Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Inactive User

Default Loud Exhaust

Here are some shots of my exhaust. It is headers, full 3" 14 ga. pipes, stainless Aero-Turbine mufflers, 3" stainless tips. There is no cross over. I ran the system like this to get a unique sound. It isn't what I expected though. To say Aero-Turbines are louder than flowmaster 2-chambers is a serious understatement. I get compliments on the sound all the time because it sounds raw and powerful, but it is unbearably loud. I am considering adding Borla XR-1 race mufflers as resonators in front of the axle. I may an a crossover h-pipe too but I dont want the sound to be changed too much at idle or cruising. At WOT it sounds like open headers. It just SCREAMS. I hear the XR-1s may make it deeper and cut the rapping some. Everytime I drive the car without earplugs, I regret it. Its killing my ears. Anyone have any experiance with these Borla XR-1? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 inch system.JPG (64.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Aero Inlet.JPG (59.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Aero Outlet.JPG (52.9 KB, 46 views)
Old 06-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Inactive User

The XR1s are also straight threws. Why not add anopther set of those and see if it helps. Also a X or H pipe will quiet it down a bit.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:45 PM
Banned

Biggrin

H pipe wont do it much good. Install an X pipe. The pipes are too big too. Go back to 2 1/2's Unless your making over 600 hp, you don't need 3" pipes and it's killing your bottom end.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:27 AM
Inactive User

I have heard TTI 3" x-pipe system on an e-body with a big block. Its a good sound, but not what I want for myself. Looking for loud, deep and choppy. X-pipe was smooth and higher pitched. I would love to hear a 340 at 7500 rpm trough an x-pipe system.
Also, I am not worried about losing power because the pipe is too big. I would glady give up some horsepower to get just the right sound. I didn't notice any loss after stepping up. But hey, I dont race at the track either. I also spent a lot on those 3"mufflers and tips. I don't want to do them over to chase some low end torque I can't even feel. However, in retrospect, I am thinking 2-1/2" tailpipes with muffler before axle would sound deeper. I did a lot of research on exaust systems and mufflers and my conclusion was that a muffler makes the deepest tone when the gasses pass through slowly. I was told by several muffler manufacturers that a muffler placed farther back will be deeper because the exhaust is cooler and shrinks, so it passes slower through the muffler. Well it didnt really work out that way. Around the sides and front it sounds real deep, But from behind it is less deep than I had hoped. I was looking for loud and deep out the back and quieter inside the car.
So I have ruled out the x-pipe and stepping back to 2-1/2 " pipe. I want to try the borla xr-1's because they are 4"thick as opposed to the 6" thick aero-turbine's.
I guess I will just have to get my engine up over 600 HP so the exhast system will be propper. Then everyone will be happy!
Old 06-19-2005, 12:28 AM

Man, you could use some packs or resonators or SOMETHING back where your tubes converge. An X or H would help the rattle but you have too much tube length without an expansion device. I think 6 foot is about the max you want to run, headpipe, tailpipe, whatever between resonator/muffler. You may get that 54 Chevy low rider rasp when they get off the gas pedal, you know that 1 1/4 inch exhaust wap-wap-wap sound. It is resonation to the 3rd or 4th power. Itll mellow it out too. Nice exits though!
Old 06-19-2005, 01:31 AM
Inactive User

Smile

No experience with Borla XR-1 but I do have a set of Cherry Bomb glass packs under my car and exiting the side.

Cherry bombs are exactly what I wanted; deep, loud, and sound great at idle and low-mid RPM. Funny because they were also all I could afford at the time. A little obnoxious at high RPM but she very rarely goes over 5500 RPM even when I race (28 year old unrebuilt 360).

I will soon need new glass packs so keep us informed on how you like whatever new packs you end up getting.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Inactive User

SShaker, Email me if you wish and I will send you a link for a for my 408 with an X pipe and Dynomax mufflers
j.kamstra@sympatico.ca