Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Power Adders

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Inactive User

Default poly heads

i recently bought a 66 coronet 440 with the poly 318. the motor needs its share of work. any tips on stroking the motor, don't want to leave it stock. will the (la ) heads work on the wide block or will I have to do some work on these heads. would like to use the stock forged crank and stroke it but will the heads hold the power back. any tips or help. thanks.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Inactive User

easy-mopar 4" stroker crank bolts in, with a bore to 4" it reaches 400 cubes! no you cant use la heads, nor would you want to because one of the advantages to the poly is the exhaust ports have a much better design, easier the gasses exit, more power you make. i think you should come over to the poly group and throw your ideas around, we will give some good advice over there from folks who have been there done that, including one gary pavlovich, a professional poly engine guru. address is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/318poly/
dont be shy, the more the merrier and there are some great aftermarket parts to be had that are becoming availiable. hope to see you there! ben simpson
Old 07-08-2005, 11:46 PM
Inactive User

My dad still has a real mean cam from a 303 Plymouth that he ran in a rail dragster in the 50's. BTW, I am owner of S&W Performance, a Mopar only engine builer that specializes in efficient power and MPG on Moper engines. I have heard and heard from my dad about the poly motors, but only own two. Both 318 industrials from generator and water pump (ag type). I would be willing to port and polish a set of poly heads for 100 bucks just to get the template down, and archive it. This way it would be a lot quicker next time. I've done B, RB, LA type, but I have never done a Poly. I would like to tell my grandkids I did it. :-) PCRMike
Old 07-23-2005, 09:50 AM

I've posted pics of a sectioned head from a Poly 318 in the Performance forum under 'Poly head cutaways'...

Mike, we'd be very happy to correspond with you on our Poly project. raybell@racingphoenix.com and bensimpson@racingphoenix.com
Old 07-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Inactive User

"POLY HEADS"

"I Reckon poly Heads are a great Design,Ive had a set of these on a flow bench & they flowed Great as Ben said they flow even better on the Exhaust side than the LA type Brethran & the intake was not so bad either, with some porting & even Bigger valves they will flow like a windstorm just get rid of the standard Exhaust manifolds they hold to much back."The Biggest plus i reckon is the combustion chamber design polyspere canted with the deepest part of the chamber right where you want it over the exhaust valves & the spark plug angled towards the intake charge(valve) these Heads i reckon promote good scavenging(kinda like the forunner to all the heart shape chamber designs today but without the pesky heart point in the middle of the valves) "The only thing better is the Hemi or some of these after market heads that cost Thousands"...
Old 07-24-2005, 10:15 PM
Inactive User

its always good to hear from someone who is willing to accept that an engine with no real history of high performance has its advantages. the poly has always played second fiddle to the likes of the old 392 sized hemi's, then big blocks, then the 426 hemi's and big blocks at the same time. i dont think that there is as much wrong with them as people would have you believe, in fact i reckon they were quite a way ahead of their time with that canted valve arrangement and the cast in quench pads.
scarecrow you may like to check out a poly group if you think you may be building one in the future, there are some good knowledgeable people there all willing to help out. its at
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/318poly/ come visit us you will enjoy it!
ben simpson
Old 07-25-2005, 04:43 AM
Inactive User

"Thanks Ben Will Do"