Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Inactive User

Default Ignition timing primer

I'd like to see someone put together a post on ignition timing similar to the one on Demon tuning. I know what initial timing is and I assume that toal timing is the result above say 2000 rpm after the advance kicks in. But I see references to the amount of "timing in the distributor" etc. and I'm clueless about these terms.

When I was a kid back in the 60's I was a gearhead w/ no $$$. When something broke you went to the junkyard for parts. When they ran out of manual transmissions to fit your car you switched it to an automatic. All of the guys I ran around with knew the basics we were all farm kids and you had to know those things to keep the machinery running. We learned by trial and error and what you could pick up from any mechanic willing to be pestered by a kid. When I got married and had kids all of that stuff sort of went by the wayside. Now that they're all grown and I have a few extra $$$ I'm kind of getting back into it. If we'd had the internet and a chat room like this back then I might learned some more of this stuff. So now I'm just trying to play catch up. There's a lot of knowledgeable posters on this sight and I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Banned

Biggrin

That's easy. You already know what intial timming is. And total timming is set with the car idling above 2500 to kick out the mechanical advance weights to full advance. And then using a dial back timming light set at lets say 36* for a small block you set the mark on the dampner at 0. Lock down the dist. and return idle and check your intial just to see what you have.

As for references to the amount of "timing in the distributor" will there are two advance weights in the bottom of the dist. housing. They have a pin on each one that rides in a slot. The length of the slot determines how many degrees of timming is built into the dist. The springs control how quickly all the timming comes in. Want more degrees of timming, make the slot longer. If you want the timming to kick in on a race car at 1800 rpm then use lighter springs. That's pretty much it.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:08 AM
Inactive User

Default Ignition Timing Primer

That's what I like about this place. You ask for something and you get it. Thanks alot Dwc43.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Welcome, anytime.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Inactive User

Consider using 3000 RPM rather than 2600 RPM as indicated in the Mopar manuals because most performance buffs use the MSD and other after market multiple spark discharge electronics. The devices will provide multiple sparks until the 300RPM range is passed, this plays havoc with dial back timing lights and could cause false readings.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:16 PM

All of my advance is in by 2,000 RPM. I am able to disable the multi-spark in my Jacob's, so I was able to see my entire advance curve.