Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Inactive User

Default TTI Vs. Others??

This may be a stupid question if so, pardon my ignorance. What is that difference other clearance issues are the benefit or using TTI Headers over others.

I have a set of Hooker headers on my 71 Dart now and don't have any issues. If clearance is the big issue why haven't Hooker, Headman etc... made headers that are specifically designed to address the issues for A Bodies?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...splayPrice%7C0

Old 08-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Inactive User

There are no stupid questions but there certainly are stupid answers. I've only seen TTI's on a small block Aspen but compared to my (coated) Hedmans(360 Mirada) the general quality, the 3/8" flanges, the fact they don't hang under the drag link and have lots of starter room were a definite plus and well worth the $$ ($900 CDN in 2001) They were the first to mass-market an above-draglink design so I guess the others saw no need to do that as we all bought their designs up till then.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:32 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAce
This may be a stupid question if so, pardon my ignorance. What is that difference other clearance issues are the benefit or using TTI Headers over others.

I have a set of Hooker headers on my 71 Dart now and don't have any issues. If clearance is the big issue why haven't Hooker, Headman etc... made headers that are specifically designed to address the issues for A Bodies?

Cleance is usually not an issue. I'ts mismatched parts and tires and/or worn parts like motor mounts that give most problems with headers. TTi's headers run way to close to the tranny. For an auto, heat is the number one enemy with dirt a close second. So I can't see using them with an auto tranny. I just put a set of Hookers on my race car with a mini starter and you can remove the starter without any header issuses either. MAtter of fact I could have used a stock starter, but I needed the higher torque from the mini race starter. We also coat ours with Tech Line and wrap them to reduce under hood temps and that reakky helps out a lot.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Inactive User

I think the biggest draw to TTI for me is the fact they run over the draglink, instead of under it. On an A-body small block car, other designs run a couple of tubes under the draglink and those tubes hang dangerously low, if your driving a street driven car. Those tubes will be crushed eventually, not if, but how soon, is the question. With TTI, the question isnt even an if. Hopefully last set of headers I buy for my car. (famous last words...) Now I like the fit, and the thick flanges and all too, but I dont buy the rigamarole about perfect fit, maybe on some cars they fit perfect, but for those of us with cars a little tweaked (who's isn't?), you'll find some clearancing in order on a tube or two. I had to clearance one tube to clear the idler arm bolt where it protrudes through the draglink, in a hard left turn, and slightly clearance another on the driver's side to give adequate clearance for the Z-bar to rotate, (dont ask). I'm still pissed about that one. All in all, I give the TTI headers a thumbs up, as I am of the opinion that there are very few aftermarket parts on the market that dont have to be clearanced, or massaged in some way before they actually fit, and I feel the over the draglink design is a welcome change in design.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:09 PM
Inactive User

I just installed a set of Hedmans on my 68 Barracuda with a 360. They fit perfectly. I didn't have to clearance anything and they aren't close to touching anything.

I have about 1000 miles on the car since installing the 360 and it still remains to be seen if I will regret the three tubes under the drag link, they have touched on anything yet.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:51 PM
Inactive User

Further to my comments, the Hedmans did fit as advertised in my Mirada - no "adjustments" req'd (except a swap to a shorter /6 starter for easier re & re) and certainly no complaints about fit or quality. The low point under the draglink did get a good whack at the first highway frost heave and that to me is a key advantage of the TTL's for a street machine. Certainly for track use, that clearance point is not an issue. (If you don't know what a frost heave is, then you're lucky enough to live in a warmer place than me)
Old 08-30-2005, 12:18 AM
Banned

Biggrin

I live in a much warmer climate thank God. Most of the problems with the tube under the drag link is due to improper tire sizes, worn or incorrect shock, worn T bars, worn bushings, etc. etc. etc.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:44 AM

Default TTI's

Hi all;

I've had many "A" bodies 68 to 74 Darts Dusters and the like. The best headers I've ever intalled are actually Thorleys (D153 is part number). Took manifolds off took oil filter off, then raised car ~18". The passenger side slid right in. Thought we had done something wrong. Driverside the hard side as we all know, took starter out removed #7 tube off raised engine about 4" and then wiggled them home. Total time about one hour... The TTI's look very similar to my Thorleys. TTI's may actually fit better bought the W2 ones for my 74 Duster we'll see how they fit. A friend and I have installed hooker, hedman, blackjack and others. The Thorleys saved skin, nuckles and our minds over the years unfortunatly dont think there made any more...

Denny
Old 08-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Inactive User

Opps, messed this one up!
Old 08-30-2005, 10:13 AM
Inactive User

Default I like the Hookers

My Hookers are old. From back when they only made one line, ( Equal Length ). Bought mine used from a guy who put them new on his 73 Baracuda and then totaled the Baracuda the next week. I had to dimple in two small places as I recall on the drivers side and they worked great on my Volare'. He had a 360, I had a 340.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:04 PM

I think this is a pretty complete outline of what TTI offers:

* Thicker metal all-around. Longer life, durability.
* External AND internal coatings available from the manufacturer. It helps a lot to keep heat inside and the internal coating also protects against internal rust which would hurt exhaust flow! Personally, I feel that header "wraps" are not a good idea. They get dirty, ugly, and hold moisture.
* Right-angle oil filter adapter not needed.
* Clears all common deep pans.
* The 1 5/8"-1 3/4" step works well on the street and on high-10-11 second race cars! I'm one of several who use them in a class where the rules put a lot of limits on how one can make HP & torque.
* Great fit. Had to shim/raise my trans mount, but it was worn.
* Plenty of room for starter R&R.
* Easiest headers I ever installed in a stock chassis.
* Plenty of ground clearance.

As far as clearance/fit issues among brands, TTI apparently did their homework and put more time and effort into the design. If it doesn't fit, it's very likely due to worn, shifted or bent parts on the car. Production tolerences are easier to maintain on headers than on car chassis', especially if the car is 30+ years old!
Old 08-31-2005, 01:15 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Locomotion: Is there anything you dont like about the TTI's? other than the price of course. what coating did you go with?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:20 PM

lol
No, I couldn't find anything I didn't like about them after reading countless discussions and seeing them on a few race cars I compete against in person.

I don't know what coating company they use, but it seems to be holding up better than some other brands. I figure if they went through the trouble of fabricating quality headers, they would have done the research to provide a quality coating to compliment them. The exterior and interior coatings are an option so you save on reshipping to a coating company!

I'm a firm believer in the interior coating because that's where the rust starts, you don't see it, and you don't usually think about it until it's too late!
A lot of it has to do with having open or closed exhaust, the humidity where you live and store the car and how often you drive it. But it's good insurance for longer life and maintaining smooth exhaust flow.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:05 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotion
I think this is a pretty complete outline of what TTI offers:

* Thicker metal all-around. Longer life, durability.
* External AND internal coatings available from the manufacturer. It helps a lot to keep heat inside and the internal coating also protects against internal rust which would hurt exhaust flow! Personally, I feel that header "wraps" are not a good idea. They get dirty, ugly, and hold moisture.
* Right-angle oil filter adapter not needed.
* Clears all common deep pans.
* The 1 5/8"-1 3/4" step works well on the street and on high-10-11 second race cars! I'm one of several who use them in a class where the rules put a lot of limits on how one can make HP & torque.
* Great fit. Had to shim/raise my trans mount, but it was worn.
* Plenty of room for starter R&R.
* Easiest headers I ever installed in a stock chassis.
* Plenty of ground clearance.

As far as clearance/fit issues among brands, TTI apparently did their homework and put more time and effort into the design. If it doesn't fit, it's very likely due to worn, shifted or bent parts on the car. Production tolerences are easier to maintain on headers than on car chassis', especially if the car is 30+ years old!

Almost sounds like a sales pitch?

Aren't you sponsored by TTI?
Old 09-03-2005, 08:54 AM

Thumbs up

Yes and yes! But I'm just stating the facts and my experience with the headers.

I did research, read a lot of forum discussions and checked out what other racers were using. Afterwards, I felt that TTI was the best I could get even though they don't pay contingency for wins and runner-ups in IHRA. When I approached, talked to them and showed what I had to offer for exposure, they felt that it was enough to merit some help. I planned on getting a set anyway.

I have several "sponsors" who help out to varying degrees, but I only get a little financial support from one sponsor and it's not TTI. Basically, if I like a company and they go out of their way to help me out with service or product discounts or allowances, they are a sponsor and I'll do what I can to promote them. Every little bit helps me continue to race because I can't do it out of my pocket even when I have a good season. There are companies with products that I won't use even if they pay contingencies or provide a good deal on their products simply because I feel it wouldn't be beneficial in the overall scheme of things. With the traveling I do and competition I face, I can't compromise much on the performance and durability of any parts. Class racing is a never ending search for parts that are a little better/faster.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Inactive User

COOL!

Thanks for an honest answer!

I see some benefits over others but if the price was a tad cheaper they would be in my ball park.

Anything you do about the price. LOL!
Old 09-04-2005, 01:34 PM

Well, we never discussed anything related to individual references, commissions, etc. But like most things, a little shopping around might get you a better price. I'll list some sources I know or have heard of, but I don't know where some of them are! Factor in their shipping costs too.

* TTI - direct - http://www.ttiexhaust.com/
* Mancini Racing - http://store.yahoo.com/chucker54/exhaust.html
* John Cambridge @ Baxter Dodge
* Westoaks Chrysler (800) 748-6118 ex 255

There are probably a few other sources that might be found in some Mopar magazines or websites.