Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Inactive User

Smile Electrical Connection, Trunk mount battery

I hope this is the correct area to put this threadÂ…

I put my Battery in the trunk of the Duster about a year ago and kind of Mickey moused the connections to the starter relay/starter/batt.

My question is; what type of connecter should I use for this? Is there a switch I could use thatÂ’ll connect the batter line with the starter/starter relay lines? It would be a nice security feature if there was a well concealed switch connecting these but is there such a thing for such large wires. Or is my best bet to solder these wires?

My batt line is circled with yellow and that connecter can come off easy. The starter wires are circled in green.

Thanks in advance!
-Du
Old 08-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Yes, weld it with solder after crimping it with a gorillia grip. Shrink wrap or E-tape to keep it nice forever.
Look no further than how the factory did it. Eye rings connect everything unless it's on the starter realay (Some years) with pig tail connectors.
Just use grommets to prevent the wires from rubbing and grounding out. This will cause a fire. (Ask me how I know this... )
Old 08-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Inactive User

There are battery switches available, they are used on marine applications all the time. Just do a search on a marine site that offers parts such as boat us, etc.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Inactive User

A lot of parts stores carry or can get Cole-Hersee electrical products. They have a good selection of master disconnect switches. If you run at an NHRA track, they will require a master disconnect since you have relocated the battery. They spell out where it can be put, and it must also kill the engine if it is turned off with the engine running.

torch
Old 08-04-2005, 12:16 AM
Banned

Biggrin

I have both types of battery disconnects like Torch mentioned. If your running an alt. you will need a special cut off switch or else it wont kill the engine. IF you need some help with this set up ju8st send me a PM. We build race cars all the time and batteries go behind the drivers seat on oval track cars and either one or two battiers go in the trunk on drag cars. IT also makes a diff in which direction your battery is placed to keep from killing it too.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Inactive User

You don't need a special switch, just run the 10 g. wire from the alternator straight to the + terminal on the battery. Then take the old wire that came from the alternator and hook it up to the large stud on the starter relay. Run the positive wire from the battery straight to the positive stud on the starter. Then run a #4 wire from the starter to the big stud on the starter relay. You're Master disconnect must be in the positve wire at the rear of the car and clearly marked as to which direction is OFF. Wiring it this way will kill the engine when the switch was thrown.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Inactive User

Default Slingshot 383

As a 10ga. wire is already going from thre alternator to the battery to keep it charged, could you please explain for what purpose you do this - "Then take the old wire that came from the alternator and hook it up to the large stud on the starter relay"
thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Banned

Biggrin

No need for all that. Use the dsiconnect for Alt. use and attach the 10 ga. wire to one small pole on that switch and the other small pole to the batt. pos. side. Cut the 00 battery cable into and place each end on the large lugs of the disconnect switch and your done. It's also easier to use an aftermarket solenoid to isolate the starter instead of the stock realy.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Inactive User

In the factory wiring harness, the 10g. wire from the alternator goes through the firewall bulkhead connector, through the ammeter, back out through the firewall bulkhead and then to the starter relay. With battery in the trunk, and the 10g. alternator wire going straight back to the battery, you still need something to power the cars electrical system.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Inactive User

Check out the madelectrical.com website. They got some good info on bypassing the ampmeter and installation of a trunk mounted solenoid for a trunk mounted battery. Great safety mod, as the 00 cable is hot only on cranking of motor and the battery supply is fused with a fusible link.
You could put a 4 pole 2 position switch for cutting power and starter function.
I am not sure if this will comply with racing rules.
Hope this helps.