Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-17-2005, 07:54 AM
Inactive User

Default 6-barrel Vs 4 Barrel?

I have an awesome 6 barrel on my car and it runs very well but i know that the technology today with the 4 barrel esp the Demon carbs are awesome also. would i see an improvement in 1/4 mile times if i swaped out my 6-barrel for lets say a 750-830 mighty demon carb. Has anyone done this and was it worth it for the performance. my car runs low 12's now and the specs are below. i will keep my 6-barrel set-up anyway. thanks
Old 07-17-2005, 09:43 AM

MOPAR Muscle did an aticle on that about 8 months ago. They found that when properly tuned to the engine, the 6 pak was almost as good as a properly sized and tuned 4 bbl. If I recall, the 4bbl was good for an extra 15hp and 10 lbs ft of torque.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

I remember that. (The small block shoot out at least.) The 6 pak was no slouch at all. For a dual palne from yesteryear, it really did a smokin job.

Mr.B, I'd say the potential is there, but I would only swap it out for an easier tune. WOW! factor aside, the difference between them are small. I think it's a suite to taste item.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Inactive User

The eye appeal of a 6-barrel on top of an engine speaks for it self. i remember the artical on the small block. i thought if i could pick up a couple of tenths well maybe i would keep a standby for going to the track. that is an easy swap that would only take a few minutes. i was wondering if anyone has done this and if it was worth it.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Inactive User

Its hard to say, those 69 1/2, 6 pack RRs run pretty damn good in stock form, try it and see
Old 07-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Inactive User

If driveability is an issue the big 4BBL on a single plane manifold will not come close to the manners of a 6-pak on the street.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Inactive User

Just as a matter of opinion... the 6 pack WOW factor would be enough for me to leave it alone... If you insist on trying a 4bbl over the 6 pack.. I would be very careful about where I got my carb... I will NEVER get a Demon from anyone but Don. Reason being (I have 5 of them) bought from a parts distributor... they SUCK. Between tearing them down to clean more of the casting sand out or cleaning whatever the fuzzy stuff that acumulates (where does that crap come from???) I'm very disappointed in them all... I have not had any problems with the Holleys I put on... so I surmise the problem is with the Demons....
Old 07-18-2005, 12:52 AM

Hmmm, no problems with my Demon and I didn't get it from Don.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Inactive User

Depending on how the 6bbl is set up you can pick up a little time... My buddy sets these things up pretty often... he uses lighter springs and does something (??) with the vacume pots, and other things I suppose... it does a little to the maners on the street but it really turns them on for a little street/strip action...
I would think that any good Mopar/carb man would know the mods my buddy does. If not I could ask him and post the mods here if you want.

Oh, and in response to my earlier coments... I had good luck with the first two demons (just to be fair... I mean, that's why I bought 3 more...) but the last 3 pretty much turned me off of them... and two of the three were a $1000 a pop. Their after the sale support sucks worse than the carbs themselves. (At least for me)

Noooo... Demon will stay in business without me buying them... Other people love them.... I am only telling you of my experience with them....

But back to the point.... I would play with the 6bbl a little before going the 4bbl route.