Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:39 AM
Inactive User

Default 318 Truck Performance Help

My friend has a 350 vortec 5sd that ate me alive in my 89 dodge truck with a 318 4spd....i dont know too much bout vehicles....except that i want to beat him....i was wonderin if anyone knew some good ideas so get more power from my D-100. I havent put anything on it but a k&n filter with the xtreme top filter...its fuel injected so i cant do the better carb....
Old 07-15-2005, 03:49 AM

Here are a few ideas off of the top of my head.

A larger throttle body. Larger injectors. Performance intake. Better clutch. Deeper gears. Bigger rear tires and narrow front tires. Performance ignition system. More weight over the rear tires, to help it hook.

Depending on how much you are looking to spend, turbo charger or procharger.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:06 AM
Inactive User

Default 89 Dodge D-100

yea someone told me to put a supercharger on it but i cant seem to find one....i dont have the money just yet but i am saving...what would be the best for the injectors and i thought about finding a 5spd for it an 3.73 gears or 3.91's.....oh yea and my buddy just bent the shift rails in his transmission tonight....thought that was funny....i had to follow him home....a friend of mine found some headers and im hoping to get my exhaust done soon...an what about putting some 360 heads or magnum heads....cause a guy who had a D-100 for drag told me it was a good power increase....what about putting a bigger cam....and by intake you mean....air intake....because i have never heard of a cold air for my truck....like i said...i dont know too much about engines so you might have to be specific...sorry...a lot of questions
Old 07-22-2005, 12:12 AM
Inactive User

Hey man just the guy i need to talk to. I have a 88 model d-150. I am changing out from roller to flat tappet. I just bought a cam and installed it and let me tell you it gave me at least another 50 to 75 horsepower. I wanted more so i pulled it after only 150 miles and now i am trying to sell it to someone who has a set up pretty much like me. I would recommend this cam it is a comp grind 110 degree 212/int - 218/exh duration 457/int -487/exhaust power band from 1200 to 5500. also you can use your lifters they are roller lifters and the cam has already been broke in i paid 295.00 for it will take 125.00. Then i would put headers and then a mallory hi fire ignition which i also have will take 100.00 for that new in the box. Then use a Mallory Hi Fire coil will take 25 for it used 1 year. Then the injector upgrade. The finally get the Hyper Tech Chip and the computer will reset with all the new add ons and you should be pushing about 75 to 100 horspower increase. With the gear change you would have a fast little sleeper. I did all this to mine and it would pull 14's in the quarter with no problem would probably do more but i am easy on it. I pulled the motor for a overhaul it has 130K and i am building it different so i have some extra parts. Good lick let me know.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89dodgeman
My friend has a 350 vortec 5sd that ate me alive in my 89 dodge truck with a 318 4spd....i dont know too much bout vehicles....except that i want to beat him....i was wonderin if anyone knew some good ideas so get more power from my D-100. I havent put anything on it but a k&n filter with the xtreme top filter...its fuel injected so i cant do the better carb....
(1) headers, 2 1/4" flowmasters with X pipe (a big 3" single system will do too)
(2) Slightly bigger ROLLER cam. (crane make sa few good ones, EPW has some too) When you install it, make sure you degree it, comp cams has a great deal on a degree wheel with video.
(3) Do a leak down compression test, and, if you find any valve leaks, pull the heads and have them done. While you are in there, gasket match the stock manifold and heads. Another pointer is this, unless you are going all out, keep the 318 heads (302's) they are better for a mild 318 than ANY 360 head.
Last but not least, learn how to launch it, a truck 4 speed can be tricky, and can be a pain to hit third in a hurry.
Do all this? And that wussy wannabe boretech 350 will be in your mirror.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:57 AM
Banned

Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmopar
Hey man just the guy i need to talk to. I have a 88 model d-150. I am changing out from roller to flat tappet. I just bought a cam and installed it and let me tell you it gave me at least another 50 to 75 horsepower. I wanted more so i pulled it after only 150 miles and now i am trying to sell it to someone who has a set up pretty much like me. I would recommend this cam it is a comp grind 110 degree 212/int - 218/exh duration 457/int -487/exhaust power band from 1200 to 5500. also you can use your lifters they are roller lifters and the cam has already been broke in i paid 295.00 for it will take 125.00. Then i would put headers and then a mallory hi fire ignition which i also have will take 100.00 for that new in the box. Then use a Mallory Hi Fire coil will take 25 for it used 1 year. Then the injector upgrade. The finally get the Hyper Tech Chip and the computer will reset with all the new add ons and you should be pushing about 75 to 100 horspower increase. With the gear change you would have a fast little sleeper. I did all this to mine and it would pull 14's in the quarter with no problem would probably do more but i am easy on it. I pulled the motor for a overhaul it has 130K and i am building it different so i have some extra parts. Good lick let me know.
Sounds liek he has a good cam, if you go thi route, be sure to replacre your valve springs. I dont go over 450 lift on stock springs.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
why would you want to go backwards with your cam Micheal? A roller is the shit!
Old 07-22-2005, 02:38 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetruckboy
why would you want to go backwards with your cam Micheal? A roller is the shit!
simple, i needed new lifters when i put the cam in orignally and after about 150 miles the tick did not go away and i found i hade a lifter bleeding down. i do not want to change just one lifter so a new set cost 180.00. but a new set of flat tappets with the cam i already have will only be 38.00.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:45 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
simple, i needed new lifters when i put the cam in orignally and after about 150 miles the tick did not go away and i found i hade a lifter bleeding down. i do not want to change just one lifter so a new set cost 180.00. but a new set of flat tappets with the cam i already have will only be 38.00.
also, for a computer controlled motor w/tbi this came is great but with a carb and dual plane intake i like a little more lump lumpty lumpity lump lump out of my cams and this one is an advertised 290 duration with 454 lift compared to a 260 457/487.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89dodgeman
Were going to need a litle more info from you. As it stands now, your behind the 8 ball a tad in cubic inchs and down a gear. Also, when it comes to driveabilty, the tbi is very good, but can not make power like a carb can. BUT, you can switch to a carb. Easiest way I think would be to make use of a regulator to adjust the pressure down to what a carb needs.
Those years were tuff on Chryslers street performance. The computers are not flexable.

Do you need to pass emisions tests in your state with that year truck?

If not, good. This opens the door a bit wider.
Since you have a roller cam allready, look up Crane cams for several profiles. All you need is the cam, just re-use your roller lifters. (Because there rollers, re-use is not a problem.)

Tell us exactly whats in the truck, as in;
Weight
rear end size (8 1/4 I'm betteing)
Gear ratio
tire size

Also, do you know how fast his truck is in terms of 1/4 mile times? This would give us a target to shot down and kill rather than blind shots into the air.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
also, for a computer controlled motor w/tbi this came is great but with a carb and dual plane intake i like a little more lump lumpty lumpity lump lump out of my cams and this one is an advertised 290 duration with 454 lift compared to a 260 457/487.
Without looking at teh cam card, we wont know for sure, but, there is a possibility that your roller cam is bigger than the flat cam. True, the reason is is becasue rolers lift a lot faster (lobes are steeper). Look at the lift fo rone, big duration difference without much lift difference.
The 290/290 mech roller I have with 590/610 lift sure dont sound like a 290/290 flat cam, or run like one.
Just a example
Old 07-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Inactive User

Default Lifters

I hope you are not going to use flat lifters on a roller cam?
From everything I have read that won't work well, if at all !
Old 07-23-2005, 11:50 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdart
r u crazy everyone knows flat on flat and roller on roller. i stated that in my description lol.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
r u crazy everyone knows flat on flat and roller on roller. i stated that in my description lol.

easy.

I was doing some thinking, and comparing to the stock cam. I think your cam is too big for his TBI mike. The TBI computer is not very accomidating to upgrades.
And, also, It was too big for your 318 too!
Old 07-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdart
Ive heard this too...but never heard the reason why....Anyone out there with a why?
Old 07-24-2005, 06:03 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Sorry but, not everyone knows that. Only trying to help you not insult you
Old 07-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Inactive User

Default Thanx

thanx guys for answering my call....ill have to get the specifics on everything like exact weigth an all....i know that it is all stock...no extra weight and if so maybe.....pushing it....50 lbs for a short bed single cab factory D-100....the truck has 308's for the gears and i have to say third has never been a problem for me...im about to change the tire size and also thought of putting my '68 carb 318 in it....because of the extra trouble from putting the new cam in the fuel injection 318....i havent found a hypertech for mine either.....searched everywhere....the only thing i have found is a jet chip for what thats worth....and no i dont have to pass an emissions test where i live....at least i dont think so....i live in tn so if anyone knows.....let me know....because i tend to not pay attention when im preoccupied with having fun....on the cam u had for sale....let me get a little more money up because im going through a job transfer and want to make sure i can cover myself first.....thanks yall....should kill him soon.....keep the ideas coming....oh an thanks for the specifics cause like i said i dont know to much about motors....
Old 07-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetruckboy
easy.

I was doing some thinking, and comparing to the stock cam. I think your cam is too big for his TBI mike. The TBI computer is not very accomidating to upgrades.
And, also, It was too big for your 318 too!
How do you think a 457/487 lift cam is to big for a 318? I dont think that is to radical. The duration is low enough to run on stock convertor. This cam was design for a 318 and a stock tq convertor. I have done this on a tbi and after i did the cam change i ran a little larger injectors and then installed the hypertech chip and it took all of my mods in consideration and ran just fine. I am not trying to be a know it all or anything i am just stating things i have done to my own computer controlled 318. As for the cam being to big for mine enlighten me please. thanks.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:31 PM
Inactive User

Default Forgot!

This is a everyday driver so i dont want to mess anything up so im staying mild but.....as for the 1/4 mile and all.....im just running him on the road....this is my only source of transportation so i dont want to mess anything up....and michealmopar....where did u find your hypertech??...and what would be best on headers choice??
Old 07-25-2005, 01:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
How do you think a 457/487 lift cam is to big for a 318? I dont think that is to radical. The duration is low enough to run on stock convertor. This cam was design for a 318 and a stock tq convertor. I have done this on a tbi and after i did the cam change i ran a little larger injectors and then installed the hypertech chip and it took all of my mods in consideration and ran just fine. I am not trying to be a know it all or anything i am just stating things i have done to my own computer controlled 318. As for the cam being to big for mine enlighten me please. thanks.
Quote:
212/int - 218/exh duration 457/int -487/exhaust power band from 1200 to 5500.
stock cam is 240/240 (adv), 391/391 (lift)

quite a big difference, I di dsome research earier this year, before the ramcharger got wrecked, I was thinking of souping up my 91 360.
After talking to people who ACTUALLY did it, the had bad luck going any bigger on the cam. What they did that worked best was better valve springs and 1.7 rockers messing with duration cause idle and warm up problems, such as dying in gear. The older computer was not as smart as the newer ones, and had a hard time adapting.
I have a comp cam 260/260 and it is too big for a TBI motor, I can hear it WAY to much for a computer 318. Cant have a lopey idle in one, or it will mess with vacuum, and O2 readings. (from people who have tried)
Your camis bigger than this one.

Quote:
I have done this on a tbi and after i did the cam change i ran a little larger injectors
I cant find larger injectors for my TBI, where did you get them? I can find bigger, more cfm TBI's, but no injectors. Hell, there is only one injector on a TBI.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:01 AM
Inactive User

[QUOTE=dodgetruckboy]stock cam is 240/240 (adv), 391/391 (lift)

quite a big difference, I di dsome research earier this year, before the ramcharger got wrecked, I was thinking of souping up my 91 360.
After talking to people who ACTUALLY did it, the had bad luck going any bigger on the cam. What they did that worked best was better valve springs and 1.7 rockers messing with duration cause idle and warm up problems, such as dying in gear. The older computer was not as smart as the newer ones, and had a hard time adapting.
I have a comp cam 260/260 and it is too big for a TBI motor, I can hear it WAY to much for a computer 318. Cant have a lopey idle in one, or it will mess with vacuum, and O2 readings. (from people who have tried)
Your camis bigger than this one.
i give up. i try and ask why and i dont get an answer. the duration is what causes the uneven idle. lower the duration and it calms the motor down raise the lift and it gives power on the top end. this is info straight from comp, hughes, and crane. they all do custom grinds for cars with computers. this cam is a custom grind and it works fine and you can barley tell it has a lope at idle. a 450+ lift cam with small duration has been used in the vortec 350, the magnum 318,360. using the same principal you can use the same type cam in the older computer tbi's and it will not mess with the computer if you reprogram it. and all you are gaining are some cruising speed torque and get up and go power. it is not making it a drag truck.i dont mean to come off strong or ungrateful for your input. i just think saying 457 is to much is not realistic.thanks