Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Polls Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

View Poll Results: Will regular gas hit $3.00/ gal. before the end of the year?
YES 35 83.33%
NO 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Gas Prices

Well, do you think the average price nationwide for 87 octane gas will top $3.00 a gallon before the end of 2005?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Inactive User

I think it will top the $3.00 mark before the end of September, at least around here. Especially because of Hurricane Katrina giving them another piss poor excuse to jack the prices up. Its not like theres a shortage of oil, just a bunch of speculators to make up reasons to up the prices. Thieves....
Old 08-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Inactive User

at this rate.....there isnt alot of doubt in my mind.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Its not like theres a shortage of oil, just a bunch of speculators to make up reasons to up the prices. Thieves....
Dittox2, I'm suprised they haven't yet here today, I payed $2.69 on my way into work today, and it seems like if one of the company execs sneezes, it's an excuse to make prices go up! I'm hoping to go atleast a week on this fill up to try and compensate for the soon to be rising, AGAIN!, fuel prices.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:59 AM
Inactive User

Talked to a couple people in Bismarck ND tonight and they told me gas was 3.04 there today. It is 2.58 here in Aberdeen. shouldnt be too long, kinda takes the wind out of my sails, ya know. uuuuugghh.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoehandley
Dittox2
A Rush Limbaugh fan eh? I dont listen to him much, only when Im trapped in the car with my dad, and he has him on.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:01 PM

BS!

WOW! We may not have to wait that long! This morning in a neighboring town, gas was $2.51/gal at most stations. This afternoon, it jumped to $2.76/gal at those same stations, a $0.25 increase in a few hours!
Old 08-31-2005, 02:56 AM
Banned

on the news, average will be 2.89 by saturday. (here)
Old 08-31-2005, 12:51 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Swinger
Its not like theres a shortage of oil, just a bunch of speculators to make up reasons to up the prices. Thieves....
No, there's not a shortage of oil currently, but there is a shortage of refining capacity here in the U.S.

You can thank your local liberal tree hugger for the lack of new refineries to keep up with our demand.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:18 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie
No, there's not a shortage of oil currently, but there is a shortage of refining capacity here in the U.S.

You can thank your local liberal tree hugger for the lack of new refineries to keep up with our demand.

Thanks, ya tree hugging, liberal, good for nothing hippie bastards! I hope you are all happy now that you are going to cripple the economy because you think that youre cause is more important than anything else in this country!

Anyone for some baby fur seal steaks, or perhaps snowy owl tenders!?!?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:19 PM

Poll in now worthless. Live in UPstate NJ and this AM the local Exxon (who is ALWAYS at least a dime more expensive than anyone else) is at at 3.01 for regular. Cheapest guy is at 2.79 so it's just a matter of time.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Because there are so many liberal tree huggers in the boardrooms of large oil corporations....
It's one thing to have political loyalties, it's something else to blame someone whose hands aren't even on the controls.
Who do you think is raking in LARGE PROFITS right now?
I'll give you a hint, they aren't wearing beads or driving around in a beat up VW bus.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:39 PM
Inactive User

There is a couple stations in MN that are at 3.70 a gallon, it is projected to go up like that everywhere too.
In other news, the Tesoro refinery in Mandan ND is raking in over a million dollars a day profit right now, making the new additions to the plant a huge priority so they can quickly pay off their investment, and also make more money off of the extra production numbers. Fuel quality tolerances are also lowered, so there is an increasing amount of money to be made. YEAH.
Isnt that just great! sigh!
Old 08-31-2005, 07:52 PM
Inactive User

2 days ago......
$2.529 for 87 oct
yesterday morning.....
$2.609
yesterday afternoon.....
$2.769
this afternoon....
$2.999

93 oct is $3.199

all at the same station.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:03 PM

I view prices that vary during the same day as out right theft by the station owner/s.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:03 PM
Inactive User

for $3.00 in my truck, i don't have to walk 18-20 miles...
like the bic shaver, still worth every penny.

sorry, just the way i see it. it helps me to deal with things
Old 08-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Swinger
Thanks, ya tree hugging, liberal, good for nothing hippie bastards! I hope you are all happy now that you are going to cripple the economy because you think that youre cause is more important than anything else in this country!

Anyone for some baby fur seal steaks, or perhaps snowy owl tenders!?!?
I would bet there are some rare frogs out there that don't need thier legs. In Honor of New Orleans, let's have some cajun frog legs!

torch
Old 09-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
A Rush Limbaugh fan eh? I dont listen to him much, only when Im trapped in the car with my dad, and he has him on.
Nnnnoooooo, don't tell me he's also said that!

Gas prices around here are now in the $2.90-$3.09 for regular (what justifies $.18-$.20 difference within a mile or two in the same town at the same time, I'll never know), making me even happier that I bought on monday, I'm only down about 1/8 of a tank since that morning, so I'm hoping on not needing to fill again till atleast next wed. The EPA has lifted the pollution gas restrictions so that will hopefully mean that gas will be cheaper and with out additives like ethanol, and oxiganats (sp?) our area gas mileage will increase some as a whole.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:30 AM

Well, I changed out the BFG's and mag wheels on my Breeze and installed my winter treads on the front and leftover 14s on the rear. My lil Plymouth will get 37 or so on the interstate and down around 30-31 mpg in town, generally.
I've got several cans of gas in the garage that I was using for the mower and the Bobcat, so I figure I can avoid paying for gas completely for a week or so without having to fire up the 20 to 24 mpg minivan or much thirstier 4x4 garbage haulin Ferd.
The only real power we have in this situation is to tune up what we have and try to park the thirstier vehicles until things normalize somewhat.
I do have to say that a v6 4x4 Magnum or even a Neon now seems a lot more likely in my future than the Hemi Charger I wanted so badly...
Though to be perfectly honest, I may put off purchasing a new vehicle completely, possibly for a very long time.
Things are just too unstable right now.
And I remember paying 99cents a gallon in late 99.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:13 AM
Inactive User

Yeah me too, I am driving very little and dont plan on filling up for a couple weeks, all of my vehicles are about full. I am not going to pay these prices that morons are running out to do, they themselves are raisng the prices by proving the demand theory that the retailers are saying.
Three weeks ago my wife was looking at a Mercedes clk and she wanted it bad, so I said that I will research it and I found out it gets 20 mpg and takes premium, I said that gas will be over three bucks in a couple weeks and she looked at me like I was on crack, we didnt get the car, and today she says to me, good thing we kept the Honda huh, To bad, it was a nice car and I wanted for her to get it, But now we are looking at a diesel Jetta, we'll see. Not to keen on a diesel car in the winter, but the Mileage would be nice. And to think, I thought I was going to get a diesel first!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:51 AM

Boy, did I blow it on this poll. I should have used $4 instead of $3! The papers are starting to say $4 in the near future. The .25 increase in 6 hours I saw a couple of days ago is testimony to the insanity.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoga
Because there are so many liberal tree huggers in the boardrooms of large oil corporations....
It's one thing to have political loyalties, it's something else to blame someone whose hands aren't even on the controls.
Who do you think is raking in LARGE PROFITS right now?
I'll give you a hint, they aren't wearing beads or driving around in a beat up VW bus.
You are clueless.

There have been over 200 new refinery plans shot down by liberal tree huggin democrats over the last 15 years, all because they don't want it in there backyard.

This has very little to do with the oil corps themselves.

Same goes with any energy production facility where the numbers are far worse.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Banned

I live in the state with the most oil of them all, and I am now paying 2.89 for regular. Spose to hit 3 bucks by tonight. My F350 uses premium, and so does my 95 ram.

Fast Eddie, you are clueless.
Gas prices are high because we keep buying it, and they make vehicles that burn more and more gas, and we are relying on mid east oil prices, instead of our own.
It basically is a monopoly, we need it, so they raise the prices. Greenies have nothing to do with it, either do Democrats. Thank yourself, me, and everyone else here that burns gas.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:03 PM

Quote:
You are clueless.

There have been over 200 new refinery plans shot down by liberal tree huggin democrats over the last 15 years, all because they don't want it in there backyard.
Well, Eddie, if that is the case, show us exactly which refineries were shut down by these "liberal tree huggin democrats". Where and when, some facts please.
You want to slide in and call names, at least give us proof of your assertions.
Exactly where and when did this happen, which democrats were involved, or were you just "clueless" enough to come in and make this accusation with nothing to back it up? And even if a few refinery plans were cancelled, do you honestly think they would have been enough to help in this situation or can't you see that prices would have risen regardless?
You're not just parroting some Limbaugh talking point, are you?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Inactive User

Hey stoga, there isnt a supply shortage, just a delivery problem to a couple stations in the south and that is why everyone is panicking, and gouging the prices too. If it wasnt for the news on 24 hours a day and 14 channels coming up with there own theories of what could go wrong every second of the day, we wouldnt have this problem.
My neighbor down the street is a good example of why the prices will continue to climb, (at least till everyones broke) He heard yesterday on the news that gas was going up to 3 a gallon and he filled his 400 gallon tank to the top and paid 2.79 a gallon for it. I was like you Idiot, you are making it worse, I said how much do you plan on driving in the next week, he said maybe to town once or twice, I said well you shoulve filled in town then and not paid for this tank to get filled, that is stupid, I hope It goes down just so I can laugh at him for months to come when he is still using 2.79 a gallon gas.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:01 PM

Angry

Today it's $3.08 for regular here in town, up from $2.63 yesterday.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Inactive User

got 3.69 here in southern Illinois...looking at 4dollars before the weekend.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cageman
Hey stoga, there isnt a supply shortage, just a delivery problem to a couple stations in the south and that is why everyone is panicking, and gouging the prices too. If it wasnt for the news on 24 hours a day and 14 channels coming up with there own theories of what could go wrong every second of the day, we wouldnt have this problem.
My neighbor down the street is a good example of why the prices will continue to climb, (at least till everyones broke) He heard yesterday on the news that gas was going up to 3 a gallon and he filled his 400 gallon tank to the top and paid 2.79 a gallon for it. I was like you Idiot, you are making it worse, I said how much do you plan on driving in the next week, he said maybe to town once or twice, I said well you shoulve filled in town then and not paid for this tank to get filled, that is stupid, I hope It goes down just so I can laugh at him for months to come when he is still using 2.79 a gallon gas.
Unfortunately you are wrong about this. The price isn't going up because more people are buying gas. The price was going to go up no matter what. The price of crude shot up faster than the prices at the pump. The usual increases were scaled back (just a bit) from the standard. The oil companies are now retailing at higher prices to get some of that lost profit back. When sweet crude was at 36 dollars a barrel we were paying 2.05
pr gallon. Now sweet is at 70 and rising. The prices did not go up 100 percent. If they did you would be paying over 4 dollars a gallon. I am no fan of the oil companies, but they did hold back as long as they could. Now they are showing their hand. You will see record profits very soon. Ecologists have virtually no bearing on any oil production or lack thereof. Just because some congressmen decide to not allow drilling or refineries in certain areas doesn't mean it hurts the oil companies. if anything the oil companies are on a roll. Since Bush has been in his second term and part of the last term the fuel prices in this country have gone berserk. This will definately hurt his presidency. Wether or not he could have done something different to avoid this is up to history.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
For more than thirty years, the American left -- the Democratic Party, the environmental zealots, and their media fellow travelers -- have been at war with energy producers in America. They have taken for granted the freedom that energy provides, and they have waged a war on those who make it possible.

The left has agitated and the Democrats have regulated and with the aid of the media they have spread environmental panic -- and won. They have ensured that for 20 years no large petroleum refineries have been built in America. They have launched alarmist attacks on the nuclear power industry and virtually throttled it at birth. They have encouraged unwarranted fears about magnetic fields and made construction of new power lines almost impossible. They have inspired junk-science hysterics and limited the building of pipelines that deliver natural gas. In the name of a slip of arctic wasteland the size of the Dallas airport (in a state that is twice the size of Texas) they have blocked the development of Alaskan oil, which would provide consumers with the equivalent of 20 years of imports from Saudi Arabia. For thirty years, the Democrats and the American left have choked off America's energy, and with it a significant slice of Americans' freedom.
Stoga,,

Try reading a little of David Horowitz: The Democtas War Against Energy And Freedom. It'll give you a bit of any eye opener.

I never said anything about refineries being shutdown.

Do you have any clue as to the last time a refinery was built in the U.S.?

Any clue at all?

Seeing as you don't, I'll clue you in, it was 1976.

Another question, do you have any clue at all how much of an increase the U.S. has seen in refinery capacity since 1999?

Try 3%, a whopping 3%.

Wanna have a guess at just how much our need for refined products has increased since then?

I'll let you search that one out, but I'll give you a hint, it's a hell of alot more than 3%.

In California alone, new refinery requests have been turned down and fought against by liberal Democrats more than 75 times since 1982.

You seem to be a smart fella, open your eyes and do some research, you may be a bit amazed at what you find.

custom888,

Oil companies aren't going to see record profits, they already are and have been all year.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for your research Fast Eddie.. I have been doing my own and have come up with pretty much the same conclusion as you. I am just a few hours north of New Orleans, and today alone have seen gas prices starting at 3.29 and several gas stations out completely. After reading everyones opinion on this, I think everyone is right to a point. Politics plays too much of a role in refinery production as does demand, but if everyone in the US didn't buy gas for one whole day, they (the refinerys) would have so much excess surplus they would be begging to give it away. Supply and demand mixed with politics doesn't sound very good to me.