Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:37 AM
Inactive User

Default 440 performance problems "FIXED"??

After a compression test and long hours of thought and a couple of beers I decided to check the low cylinder, #3, which was at 125. After loosening the rockers, guess what? It immediately brought the compression up to 150. Guess they were too tight. When I adjusted them originally I only turned the adjuster 1/4 turn after the pushrod started to move. I guess I should have locked them down when they moved at all. I've got a new balancer coming and then I will re-adjust the valves and I'll bet that will take care of the problem. I want to thank you guys for your input. There were alot of you who jumped in to help out and you all had good ideas. The majority of you suggested the balancer and or the valves. I had to have a new balancer anyway. It's hard to set valves with timing tape that won't stay on! Thanks a bunch!!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 04:48 AM
Inactive User

Jeff.glad to see you got the engine running better.When you first installed the lifters were they installed dry or full of oil?The reason I ask is that you might still have some valves out of adjustment.It's been my experience that sometimes when you try to adjust lifters that are pumped up they won't bleed down.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, these were pumped up when I was trying to adjust them.
Thanks,
Old 08-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Inactive User

Congrats Jeff, i figured the valves were too tight! when i adj. the valves on a fresh engine, i do it with the intake off, its much easier to see whats going on, and you can adj. them this way before there pumped up. jeff, to get the timing tape to stick, i use 3M weather stripping (yellow) just a thin layer.