choice if you have to drive alot, as they dont make a long lasting 17, a 16 inch tire has a few more options for longevity.
As for wheels, stockton wheel makes 16 and 17's, and the new charger, 300 and magnum have a 4 1/2 bolt center too.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:28 PM
Inactive User

Thanks to everyone for the info. Love to go with Stockton's replica rally wheels in a 16x8 but pretty pricey once the caps & trim rings are included. Clair, thanks for the tip on 255 SUV tires - I may take another look especially if you and dwc are right about a negligible weight increase Also the Ferd wheel info - 5.7" is too much backspace for the Mirada but otherwise the wheelwell is plenty big enough for the tire to look good - similar to a Dippy. I've heard pros and cons re: spacers. Anyone care to comment or link to more info on that subject?
Old 06-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Inactive User

When I was setting up my suspension and test fitting the Cobra wheels, I used billet aluminum spacers I bought from an outfit in Colorado. The spacers bolted to the axle, and had pressed-in studs that the wheel bolted to. They're high-quality parts, and I drove around for several months with no problems of the wheels or spacers loosening up. I didn't want to autocross on them, but apparently some folks road race with them. Neons in particular use them to gain a wider track. I think they've come a long way since the old days with cast aluminum parts. Here are a couple links:
Some of the best
Look good but no experience
http://www.wheeladapter.com/
And I *THINK* that you can have some made at www.AREngineering.com, need to check.

Higher speed-rated tires are going to be heavier, no way around it. Typically, the higher the rating, the heavier the tire, so if I can find an H in what I want, that's as high as I really NEED. I got such a good deal on my Potenzas, I didn't worry about the extra pound or three. My wheel/tire combo weighs 50#/corner, with about 27# going to the tire...

Clair
Old 06-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Inactive User

Thought I would bring this one back to the top, as the question came up again at a Father's day party this weekend. A friend has been looking for 235-60-15 and 255-60-15 for his Cuda in "v" or better rating and has not been able to find anything in a matching set (only the 255 SUV tires mentioned earlier, which he did not care for).

DWC--you had time to find the ones you have been talking about?

Anyone else seen anything, as this question is being asked more and more lately.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:49 PM

Default DCX Wheels

Mopar Action (I think) had an article on factory wheels. The article said that Jeep wheels are 5x4.5 and have the same register diameter.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Inactive User

Saw the item on Jeep wheels and if I recall, the offsets or back-space wasn't what you'd want on a pass.car (3" backspace maybe, instead of 4"?)
Old 06-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
DWC--you had time to find the ones you have been talking about?
I sure would like to be able to tell folks where to find them.