Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-09-2005, 08:28 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Default Jacobs set up problem

Well I am on vacation so its time to figure out the Jacobs and I need any and all advice. I had a problem with the car surging and boging after I installed the ignition module. I wrote the company about the problem and the reply was...gap the plugs to 50 and take some timing out of the motor because the Jacobs will make up for it. Ok, did that... well it does suge after taking the motor all the way down to 0 degress, granted it now pings under hard accelleration, and idles like crap but pulls really well. One more thing is that when the car was surging only under mid accelleration it ran a whole lot better with the vac advance installed. Mabye I need to take the timing the other way? Need some advice on this, it isn't the first go round with this unit. I need it installed because it works great at the higher rpms and I have a 5 hour ride down 95 coming up next week! Opinions, let me have it!!!!
73 Swinger
76 Ram 3/4 Ton
77 Ram Shortbed 1/2 Ton
74 Duster w/318
92 Sundance
89 LeBarron Convertable Turbo
Old 07-11-2005, 01:35 PM
Inactive User

Default Shrug

I'm not an expert or anything But I am pretty sure that Mopar probably has the best stock ignition control system out there for the time period anyway
What I have done in the past to get better results was replace the stock blue brain box (about 5500 RPM) with an orange performance one (up to 6500 RPM) and as far as the vacuum advance I disconnected it and put lighter springs in the distributor to let the advance kick in right away.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:42 PM
Inactive User

Jacobs quality control is lacking. At least a few years ago. Timing and plug gap isn't going to cause those problems. Don't use platinum plugs, the pinging might be fixed with a colder plug. I had a system the original controller died. They sent me a new one and it would run for 1 minute and die. Sent that back and got another. It did fine. I eventually sold it. It was rough on the stock distributor components. Pickup and rotors and caps.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:23 AM

The bad years were right after Chris sold the company. Hopefully things got better with Mr. Gasket.