Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum > Hunting & Fishing

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-04-2005, 09:32 PM
Inactive User

Default its about time

after dragging my feet for about 15 years, about three months ago i finally got around to sending in the paper work for my pistol permit(carry concealed).
it showed up in my mail box thursday afternoon. guess who went shopping friday morning

picked up a real nice Ruger P90 (45acp) those of you who carry, what ya got and how do ya like it?
Old 06-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Glad you got it. NOt real fond of Rugers little wound up spring that tends to break. NOt sure if your model has one though without seeing a brak down. Glad you got a .45 instead of those sorry 9 mm and .40 cal that everyone wants. Not much stopping power and will bounce off of a car glass. Test done by police officers using tactil gell (mostly only the millitary uses that stuff) show the .357 magnum as the weapon of choice for a one shot take down and the .45 right behind it.

NO let me explain what a one shot take down is. That does not mean a dead perp. It means that the weapon is powerful enough, and does enough damage to put the perp on the ground and defense less even if he still has a weapon in his hand. Meaning he wont shoot back at you any more.

I don't like the .357 magnum ( even though I own one) 'cause it can go through the body and hit something else. The .45 I carry will not do that.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43
Glad you got it. NOt real fond of Rugers little wound up spring that tends to break. NOt sure if your model has one though without seeing a brak down. Glad you got a .45 instead of those sorry 9 mm and .40 cal that everyone wants. Not much stopping power and will bounce off of a car glass. Test done by police officers using tactil gell (mostly only the millitary uses that stuff) show the .357 magnum as the weapon of choice for a one shot take down and the .45 right behind it.

NO let me explain what a one shot take down is. That does not mean a dead perp. It means that the weapon is powerful enough, and does enough damage to put the perp on the ground and defense less even if he still has a weapon in his hand. Meaning he wont shoot back at you any more.

I don't like the .357 magnum ( even though I own one) 'cause it can go through the body and hit something else. The .45 I carry will not do that.
but, if ya want to go in bear country, a 357 just pisses them off
ya know dwc, i never thought about guns that way before, i always thought of them for killing, not just demobilizing.
hmmmmmm
Old 06-04-2005, 11:06 PM

Biggrin

I have the new .45 Ruger as the duty carry and the older .40 Ruger as my off duty carry (was the old duty pistol and I bought it).

I like the clip release on the new gun. It is only on one side (left) and you can't kick the clip out by accident, bumping up against something like the console in the car.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:20 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Yeah, I hate my Tarus. Even though the mag release can be installed on either side of my .45 it can still be tripped by your Uncle Mikes holster on the left side. I have to watch it, but it's second nature be now.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:33 AM
Inactive User

never considered the 9mm..... just not practical i guess, i went to the gun shop looking for a glock .45 but saw the ruger and fell in love.(and it was half the price) the P90 is a little large to carry concealed but man....what a gun
Old 06-19-2005, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43
Glad you got a .45 instead of those sorry 9 mm and .40 cal that everyone wants.
I've been shot with a 9mm with hollow points, and I agree, it doesn't have much stopping power. But.... a 9mm with hollow points sure leaves big holes when it exits!
Old 06-19-2005, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgorton
after dragging my feet for about 15 years, about three months ago i finally got around to sending in the paper work for my pistol permit(carry concealed).
it showed up in my mail box thursday afternoon. guess who went shopping friday morning

picked up a real nice Ruger P90 (45acp) those of you who carry, what ya got and how do ya like it?
I can't believe you can get a CCW in NY. Here in Kalifornia, they perfer that only the criminals carry weapons. Its impossible to get a CCW in Kalifornia, unless you're one of the leftist politicians or Hollywood types that want to disarm the rest of us!
Old 06-19-2005, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthomas
I've been shot with a 9mm with hollow points, and I agree, it doesn't have much stopping power. But.... a 9mm with hollow points sure leaves big holes when it exits!
Please tell me this was a typo, if you've been shot with something that leaves big holes, you don't need a gun, you'd be plenty dangerous with just a pointed stick!!!!
Old 06-19-2005, 11:58 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthomas

.... when it exits.

Another good reason not to use one for a carry gun. Can you tell for sure if you hit the perp what that round will hit and where it will hit if it exits a body?? If it hit a car, the law suit wont be too bad, but if it hit a person, well I don't have to tell ya how bad it would be.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoga
Please tell me this was a typo, if you've been shot with something that leaves big holes, you don't need a gun, you'd be plenty dangerous with just a pointed stick!!!!
It really happened and yeah... you do hear the shot and the heat when you get nailed! When the paramedics came they cut off my pants and one of them said "Do you know you've been hit in both legs?". I sat up and could see big exit holes and knowing that going into shock was not good, I asked the paramedic, "Am I going into shock" and he said, "No and its a good thing that you aren't and just to relax". When I got to the ER I asked them to not give me any pain meds because I wanted to be alert enough to talk to the Doctor. After talking to the Doctor I said to give me a quarter of the normal shot of pain killer. It actually hurt more a couple of days later. I still have 12 or 13 peices of lead and copper in me.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Inactive User

ya gotta remember that there is a whole bunch more of NY State than the big city. i have never been to NYC and really have no desire to ever see it.
i live about 450 miles east of the coast in the middle of lakes, streams and mountains. my ccw permit allows me to carry concealed or open all over the state except for within the "big" city, Schools and government facilities.

for fathers day the wife "let" me purchase another one....a Ruger Blackhawk .45LC, 7 1/2" barrel with a scope. put darn near $50 through it over the weekend, what a great shooting piece. i would love to take a white tail with it this fall, but we will see what happens