Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Inactive User

Default cooling system query

I've recently seen in a couple different mags an adapter that fits between the water pump housing and the block on the big block mopar engines. It's purpose is to reverse the flow of coolant thru the motor. In other words, when the coolant leaves the rad it enters the cylinder heads and then goes into the block, thereby cooling the heads more effectively and allowing about 10 -15 more horsepower. Is anyone using one of these, and if so what are the results? How thick is this piece as it will obviously move the water pump and fan closer to the rad. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks...............djs
Old 09-13-2005, 01:06 AM

It would have to be thicker becasue it changes the flow from the bottom hole to the top hole and it would have to add some depth to the water pump. Reverse cooling allows more compression too, a guy that runs a 408 small block says he can run 12.5:1 on pump gas with reverse cooling. Trouble is that you can create air pockets trying to drive water down into a block and sucking it out the bottom instead of filling it from the bottom up. Just did some research on this very subject trying to find out how I could run an external pump on my 451. You need a pretty stout pump 2400 GPH to get 40 GPM that, let say a Moroso remote pump, will offer. Shogun sells the manifold (two horizontal pipes with the flange on the end) for about 100 bucks and you plumb in a pump somewhere. You could make it stock or reverse cooling. New GM vette motor has this and its supposed to be the center of its HP design, along with a cool crank mounted gerotor water pump, ala trans pump style. They have a vapor recovery tube somewhere at the rear of the cylinder head to purge air from the system and get rid of pockets. It goes into a reservoir and vapor gets vented to the EGR while the condensed water gets pumped back into the water pump.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:38 AM
Inactive User

As far as I know, GM only used reverse cooling for a couple of years and went back to conventional. Why, I don't know. The mopar BB set up meant here uses a plate in the block with a chevy short pump, the return lines are separate from each side to the radiator. I thought about going with a reverse set up because I use an external EWP pump in the lower radiator hose and the "water manifold" could have been built either way. I decided not to, and because I was so lazy, I didn't even build a water manifold. Just use the stock housing with the pump removed and the hole blocked. Gives plenty of extra room in front of the engine and has worked great for two years now. The pump I use is a varaible speed heat sensor guided pump. It isn't rated for much GPH, but seldom runs with over 6 volts and I have never had problems with its cooling capacity.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:24 AM

That EWP pump is on my Christmas list...Definately the ticket for an electric pump, and it is so simple and lightweight.