Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Inactive User

Default Autocrossing Neon

I have a '00 Dodge Neon that I've recently gotten into Autocross with. Only problem is that she's an automatic which doesn't do me a whole lot of good power-wise.
As of yet I've done nothing more than change the oil and put gas in when the light goes on but I know a bit and am more than willing to get my hands dirty.
I'm looking for any ideas in terms of tranny mods or tightening my suspension or handling and pretty much anything else that can help me improve my time (short of buying a new car).

Also, while it's not in the budget for a few years now, anyone have any thoughts on the SRT-4? I recently heard that it was a rather difficult car to drive and wonder if anyone has first-hand experience with it.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:07 AM

That sounds like fun! There's been a few parking lot races in my area, I've considered using my 96 Breeze. It'd be at a considerable disadvantage running next to a Neon, but seeing that it's all done with a stop watch and cones, how good you really do is mainly how well you can "stab and steer"!
I figure basics things like a good set of Koni struts and maybe a nicer set of tires and rims. I went from the stock 14 inchers to 15 inch mags and BFG radials on my car, it made a huge difference! You may even want to go with a larger rim than a 15, though I can't give any personal recommendation for a Neon.
I like the SRT-4, but at this point in my life I need a bit more passenger carrying capacity. If not for that, I'd probably have one already....
Old 06-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1
I have a '00 Dodge Neon that I've recently gotten into Autocross with. Only problem is that she's an automatic which doesn't do me a whole lot of good power-wise.
As of yet I've done nothing more than change the oil and put gas in when the light goes on but I know a bit and am more than willing to get my hands dirty.
I'm looking for any ideas in terms of tranny mods or tightening my suspension or handling and pretty much anything else that can help me improve my time (short of buying a new car).

Also, while it's not in the budget for a few years now, anyone have any thoughts on the SRT-4? I recently heard that it was a rather difficult car to drive and wonder if anyone has first-hand experience with it.
We used to run SCCA road courses some time ago. Mostly with a Shelby Charger though. You don't want supper stiff springs like everyone thinks you need. There is a set of springs from Mopar Performance that will lower the car about an 1" front and rear and that will help lower the center or gravity just a little.

You want to get some lightweight 15" wheels and 60 series tires. Never go bigger than 15" or 60 series on any car if you want it to handle and brake correctly. Larger rims are also heavier and that makes stopping and accelerating take longer and the lower profile tire effects the tires slip angles and will reduce handling,braking, and acceleration.

Bigger sway bars front and rear are the way to go.This will make a bigger diff in handling than anything else. Adjustable ones will be even better. MAke sure the rear is slightly smaller than the front to induce a little understeer or push so you wont be swapping the rear end around if you make a mistake and enter a corner too fast.

Nexs upgrade that will really help is one GRT2 Struts or some ACR Mopar Performance struts front and back. The ACR was a factory option for the Neon just for auto crossing. These struts are adjustable with a small plastic knob.

Just for a note, the older Charger struts are the same as the Neon.

Next up grade your brakes. One thing we did to our Charger was to use 88 Caravan front and rear brakes. It really helps.

A manual tranny would help, but for now, get a shift kit or valve body from TCI at www.tciauto.com or from Mopar Performacne.

Engine mods that will really help you, would be to add a sim to the 02 sensor, and then get rid of the cat and install a 2 1/4 pipe from the engine to the rear with a flowmaster or some other type of muffler. They make headers for your car too. After that, cams and computer chips will help increase power. A dual cam head will really wake up the car too. There even putting the 2.0 dual cam head on older 2.2 heads with mods of course.

Main thing to remember with autocrossing is get it to handle. In any kind of racing, handling will get you more speed over the competition than the engine will in most all cases. Point and stab driving wont get it. You must be smooth with the steering,braking, and accelerating in order to win.

Hope that helps some. Let me know if you need any more help.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Inactive User

Hey thanks! That's some great advice and I know exactly what you mean about point and stab, which I feel like I'm doing a lot of. However, my slalom's have gotten tighter and smoother since I started which makes me happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43
Just for a note, the older Charger struts are the same as the Neon.
This could be a very helpful note. I'm headed up to Carlisle in July for the All-Chrysler event. Any idea which specific Charger years I'd be looking for?
Also, what does a shift kit or valve body do? I'm guessing just allow me control over when the car shifts.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

Biggrin

As far as I know, all the '83 and Up Chargers are the same in fit. The valving is different between the Shelbys and GLHS cars. Those will work too. K car stuff will fit too. Shift kit will give you firmer quicker shifts and cut some time off your laps if your running at tracks long enough to shift. We were running 5 spds and the tracks were so short we never got out of second, but it was wounhd tight at times.