Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Inactive User

Default a-body rear end mod

i had an idea after searching (fruitlessly i might add) for an a-body 8.75". the following is how i got my stout rearend:

i found a great way to get a seriously strong rear end into your a body with a relatively small investment in time and $$$$.

find a 92-95 Explorer (yes i KNOW its a Ford). they have stout limited slip units and decent gears from the factory and disc brakes. the one i got is a 4:10.

when you find one, pull it out and cut EVERY mount off thing. shock mounts, spring mounts etc...get the mopar perches. once you have that stuff you can easily align everything, but here's the trick! the ford explorer drive shaft is the perfect length for an abody equipped with a sb and a 904. just go to the local driveshaft shop and get a bastard U-joint and you're golden.

now, to hook up the e-brake, use TWO left side cables from a ford explorer. it will hook right into your a-body e-brake with NO modification. now, you have a strong rear end that has plenty of aftermarket support, disc brakes and didn't spend a mint.

sb
Old 07-27-2005, 01:35 AM

Ford 9" out of a Maverick is almost the same width as an A 8.75 and they are everywhere, no discs though.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Inactive User

how wide is the explorer rear?
michael
Old 07-27-2005, 08:46 AM
Inactive User

hey,

that's not a bad swap either! i assume the 8" is also about the same, but would only be worth looking @ if you had the 7.25"! i also like the fact the driveshaft was the right length. that's a bonus!

i will get some measurements for ya'll, as i don't have them here at home.

sb